trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Are we all still here? šŸ„ø Feels like this thread could come up ā€˜missingā€™
I havenā€™t been too watchful. Is that common practice here?
Sponsored

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is pretty close to ideal conditions for lane centering. Well marked. Clear weather. No sun on horizon. No construction. Just well-marked clear lanes. Doesn't get easier than this.

Harrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Touareg, Alta Redshift
This happened to me too.

It was before the most recent update and it seemed like the override torque was much higher. I actually ended up way overcorrecting. Stability control activated and it was very scary.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Even with my Tesla I used to have a good grip on the wheel when I knew a curve was coming up. With the R1T you can really feel what the truck is doing. With a system as new as this, you need to be ready to correct if the truck does the wrong thing.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Not saying it is your fault in any way, where your hands on the steering wheel? I hate 'self driving' too many variables to say it is reliable. However my Audi has lane keep/blindspot/smart cruise/etc/etc and if you are driving at speed and there are changes in the pavement, like it appears to have experienced, it can be tricky. I use the systems but my hands are always on the steering wheel. I won't do a Tesla and just read a book, that is just silly and asking for trouble.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I havenā€™t been too watchful. Is that common practice here?
Not at all common but at least once there was a video removed by ā€˜requestā€™..
This is of a kind a lawyer might like to see dissappearā€¦

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Everyoneā€™s okay? I hate this stuff- Iā€™m with the Tesla team that quit en masse. Self driving is the capability of the future and always will beā€¦
Absolutely agree. I have a similar set up on one of my cars and never use it. Don't plan to use it on the Rivian either. We just aren't there yet.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you want me to submit a formal apology for using that term? Go ahead and write it up in your own terms and I'll sign it.
Let's stop acting like everyone is supposed to know the full terminology and capability of every release level of ADAS. I don't want to read too much into your tone here, but it's starting to seem like you want to blame me for depending on the truck more than you want to blame the lane keeping capabilities of the truck. I will remind you that I was fully paying attention and not solving a crossword puzzle while the RIVIAN did all the driving. That's probably why I'm still here.

There's a bigger point here.
It's not that the RIVIAN failed to avoid a hazard in the road that I wasn't paying attention to. That would be my fault at this stage of the technology.
The RIVIAN swerved off a perfectly normal road towards the center divider despite my vigilance.
If you can't tell the difference between those two scenarios there is really no point to us trying to come to an understanding.
This really doesn't feel like a "lane centering" thing and more feels like collision avoidance. I've had my polestar suddenly jerk the wheel into oncoming traffic on a two lane road to avoid a phantom collision. There is no way to turn that system off on the polestar, it's active 100% of the time. I'm not sure if the Rivian system will do this to avoid a collision when you're the one actually driving.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
This shit happens to me often when I use driver +

I rarely use as a result. I do not find it helpful. Actually more dangerous currently
That's the exact reason for OP sharing this video. To bring awareness for those of us that haven't had first-hand experience with lane assist or Driver+. Thank you OP!

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

FWIW, try driving with Lane Departure Warning and subsequently Lane Keep Assist off. I've been without it for a while and had no problems using Highway Assist.

I recently turned LDW and LKA back on for giggles, and oh boy... It bounces me around like a pinball with or without Highway Assist.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
FWIW, try driving with Lane Departure Warning and subsequently Lane Keep Assist off. I've been without it for a while and had no problems using Highway Assist.

I recently turned LDW and LKA back on for giggles, and oh boy... It bounces me around like a pinball with or without Highway Assist.
Yep. I leave it off as well but turn it on for a bit after updates. Just long enough to reaffirm it blows...

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Interesting. So what does Highway assist do without those features? Does it still keep you in the lane?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Interesting. So what does Highway assist do without those features? Does it still keep you in the lane?
Yes. HA is a separate system to LKA and LDW.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs