johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Yes, thank you. Small bruise on my boy's head but what doesn't kill you ... It's too bad though, I don't drive often at all anymore since working from home and on longer trips like this one the self-driving feature really was nice to rely on. Now I have a bit of ptsd (j/k) from the whole thing so I don't think I'll use it with my fam in the car anymore.
I don't blame you if you do have ptsd. I would probably feel the same way. I have 3 kids in the back and any bump to the head that can cause I child to cry could be serious. I am glad to hear that your son is doing well. I hope you do bring it up to Rivian because I am sure safety would be a big priority for them
Sponsored

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Yes. HA is a separate system to LKA and LDW.
I will definitely try disabling LKA and seeing if it helps avoid this. I agree with you now that I think it was not necessarily HA that caused the erratic movement.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
This happened to me once - same driving situation. Left lane, truck pulled hard toward center divider. My hand was on the wheel, and I corrected. Didn't seem like a huge deal to me, but was a good reminder to keep my hands on the wheel when using the system.

Wife's Volvo has done similar things on numerous occasions. I think it's just the nature of these systems, unfortunately. Works great most of the time, but you need to be prepared in case there's a blip in the logic.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

any bump to the head that can cause I child to cry could be serious.
Mind you this kid is not your average cryer. He's a tough kid that does Jiujitsu three times a week, hikes 5-10 miles every weekend and has 10 cousins that play very rough with each other several times a week. To make him cry you have to either take away his electronic privileges or hurt him pretty badly. In this case he was startled a bit cause he was almost falling sleep so I think that added to his moodiness a bit too. But he was definitely hurt. My daughter was in a full child seat so she didn't get moved around too much.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Mind you this kid is not your average cryer. He's a tough kid that does Jiujitsu three times a week, hikes 5-10 miles every weekend and has 10 cousins that play very rough with each other several times a week. To make him cry you have to either take away his electronic privileges or hurt him pretty badly. In this case he was startled a bit cause he was almost falling sleep so I think that added to his moodiness a bit too. But he was definitely hurt. My daughter was in a full child seat so she didn't get moved around too much.
Definitely sounds like a tough kid!....and I feel you on the electronic privileges...🤦‍♂️.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I use Driver+ every moment I'm on the freeway. I had a similar thing happen last night when a car in the lane next to me crept towards me. The car was not coming into my lane but did move over and I believe the system misread it and overreacted. I wish I hadn't taken control (similar to the video) because I suspect it was just veering to avoid what it thought was a pending collision and would have steered back, but I don't know for sure. Hoping I'll wait a bit longer next time.

My total guess here is that it thought the dark pavement was a vehicle coming over and it was veering temporarily to avoid it.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I wish I hadn't taken control (similar to the video) because I suspect it was just veering to avoid what it thought was a pending collision and would have steered back, but I don't know for sure. Hoping I'll wait a bit longer next time.
I know what you mean here, but please don't wait longer! This is a very very heavy truck and at highway speeds you will need every millisecond of reaction time to combat any errors. The big key is to not overreact. I have hundreds of hours of track and autocross time to thank for avoiding overreaction. Not bragging, but knowing exactly how much to correct by feel really has been key to avoiding crashing my very expensive track toys. I see guys with 4WD Audi R8s spin out on the track every single weekend and 9/10 times it's due to over-correction.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I know what you mean here, but please don't wait longer! This is a very very heavy truck and at highway speeds you will need every millisecond of reaction time to combat any errors. The big key is to not overreact. I have hundreds of hours of track and autocross time to thank for avoiding overreaction. Not bragging, but knowing exactly how much to correct by feel really has been key to avoiding crashing my very expensive track toys. I see guys with 4WD Audi R8s spin out on the track every single weekend and 9/10 times it's due to over-correction.

Ya, I didn't overreact either. I had an open lane on my left so it was a good opportunity to see what happened next but reactions just kicked in. I regularly take over on lane changes keep adaptive cruise on so I know it takes very little force to override the system... I just steered it back. Still curious. I'll report back when it happens again, hopefully at a lower speed.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I wish I hadn't taken control (similar to the video) because I suspect it was just veering to avoid what it thought was a pending collision and would have steered back, but I don't know for sure. Hoping I'll wait a bit longer next time
Yes, this is the essence of the problem with these systems for me. How am I supposed to discern the appropriate moment for intervention?

Sponsored

Navian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Miata, Toyota Matrix XRS, Ford Maverick
I use Driver+ every moment I'm on the freeway. I had a similar thing happen last night when a car in the lane next to me crept towards me. The car was not coming into my lane but did move over and I believe the system misread it and overreacted. I wish I hadn't taken control (similar to the video) because I suspect it was just veering to avoid what it thought was a pending collision and would have steered back, but I don't know for sure. Hoping I'll wait a bit longer next time.

My total guess here is that it thought the dark pavement was a vehicle coming over and it was veering temporarily to avoid it.
Yes, this is the essence of the problem with these systems for me. How am I supposed to discern the appropriate moment for intervention?
The safety case for L2 system relies on the driver taking appropriate action before something goes wrong, and the reaction time is something that is usually taken into account but not the time a driver takes to verify the system is going to handle it or not.

So, you should intervene as soon as the system starts doing something other than being centered in the lane. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not think Highway assist has capabilities to steer and evade, it only tries to center you in the lane while maintaining a set speed and set distance from the vehicle in front.

Hands on the wheel, ALWAYS, and be ready to take back control

Vegoelectric

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volkswagen ID4
I agree with others that argue against complacency with a level 2 system even a level 3. I had lots of "could have been disastrous accidents" in a Tesla model 3. I learned to let it ease the workload during long trips and heavy traffic but have never trusted a system. The R1T was on par with other systems to me, but far superior to the first time I tried Tesla's version. I appreciate that it won't just give it a go anywhere like a Tesla will. Please don't "trust" these systems in any vehicle and become a statistic none of us want to read about. Level 4 and 5 different story. I may have sounded like a Tesla basher here and I certainly am not trying to be. They have much more data and should be far better at this than a startup. Tesla did much of the work to get companies like Rivian a more competent launch point. Glad no one is seriously injured.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
This stuff right here is why "self driving features" just don't seem to make sense right now.

If I have to sit poised nervously watching my car to make sure it doesn't do something stupid, I would be safer simply driving in the first place. These systems need to be reliable if they're going to exist, the consequences are just too high (a car is literally making children cry, wtf). I'm sorry you had to deal with this firsthand Trez.

Basically if a manufacturer isn't willing to accept the liability arising from their self driving features it shows the level of faith they have in it, and I'd rather not hassle with something even the manufacturer doesn't trust.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
What was the speed limit on the highway you were on?

TurboTwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra
What was the speed limit on the highway you were on?
Has to be 55-65mph. So 16-26mph over the limit since the video shows a gps speed of 81. The highest speed limit in CA is 70mph but that isn’t one of those freeways.
Sponsored