First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Hello,

I am in the market for a new hitch bike rack and have been looking at the Kuat Piston Pro X since it has brake lights built in, which I would love to have as Rivian's lights are fairly small and adding a rooftop tent covers another brake light as well.

The rack uses a 4-pin connector (I'd use an adapter) but I want to know if this will work while driving in all-purpose mode, or if the pins are only turned on in tow mode which would be a deal breaker.

Thanks!
Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I have been playing around with additional lights for my motorcycle hitch hauler. So far I have tapped into the system via a four pole adapter and it will run the lights. The down side is it will put you in tow mode and turn off several of the sensors. I asked CS about it last week and they said you could not do it, but did say it could be an OTA update at some point. I now have a Zero Contact Interface unit which will draw only 12v power from the battery which I will start to play with tomorrow. If it works it shouldn't be too hard. Just removing panels to get to the wiring.

OP
OP
dmc94

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Good info. Let me know what works for you. Hopefully a software update soon.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hitch pins are powered in every mode. The truck will ask if you want to put it in tow mode. Saying no still ends up disabling the blind spot detection sensors. It probably also disables backup sensors but I considered my experiment failed and went the same route with the zero contact sensors and a secondary 4-pin. I only wired for left/right brake lights and not parking lights.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Where do you wire the zero contact to?

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Where do you wire the zero contact to?
The Zero Contact attaches to the existing brake/turn wires. It does not make a direct electrical connection. It uses a sensor to detect current flowing through vehicle wires. Therefore, the vehicle does not detect a trailer being connected.

OP
OP
dmc94

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

The Zero Contact attaches to the existing brake/turn wires. It does not make a direct electrical connection. It uses a sensor to detect current flowing through vehicle wires. Therefore, the vehicle does not detect a trailer being connected.
Does this work for just brake lights or turn signals as well?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer