Home Charging if you rent

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
Sorry if already posted somewhere , but I’m currently in-between homes and renting. I have not spoken with the owner but are there alternatives to home charging (even at a lower rate) than putting in a full unit and having it installed by an electrician?

Is there like a plug in unit that can boost my overnight charging on the market?

Thanks for your assistance members
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian said they’ll include a 32A portable charging cable with each purchase. So if you have access to a NEMA 14-50 plug (common household electric dryer outlet) then you can use that cable to charge your Rivian in your rental, or when you travel.

I plan to use that cable when I visit family.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Rivian said they’ll include a 32A portable charging cable with each purchase. So if you have access to a NEMA 14-50 plug (common household electric dryer outlet) then you can use that cable to charge your Rivian in your rental, or when you travel.

How long is this cable? I’d need a 75-100’ at friends cabin.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Last edited:
OP
OP
MurryR1T

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22

Thank you sir

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
You may also be able to plug into a std 110v all outlet, but you’d only get about 2 miles for each hour of charge. I currently live in a condo that has underground parking. I have a storage closet in the garage that’s next to my numbered parking spot. Said closet has a light in it. I replaced the light switch in the closet with a light switch/outlet combos, and can charge my Tesla with it - albeit VERY slowly.

There are 2 other Tesla owners in my building, and they both had NEMA 14-50 outlets installed. Those charge about 10 times faster than mine. The problem I had with that is that the HOA wants the power you use to be metered. Their parking spots just happened to be right by their individual HVAC units, so they we able to tap into that. My HVAC is nowhere near my parking spot, so I couldn’t do that. I may look into switching g parking spots once my Rivian replaces my Tesla and 4Runner.

This is a topic my HOA is starting to talk about though. They see things headed towards more and more EV’s and they know they will need to address charging at some point.

Not sure if any of these options are helpful to you or not. I also have free public charging lass than a mile from my place, so I use that a lot as well.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Sorry if already posted somewhere , but I’m currently in-between homes and renting. I have not spoken with the owner but are there alternatives to home charging (even at a lower rate) than putting in a full unit and having it installed by an electrician?

Is there like a plug in unit that can boost my overnight charging on the market?

Thanks for your assistance members
Where is your dryer? In the garage perhaps? If so, check out NeoCharge. https://www.getneocharge.com/shop-pages/shop-smart-splitters#shop-first-scroll

If not, you could check with the homeowner about installing a dryer plug in the garage. Having an electrician install an outlet for an EVSE just adds more money to the installation cost since they assume you have more money...Doesn't hurt to at least ask the homeowner.
Sponsored