Sponsored

High vs Standard Regen - more wear and tear on the motors in high?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Anyone know if you leave your vehicle on high regen it will lead to more wear and tear on the motors over time as compared to standard regen? Do you think it will also lead to more tire wear on high regen?
Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I don't imagine thatthere would be a noticeable difference in any kind of wear. The force in an electric motor is generated via electromagnetic fields - the force-generating parts don't actually touch. The parts that do touch like bearings, etc. are going to be in motion against one another as long as it's spinning.

I also don't think you'd see a noticeable impact on tire wear. At the end of the day the biggest part of the equation (mass) is unchanged.

If would guess the biggest difference would be in the heat cycling of wires, etc., but overall I am not convinced there would be any meaningful difference in longevity of any part of the truck in normal vs. high regen.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The motor rotor spins whether you have regen turned up, or not. No appreciable extra wear on the motors would occur with high regen.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thanks for this information. We have tried the high regen, but find it somewhat difficult to deal with. The slowing and stopping are noticeably more abrupt and disconcerting.

We settled into standard regen and have really gotten the hang of one pedal driving. We are new to EVing. Are there any tips for driving with the R1T in high regen?

Brian

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks for this information. We have tried the high regen, but find it somewhat difficult to deal with. The slowing and stopping are noticeably more abrupt and disconcerting.

We settled into standard regen and have really gotten the hang of one pedal driving. We are new to EVing. Are there any tips for driving with the R1T in high regen?

Brian
My tip is "just do it". Within a day you'll probably feel much better about it. The first time I tried it reminded me of learning to drive stick (jerking forward and stopping abruptly). But now it's smooth as butter. I've had multiple passengers comment about how smooth it gets going and comes to a stop.

I love high regen!

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
The only wear that really occurs in these motors (assuming the magnets aren't over heated) is the bearings tend to work until they don't with not much that can be done about it . High regen isn't going to change the wear on the motors any noticeable amount. It will cause a bit more tire wear though if you make a habit of decelerating like that. I usually turn it on in town so I don't need to go to the brakes if people drive unpredictably because the spacing is narrower if you don't want to get cut off everywhere, but I almost never plan to slow down at full rate.

Also I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it feels like the 'spring' in the accelerator firms up when you set regen to high, I don't like the extra pressure on my foot so I turn it off, but maybe that's just in my head.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Just practice letting off the accelerator at different rates, you'll get the feel for it eventually. It's uncomfortable because you literally have to rewire the brain and tell it to do something different from what is automatic at this point.

I do wish we could modulate regen on the fly with a steering wheel control, there are scenarios where you don't want regen, like slippery downhill, needing to adjust your foot, cover braking, etc.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning

Brian
My tip is "just do it". Within a day you'll probably feel much better about it. The first time I tried it reminded me of learning to drive stick (jerking forward and stopping abruptly). But now it's smooth as butter. I've had multiple passengers comment about how smooth it gets going and comes to a stop.

I love high regen!
I joke around with my friends saying that the Rivian is merely an expensive golf cart. After all, both vehicles rely on, mostly one-pedal operation.

I also love high-regen and adapted to it in a day. When driving alone, I enjoy waiting until the last moment to come hard off the pedal to brake perfectly at a stop sign. However, when others are in the car, I tend to feather the pedal down so that - from the passenger's perspective - the braking is smooth as silk.

Come on in, the water's fine.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

I love high regen!
I feel almost no difference between standard and high it makes me think— among other reasons— that there’s something wrong with my truck. Maybe I just got used to one pedal driving pretty quickly.
Sponsored