mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

Reaching out for input to those with more experience in this regard. We have a 2018 Tesla in the house with a Tesla charger set up in the garage. I'm a 2019 R1T res holder and a 2021 R1S res on the books. The Tesla will eventually go when the R1S is delivered. I'm trying to map out the best home charging setup options during the transition. Any thoughts?

Rivian R1T R1S Home charging scenario with a Tesla and Rivian IMG_20180924_194145
Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why not sell the Tesla charger and use the proceeds to get a Juicebox (only brand name that comes to mind) or any other hardwired EVSEs?

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I will have a similar setup in a few months when I'm scheduled to get my R1T. I have a Tesla charger setup on one side of my garage towards the entrance for the rear charging X. We finished adding on to our house last year and in the process I had to upgrade my entire electrical panel. I had another 220 outlet installed at the back of the garage in preparation for the front charge port of my R1T. I've asked my guide if we can get access to the Rivian charger prior to vehicle delivery, but so far it's not possible. I've received mixed answers as to whether or not the Rivian charger will be a simple plug and mount or if it needs to be hard-wired, but my electrician is backed up by more than a month, so that's why I've been asking for more clarification. My suggestion would be to have an additional 220 outlet installed if your home's panel can handle it. I believe there are 3rd party chargers with 2 cords, but keep in mind that you will be reducing the overall charge rate if you charge both vehicles at the same time. The trade off will be the simpler and cleaner look.

I also have a reservation for the R1S to replace our X, so I'll eventually have to figure out how to run the line from the rear of the vehicle to the front without making it a driving/walking hazard.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
This is an option if you want to keep your Tesla charger and don’t need more than 40 amps.

it’s good for road trips too so you can use Tesla destination chargers.

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger, and Mobile Connector (White)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Clearly the simplest option is to do nothing - just charge the Rivian with the Tesla HPWC, Yes you will have to unwrap the cable to reach the Rivian front charging port location and re-wrap it when finished if you want to keep it neat and whether you decide to change or not will be motivated by how troublesome you find that cable fumbling relative to how painful you find having to spring for different EVSE and the costs of locating or relocating EVSE elsewhere.

Certainly the most convenient location for EVSE is where minimum cable handling is necessary and that means putting it about where you stood when you took the picture. I don't know what the garage structure is like at that point but it looks as if conduit could be run across the ceiling from the HPWC location to such a point fairly easily.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hold out to see what the Tesla supercharger adapter looks like. Chances are it'll also be able to do L2 charging as well. You'll probably end up wanting to buy that anyways.

Once the Tesla is gone, then switch the EVSE so you don't need to bother with the adapter.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
It's not clear to me that it is going to be feasible to charge Rivians at a Tesla SC simply because I don't see how one would position a Rivian within a stall with its charging port reachable by the cable except in a few exceptional locations where one can get around behind the terminals. That is the case today. If Tesla does in fact go ahead with its plan to allow access to CCS vehicles it may well start building new stations (it will have to) with cables that are designed to reach a charging port located anywhere on the vehicle. This is going to mean longer cables i.e. a new terminal design and I believe that the new design will not only involve longer cables but the addition of a second cable with a CCS plug. Thus I don't see adapters being part of the long term picture. You don't make adapters that handle 500A and if you do they ain't cheap.

If you are going to charge from HPWC you will need an adapter such as a Tesla Tap which will cost $170 for the 50A model. While I am sure that as suggested a SC to CCS adapter would handle L2 charging I doubt that anyone would want to buy one of those and even question whether they will ever be offered for sale. If Tesla rolls out with an adapter based solution initially I expect the adapter to be owned by Tesla and chained to the terminal.

Last edited:

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
I currently have 2 Teslas - 1 charging with a HPWC and 1 charging off UMC on a 50A 14-50 outlet. My plan at this point is to keep both cars and get the R1S.

I think the 2 Teslas can use the HPWC as the primary charging method - get them to 80% quickly - and then flip 1 of the cars to a 110 outlet trickle to keep it charged. I will then have an open 14-50 outlet to use for the R1S.

If I were getting rid of the Teslas HPWC I would probably put in a pair of 14-50s in its place.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I currently have 2 Teslas - 1 charging with a HPWC and 1 charging off UMC on a 50A 14-50 outlet. My plan at this point is to keep both cars and get the R1S.
Note: UMC = Universal Mobile Connector i.e. the thing that comes with the car for charging from I'll guess 12 different types of receptacles.

