Sponsored

Home charger location: what would you do?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I might swing by and drop them a note to figure out if they got this permitted and how much it cost.
Might be a "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" situation. SCL sees a professional looking install when they cruise by, "Wow that looks great! I bet Jerry did this one."
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I'm fairly confident of driving the vehicle in to the garage (with the aid of cameras, of course) but the biggest problem for me is creating that clearance on the side to open my door enough to get out. Subtract the R1S's width from my garage's width and I have about 37" to play with. If I park dead center that's a foot and a half on each side. With some finagling/angling maybe I can get to 2' on the driver side, but we'd also have to subtract the thickness of the door while open. It will be a squeeze any way I cut it.

I do in theory have enough room to park the Rivian right outside my garage door for it to drive straight in. But when I asked customer service about remote park assist (while shaming them with examples of far less premium brands like Hyundai and VW already having the feature) they gave me their usual "not at this time, but possible with a future update". SIgh. I feel you though, I'm still complaining about a problem that you'd love to have as a renter :).
I have had the Tesla abort summon at a point where the driver door will not open in the door frame. Had to climb in from the backseat to sort things out. Haven’t used it since. If you fold the mirrors you can get even farther over. Put some padding on the wall so you do it have to worry about scratching the door.
Another plus for the garage is that any camera sensors typically work better when garaged. Not sure what Rivian is using...

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
SCL was exploring curb charging a couple years ago. Have you reached out to them to see if they may help facilitate a street charger?
I think they were running a pilot, but stopped it back in 2019. It would have still been a public charger though, meaning anyone could plug in.
I hate charging my car in the driveway at night and would be very reluctant to do it curbside at my home. Maybe it's all the mayhem we've seen over the last year, but I think charging lights would be an invitation for someone to vandalize or mess with an unattended EV sitting streetside in the dark. This is especially true if your cord is laying across the sidewalk.

On top of that, if you live on a two-way street, the open charging port door with the cable sticking out of it would be visible to all traffic and not as visible to you. More opportunity to mess with it and run off.

You: "Wow, DuckTruck! Paranoid, are you?"

Me: "What do you mean by that?!"
It definitely is a concern for me in general - I've seen some Teslas around the neighborhood, but mostly Model 3s. My R1S would likely be the most expensive vehicle in a multi-block radius, so yes, parking outside is a concern. However, if I went this route, I would definitely look to lay the conduit under the sidewalk instead of just laying across. Plus I can park in any direction on the curb so I could ensure that the charging port is facing the curb instead of traffic.
I have had the Tesla abort summon at a point where the driver door will not open in the door frame. Had to climb in from the backseat to sort things out. Haven’t used it since. If you fold the mirrors you can get even farther over. Put some padding on the wall so you do it have to worry about scratching the door.
Another plus for the garage is that any camera sensors typically work better when garaged. Not sure what Rivian is using...
Yikes ... I guess with the R1S I could also get in through the boot! They were also boasting about the 24/7 service thing so i) assuming they eventually release a remote park feature and ii) it aborts mid cycle, I reckon they could remote in and override? Regardless, I think I would want to make sure I can do the job manually first and foremost before pinning my hopes on Rivian releasing this feature any time soon.
I would put the charger in a location towards the front(opening) of your garage so that the cable can reach as far into the driveway as possible for guests w/ EVs and you can still charge your Rivian in the garage.
For normal houses this makes sense, but my detached garage door is right along my property line and opens up directly to the sidewalk. So there is no driveway outside the garage for anyone to use. Guests would have to park on the street, or use my other separate driveway to park on my property (location 2). It's a good consideration to think about though.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

For normal houses this makes sense, but my detached garage door is right along my property line and opens up directly to the sidewalk. So there is no driveway outside the garage for anyone to use. Guests would have to park on the street, or use my other separate driveway to park on my property (location 2). It's a good consideration to think about though.
Sorry. I must've missed that.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@sevengroove , I'm on Team Garage. Even if it's tight, chances are you'll become a pro at parking it after awhile. Also, there's a variety of different devices made for garages to help you get vehicles exactly where they belong. I don't have firsthand experience, but have seen the ones that go on the floor; darn sure beats the old tennis ball hanging from the ceiling.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
@sevengroove , I'm on Team Garage. Even if it's tight, chances are you'll become a pro at parking it after awhile. Also, there's a variety of different devices made for garages to help you get vehicles exactly where they belong. I don't have firsthand experience, but have seen the ones that go on the floor; darn sure beats the old tennis ball hanging from the ceiling.
I love my tennis ball! lol
Sponsored