First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
I went back and forth with different systems and really wanted to get the Racor system but it seems maybe they discontinued it as I can’t find it anywhere, even on their own website.

I ended up with the Thule one because it was the next cleanest looking install in my opinion without cables going across the ceiling. It works but I’m still looking for a budget motorized solution that looks clean (and not cost $2k like some of the solutions out there)
I'm surprised you can get in/out of the garage with it on your roof like that. I was considering this for when I get an R1S, but I was worried about getting it through my normal height garage door. Rivian lists the R1* as 77" tall. So 77 + 3 (cross bars) + 13 (RTT) = 93 aka 9 inches taller than the door opening.

How tall is the vehicle with the RTT on top?
Do you need to put it in Lowest ride height?
How tall is your garage door opening?
Sponsored

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm surprised you can get in/out of the garage with it on your roof like that. I was considering this for when I get an R1S, but I was worried about getting it through my normal height garage door. Rivian lists the R1* as 77" tall. So 77 + 3 (cross bars) + 13 (RTT) = 93 aka 9 inches taller than the door opening.

How tall is the vehicle with the RTT on top?
Do you need to put it in Lowest ride height?
How tall is your garage door opening?
Oh I can’t mount that on the roof and get out of garage. My garage opening isn’t that tall either. I have the R1T so this would mount on the bed so no issues there

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Oh I can’t mount that on the roof and get out of garage. My garage opening isn’t that tall either. I have the R1T so this would mount on the bed so no issues there
Darn, I was hoping my math was way off! Thanks for confirming. I wonder how other SUV owners handle this. My wife is pretty strong, but 80# at 6.5-7' or so is probably a bit much for her. Hmmm...

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks good. I did something similar to store our roof box. I'd recommend looking at electric hoists on Amazon. You can get them for under $200 and it looks like you have an outlet nearby. Beats manually lowering and raising, even with the pulley reductions.

Image from iOS (11).jpg
Would it be possible to see a few more pictures? At a glance I think your garage/opener are maybe kind of like mine and I'm not sure how I'd really fit anything up there at least within the footprint of the garage door opener. I think maybe you also have a different style opener? Maybe I just need to replace those.

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Would it be possible to see a few more pictures? At a glance I think your garage/opener are maybe kind of like mine and I'm not sure how I'd really fit anything up there at least within the footprint of the garage door opener. I think maybe you also have a different style opener? Maybe I just need to replace those.
Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed image

Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Just finished installing the hoist/pulley system for my RTT (CVT Mt. Thielsen):

Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed IMG_20230322_150757

Was 90% finished yesterday, but today I added a set of ratchet straps for a failsafe mechanism. Truck is backed into garage for loading and unloading. Used a 440-lb hoist from Harbor Freight. I still need to come up with a solution for storing the remote and its cable so I can get to it more easily. It's currently stored above the hoist and unreachable while garage door is opened (and door needs to be open to load/unload the tent.)

I used velcro straps laced around the crossbar latches so they would stay unlocked (Pulled out one of the pulleys from the ceiling on my first attempt trying to lift the tent!)

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8

IMG_20230322_150757.jpg

Was 90% finished yesterday, but today I added a set of ratchet straps for a failsafe mechanism. Truck is backed into garage for loading and unloading. Used a 440-lb hoist from Harbor Freight. I still need to come up with a solution for storing the remote and its cable so I can get to it more easily. It's currently stored above the hoist and unreachable while garage door is opened (and door needs to be open to load/unload the tent.)

I used velcro straps laced around the crossbar latches so they would stay unlocked (Pulled out one of the pulleys from the ceiling on my first attempt trying to lift the tent!)

IMG_20230322_150757.jpg

I would love a few more pics and parts used for pulleys etc if you have time. Looks like what I want to do and have similar hoist sitting around that I didn’t use for a different project.

OP
OP
Riv I Am

Riv I Am

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Awaiting R1T - GW/OC VIN 171xx
Occupation
Health care

IMG_20230322_150757.jpg

The Velcro straps to keep the crossbar attachments open and unlocked are genius. Will definitely be stealing that idea.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Additional pics of hoist system and close-up of pulleys used.

Actually, I pulled everything down and reinstalled with lag bolts to make it more secure. I noticed that there were gaps between the boards and ceiling at each end of the boards the pulleys were mounted to. I had previously used wood screws. Lag bolts with washers is much more secure.

Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed IMG_20230323_181519
Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed IMG_20230323_181610
Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed MVIMG_20230323_181636
Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed IMG_20230323_181718
Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed IMG_20230323_181653

Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed IMG_20230323_181655

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I had a huge roll of tracing paper lying around and after drilling the holes in the ceiling, I taped the tracing paper over the area then pressed on the holes with my finger to indent the paper, then placed the paper over the 2x6 beams on the floor and marked exactly where the holes lined up
I missed this nugget. Just spent 3 hours in the garage measuring, drilling, cutting, etc just to find my lags didn't match up. Gonna try again tomorrow with some leftover paper roll from doing the floors.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I added a set of ratchet straps for a failsafe mechanism.

I used velcro straps laced around the crossbar latches so they would stay unlocked

Thank you @Riv I Am and @SteveInBend for this post and your nuggets of wisdom. I took a little bit of both of yours and finally got mine rigged up tonight. I wasted 3 hours yesterday fighting and screwing up my lags and took it all down. After getting a better stud finder, longer 5/32" drill bit, and tracing paper today, it was a breeze. I used zip ties to keep the latches open, and definitely ratchet strapped for the first night.

Rivian R1T R1S Hoist Lift System for Roof Top Tent Successfully Installed PXL_20230406_044439376~2
Sponsored