First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I really hope Rivian is able to prioritize this. V2H and V2V are HUGE. People here in Austin are just now recovering, many still without power, and if more folks had V2H, it would have helped so many people. Same for the 2021 freeze, which was even worse in terms of power outages. An acquaintance of mine lives on the outskirts of town and his Lightning powered his house for the past few days. Saved his butt. Too bad it couldn't save his trees :(

Plus, being able to quick charge vehicles who are really low on juice would really go a long way to help alleviate some of the range anxiety and fear that folks have about EVs.
Sponsored

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

As priorities go this has got to be near the very bottom. I have a generator for power back up. That's the right tool. Because I don't want to have to shut down the house every time I have to run to the store if the power is out. It's a neat trick, but not really an ideal backup power supply.

OP
OP

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have zero desire to buy a gasoline backup. I am done with that mess. I think its old tech and the wrong direction. Gas stations lose power, the roads are too icy to get more gas, and most people don't keep tens of gallons of gas in reserve to go a week on the generator. If I could use the power stored in my truck from wind and solar, and that much energy could last us over a week... its just a much better solution overall.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Honestly I would keep a $500-$1000 generator in your garage for times like this. I bought one years ago when living in PA and a storm knocked out power for a full week. It was just enough to power our fridge, a few lights and our internet router. I have had to use it 2 other times since then, but now I consider it essential emergency gear. To me that would be much more useful than trying to use my truck for the same purpose.

So sorry you are all dealing with this again. Stay safe.

OP
OP

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I actually have 3 power walls and I love them. But the truck has like 10 power walls worth of juice. Would have been a nice back up for my back up.

Sponsored

Nucleod

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MachE, RAM2500, HD Pan American,,,
Occupation
Systems Engineer, USN Retired
Clubs

We also have power walls for backup, but would really like to have that 5x capacity our R1S represents. We have had occasional weeks long outages here in the Northeast US, usually caused/accompanied by foul weather (little/no solar).
From my very limited research I see a half dozen [potential] offerings in the residential V2X space for tapping that big battery (I think Chadmeo compatible units are the only ones actually in production today). So far Emporia seems to have the most promising/flexible system in development https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works

Biggest remaining hurdles at least for us:
- Rivian enabling the high voltage battery access. Hopefully via software update since they did make this statement last April; "according to a Rivian spokesperson, “All R1T and R1S vehicles have vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-home (V2H) capabilities. While bidirectional charging capabilities exist in Rivian vehicles, regulatory and other regional variables are a significant factor for potential future V2G applications.”
- The additional monitoring, communication, and isolation systems required for connection to the house/grid. Most difficult part will likely be getting it to play well with the Tesla gateway. Already had two electricians laugh at me for suggesting it (with a generator tie-in no less).

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I have zero desire to buy a gasoline backup. I am done with that mess. I think its old tech and the wrong direction. Gas stations lose power, the roads are too icy to get more gas, and most people don't keep tens of gallons of gas in reserve to go a week on the generator. If I could use the power stored in my truck from wind and solar, and that much energy could last us over a week... its just a much better solution overall.
Portable propane generator and a 100lb tank. Not expensive and will probably start after being untouched for a multiple years. Gas, especially with ehtanol, is a poor standby fuel choice.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I actually have 3 power walls and I love them. But the truck has like 10 power walls worth of juice. Would have been a nice back up for my back up.
Also nice to be able to use the truck as a truck.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Portable propane generator and a 100lb tank. Not expensive and will probably start after being untouched for a multiple years. Gas, especially with ehtanol, is a poor standby fuel choice.
This is the way. I have a tri-fuel generator that can run on natural gas, propane, or gasoline. Depending on batteries to carry you through a real long outage is okay but natural gas can keep me going for weeks if need be. Although with the most recent hikes in natural gas prices here in SoCal it's gonna suck to run the whole house on that shit for too long.

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Oh I would absolutely love it, with one caveat. My solar panels would also have to be producing power even if the city power is down.
Right now if the power goes out, and even if it's sunny and perfect out, my panels won't make any power. If I had a battery backup, that would be different, and I would still make power. If the vehicle to home set up included that, I would jump all over it.

Sponsored

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
I really hope Rivian is able to prioritize this. V2H and V2V are HUGE. People here in Austin are just now recovering, many still without power, and if more folks had V2H, it would have helped so many people. Same for the 2021 freeze, which was even worse in terms of power outages. An acquaintance of mine lives on the outskirts of town and his Lightning powered his house for the past few days. Saved his butt. Too bad it couldn't save his trees :(

Plus, being able to quick charge vehicles who are really low on juice would really go a long way to help alleviate some of the range anxiety and fear that folks have about EVs.
For way less than the cost of setting up your home for v2h (see what it costs to set it up for a lightning), you can get a very nice generator that will run your whole home on natural gas (Or propane or gasoline).

Seanfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am curious what needs to be installed at your house for this to work when available. I already have my charger hard-wired in to a 60a breaker but I don't imagine it's a simple as letting it back feed the panel.

In Long Way Up they ended up using the Rivians to charge the LiveWires. Of course, they also used tow charging.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

we get frequent power outages here in the PNW, especially if you live in the more rural areas. above ground power lines and lots of tall trees aren't a great combo.

ive been holding off on installing a natural gas powered generator in hopes i could get an EV that would provide similar capabilities. had a Lightning on order but cancelled due to the dealer markup nonsense. had hopes Rivian would be capable and it sounds like it will be. 🤞

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I am curious what needs to be installed at your house for this to work when available. I already have my charger hard-wired in to a 60a breaker but I don't imagine it's a simple as letting it back feed the panel.

In Long Way Up they ended up using the Rivians to charge the LiveWires. Of course, they also used tow charging.
Best reference for what would potentially be needed is to see what is currently needed for the Lightning. I don’t see why the manufacturer would matter, and I would think the costs would be similar. I think Rivian (and other manufacturers) have an idea on the upgrades someone would have to do to their residential electrical system and know most wouldn’t do it, given a propane/natural gas generator is cheaper.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Your standard EVSE ("charger") is not in play at all. At a very minimum, you need an inverter which converts the DC from the vehicle batter to 240VAC, and an automatic transfer switch that disconnects the house from the power line, so that you are not trying to power your neighbors lol, but more importantly so you don't electrocute the line repair workers.

This is a mimimum of $3k-$4k to install and up to $10k and more, depending MANY factors. That's why some say a better invesment is trifuel generators.....
Sponsored