Sponsored

Hold off on accepting binding agreement with Rivian till House of Representative approves bill

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Seems like someone is trying to get a quicker delivery from cancellations.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Sure would like to get a Rivian statement on whether the battery qualifies, especially for the lower 2023 requirement.

They should know that right now from their current suppliers, so why the obfuscation?
I agree that would be very helpful. But after this law looked like it might pass I was reading many manufacturers might not know the provenance of all the materials in their batteries because they apparently leave that up to whomever makes their batteries and/ or battery cells. I’m sure every EV maker is asking those questions right now.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Sure would like to get a Rivian statement on whether the battery qualifies, especially for the lower 2023 requirement.

They should know that right now from their current suppliers, so why the obfuscation?
Doubt that they do.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

The more I read all the posts here and on other threads, the less I understand what people want.
You ask for something and Rivian gives it to you (pre March pricing, access to the store, binding agreement to potentially still be eligible for a tax credit…) and a lot of you are still complaining.
I’m not a fanboy by any means (I may not even follow through with the purchase whenever it might happen), but honestly, you just don’t get the fact that you’re getting it all.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
The more I read all the posts here and on other threads, the less I understand what people want.
You ask for something and Rivian gives it to you (pre March pricing, access to the store, binding agreement to potentially still be eligible for a tax credit…) and a lot of you are still complaining.
I’m not a fanboy by any means (I may not even follow through with the purchase whenever it might happen), but honestly, you just don’t get the fact that you’re getting it all.
I can understand why some people might hesitate to sign the PBA, especially with so much misinformation reported about the bill. But, to think of this as a pure bet, $100 for a potential pay out of $7.5K, I don't see any reason not to unless one knows for sure he/she won't be purchasing a R1 regardless of the tax credit.

GR

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I’m not sure which changes you mean, but if it’s changes to your reservation, you may be wrong:

“3. Order Changes. If you make changes to the Vehicle after the Order Date, you may lose eligibility for special edition models, your place in line for priority delivery, and/or be subject to potential price increases based on any pricing adjustments made since the Order Date.”
I signed the agreement and went back into the config and made a change, no change in pre-order pricing (pre March 2022)

I don't think they do, the suppliers don't track where the materials are coming from apparently since they didn't need to do that previously

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
For me personally, I’ve been blown away by Rivians response to most of this stuff. I stated in another thread that all I wanted was rivian to address the tax issue, to not just put their heads in the sand. They then turn around and go way overboard with the amount of work I expected and am extremely impressed. Rivian feels like one of those companies so far that learned from their PR nightmare of the pricing increase and has done an excellent job since. I’m very happy with their response to this.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I signed, mainly because I’m in the 8 step process.

Sponsored

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I signed the BPA yesterday. If I take delivery next year, make under $300k, config under $80k, can I opt to take the NEW tax credit which is at point of sale? Or does the BPA lock me into the current credit which is upon tax return?

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
I signed the agreement and went back into the config and made a change, no change in pre-order pricing (pre March 2022)
I’m not saying that Rivian will actually act on anything stated in that clause, but we know how long it took them to make changes to the configurator after the March fiasco - so there’s NO way their system is already set up to show an immediate change based on your updates.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I signed the BPA yesterday. If I take delivery next year, make under $300k, config under $80k, can I opt to take the NEW tax credit which is at point of sale? Or does the BPA lock me into the current credit which is upon tax return?
If you read the language it is clear the taxpayer has the choice which tax treatment they want to use if they signed the binding purchase agreement prior to the new law’s enactment. You can read the relevant text in the legislation in several posts on this topic.

It says “may.” It does not say “must” or “shall.” (Bold text added by me.)

“(l) TRANSITION RULE.—Solely for purposes of the application of section 30D of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, in the case of a taxpayer that—

(1) after December 31, 2021, and before the date of enactment of this Act, purchased, or entered into a written binding contract to purchase, a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (as de-
fined in section 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act), and
(2) placed such vehicle in service on or after the date of enactment of this Act,
such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Sec- retary’s delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle as having been placed in service on the day before the date of enactment of this Act.”

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I also signed the BPA even though my R1T is tentatively scheduled for a Nov-Dec 2022 delivery. I have about as much faith in that delivery window as I do in booking a flight out of JFK right now.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I also signed the BPA even though my R1T is tentatively scheduled for a Nov-Dec 2022 delivery. I have about as much faith in that delivery window as I do in booking a flight out of JFK right now.
Ha I'm looking at JFK flights as we speak but for Feb. Prices are insane going to wait. Where on LI are you?

Side note: just finished my test drive!
Rivian R1T R1S Hold off on accepting binding agreement with Rivian till House of Representative approves bill 5B6403B7-A680-448D-84E0-B481CE4F3F7C
Rivian R1T R1S Hold off on accepting binding agreement with Rivian till House of Representative approves bill D1483374-4AB7-4E2D-975D-686323D1F160
Sponsored