I think the 2 Teslas can use the HPWC as the primary charging method - get them to 80% quickly - and then flip 1 of the cars to a 110 outlet trickle to keep it charged.
Why bother?

If I were getting rid of the Teslas HPWC I would probably put in a pair of 14-50s in its place.
You can't do that. Each 14-50 has to be on its own circuit.
Which isn't the point really. The point is that there are so many options on how to do this that each individual has to decide how he wants to arrange things modulated by how much he is willing to spend to get things to his liking. The optimum is EVSE for each car mounted close enough to its charge port that one has simply to lift the pistol out of its holster and plug it into the charge port without coiling or uncoiling any cable and that is capable of charging it at its maximum L2 rate. Garage and/or driveway configuration, electric service and/or budget limitations may make some of these things impossible or impractical. They guy up the street works off a UMC plugged into an extension cord draped over his fence.

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why bother?
Tesla recommends when not driving the car they should be plugged into the wall. I would simply use the HPWC to quickly get the car to 80% then move it to the 110 to keep it at 80%. There are 2 drivers in my house and with the R1S there will be 3 cars. I think a 110 trickle charge will be sufficient in most cases to maintain SoC for 1 of the 3 vehicles - especially in winter when my M3P probably won't get driven much compared to the MX or R1S.

You can't do that. Each 14-50 has to be on its own circuit.
Which isn't the point really. The point is that there are so many options on how to do this that each individual has to decide how he wants to arrange things modulated by how much he is willing to spend to get things to his liking. The optimum is EVSE for each car mounted close enough to its charge port that one has simply to lift the pistol out of its holster and plug it into the charge port without coiling or uncoiling any cable and that is capable of charging it at its maximum L2 rate. Garage and/or driveway configuration, electric service and/or budget limitations may make some of these things impossible or impractical. They guy up the street works off a UMC plugged into an extension cord draped over his fence.
My HPWC is on a 100A circuit, so I would just replace that (2) 50A circuits with a couple 14-50s so the maximum load from EVs is the same on my panel. Would be really easy to do since mine is in conduit and only like 10 ft from the breaker. I don't plan to do the HPWC removal until the date if/when I leave the Tesla family. I've been thinking about how I would redo my setup if I switched to 100% Rivian or non-Tesla EVs and this has been my planned solution.

OP has a lot of unfinished garage space from his picture. Probably would be easy to flip that HPWC to some 14-50s as well.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla recommends when not driving the car they should be plugged into the wall.
Sure and I do that if it's convenient but I often leave it unplugged for several days. As I said, why bother?

My HPWC is on a 100A circuit, so I would just replace that (2) 50A circuits with a couple 14-50s so the maximum load from EVs is the same on my panel.
I'm not sure you can do that and I don't have the code with me so I can't check. Things are a little different when we are talking about 100 A circuits than when we are talking about 15 A ones.

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
Tesla recommends when not driving the car they should be plugged into the wall. I would simply use the HPWC to quickly get the car to 80% then move it to the 110 to keep it at 80%. There are 2 drivers in my house and with the R1S there will be 3 cars. I think a 110 trickle charge will be sufficient in most cases to maintain SoC for 1 of the 3 vehicles - especially in winter when my M3P probably won't get driven much compared to the MX or R1S.

My HPWC is on a 100A circuit, so I would just replace that (2) 50A circuits with a couple 14-50s so the maximum load from EVs is the same on my panel. Would be really easy to do since mine is in conduit and only like 10 ft from the breaker. I don't plan to do the HPWC removal until the date if/when I leave the Tesla family. I've been thinking about how I would redo my setup if I switched to 100% Rivian or non-Tesla EVs and this has been my planned solution.

OP has a lot of unfinished garage space from his picture. Probably would be easy to flip that HPWC to some 14-50s as well.
Rivian R1T R1S Home charging scenario with a Tesla and Rivian 1629930598407

Could swap your Tesla HPWC for a Clipper Creek Dual Charging station, there are a couple dual charging stations on the market. then use the adaptor for your tesla.

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1629930598407.png

Could swap your Tesla HPWC for a Clipper Creek Dual Charging station, there are a couple dual charging stations on the market. then use the adaptor for your tesla.
Wow. That thing is expensive. Would love one that took advantage of the 100A circuit I have run.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Wattzilla makes chargers that will deliver 80 A from a 100A circuit. Problem is your cars/trucks won't take that much (I think the F-150 might) and if you think Clipper Creek is expensive....