Sponsored

Hmm, just go this email: It’s time to order your F-150 Lightning™ truck.

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
"ordered" well after I placed my R1S order and at a reasonable price at the time. Since then: Price has gone up 40% and ford did not have the insight to issue binding contracts so their customers could still get the tax credit like Rivian did. Lastly: The R1S looks like a much better vehicle. Now what do I do?
Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

IRS acceptance of those binding purchase agreements you mention for deliveries after 2022 is, unfortunately, doubtful.

Buy the R1S!

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Make sure your dealer won’t hit you with a surprise markup when it’s delivered. That’s a common thing with Ford dealers (my last 2 cars were Mach E’s). The contract wouldn’t have mattered anyway because that only mattered if the car was delivered by 12-31-2022.

Also, they’re completely different vehicles.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
IRS acceptance of those binding purchase agreements you mention for deliveries after 2022 is, unfortunately, doubtful.

Buy the R1S!
Honestly people need to stop posting this. The reality is nobody really knows and people are welcome to try (or not) to garner the tax credit if they want. YMMV.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Honestly people need to stop posting this. The reality is nobody really knows and people are welcome to try (or not) to garner the tax credit if they want. YMMV.
Seriously? Fact: the IRS in late December notice indicated binding purchase agreements signed prior to enactment of the IRA only work to bypass the only immediately applicable provision of the new EV tax credit law - the domestic assembly requirement - for deliveries by the end of 2022. You’re counting on the binding purchase agreement not working for 2023 deliveries regarding the domestic assembly requirement but being okay for the other new EV credit law requirements that go into effect in 2023.

That is why I used the word “doubtful.”

I would be happy to benefit from ultimately being proven wrong to have been doubtful.

YMMV.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Now what do I do?
Figure out what to do with that extra $100 you’ll be getting back from Ford. My refund posted the same day I requested it, was the fastest EV purchase-related transaction evah.

You could buy 2.5 pens of nearly-matching touch up paint, for instance.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

"ordered" well after I placed my R1S order and at a reasonable price at the time. Since then: Price has gone up 40% and ford did not have the insight to issue binding contracts so their customers could still get the tax credit like Rivian did. Lastly: The R1S looks like a much better vehicle. Now what do I do?
Go look at the Lightning. It's not an SUV but it is a nice eTruck. There are two on my street. Both are definitely "Truck" and I would never consider (I have no need for one) it but since you place a reservation for it, it must have interested you in some way.

If your location is really Montana, it is most likely a very, very long wait for R1S, regardless of when you've placed your deposit, so there's that too.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
ford did not have the insight to issue binding contracts so their customers could still get the tax credit like Rivian did
If you ordered, the dealer was responsible for issuing you a buyer's order which counts as the binding contract to purchase. Not that it matters now..but that's more on the franchise you were dealing with than Ford. Cons of a franchise dealer model.

Sponsored

OP
OP

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
Go look at the Lightning. It's not an SUV but it is a nice eTruck. There are two on my street. Both are definitely "Truck" and I would never consider (I have no need for one) it but since you place a reservation for it, it must have interested you in some way.

If your location is really Montana, it is most likely a very, very long wait for R1S, regardless of when you've placed your deposit, so there's that too.
When I was in Denver a few months back the guy there told me they had just delivered an R1S to South Dakota so I didn't figure it would be too big of a deal. Oh well, at this rate by the time I get it it will be a classic collectable ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Jac

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I got my invite in December and let the window expire as only Platinums with chip deletes were available. 98k is a lot to pay for a vehicle without a heated steering wheel.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
"Better vehicle" is extremely subjective, so buy the one you want!

Last edited:

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Make sure your dealer won’t hit you with a surprise markup when it’s delivered. That’s a common thing with Ford dealers (my last 2 cars were Mach E’s).
+1 for checking the dealer markup.

I also plunked down $100 to get on the F150L waiting list in Dec 2021. Still no "time to order" email but I did get an email last month from the dealer saying they had a couple of Lariat models available. Both had the smaller battery which is a no-go for me. However, in addition to Ford's MSRP increases the dealer was adding a $25k markup then offering a $15k "year end special" discount. Net result = $10k markup.

Makes me appreciate Rivian's willingness to honor pricing based on my pre-March config and the absence of dealer shenanigans.
Sponsored