Sponsored

Hey y’all and what’s the story with my profile pic…

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

Will your tire company ever make rivian size 21” wheels?!
That’s a great question. We quoted on 22’s for a thing that’s not been talked about yet but I don’t know anything about 21’s.

Great business the i3 was though……(subtle giveaway)
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thoughts on the Alenza AS Ultra?

Well played, sir. Was looking at that yesterday as someone pointed out on a thread about aftermarket wheels and sizing.
1: I’m only a recovering engineer and don’t feel like doing the real math on fitment, circumference, etc, but the load and speed rating is in the right window.
2: I’m not a massive product expert but this tire is only 2 years old so reflects new design strategy/ethos from the last few years (fewer overall products, want BS brand to be first or second best in category, and design for aftermarket then tune slightly for OE).
3: keep in mind this is not an “EV” tire which primarily means it will not have the noise absorbing foam being used in tires with EV markings on the sidewall. So it will be louder.
4: I’m probably going with the Dueler A/T Revo 3. But that’s as much for look as for A/T performance - I’m buying this extremely capable off road machine, let’s go use it.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Welcome Mike! Be sure to join the TN Rivian owners group on FB. They're hopefully planning some offroad trips soon!

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge
Welcome Mike! Be sure to join the TN Rivian owners group on FB. They're hopefully planning some offroad trips soon!
And we're having a Rivian meetup at Montgomery Bell State Park this weekend, come on out if you want to meet some other owners.

Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Welcome...now that the intro's are over, time to put you to work!

The 21" tire availability has come up in multiple threads. In the latest, I asked how difficult it is to mfg a new tire size? With the increasing sophistication of CAD/CAM in some industries, the production line setup costs have come down so far that the volumes required to make a line change are almost nothing. Of course, there are a whole host of other reasons not to make a specific size of tire, but I am curious about how difficult it is to, for example, make a 275/55 R21 if you are already making something fairly close in size? And what is the main variable that is problematic...radius?

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Welcome...now that the intro's are over, time to put you to work!

The 21" tire availability has come up in multiple threads. In the latest, I asked how difficult it is to mfg a new tire size? With the increasing sophistication of CAD/CAM in some industries, the production line setup costs have come down so far that the volumes required to make a line change are almost nothing. Of course, there are a whole host of other reasons not to make a specific size of tire, but I am curious about how difficult it is to, for example, make a 275/55 R21 if you are already making something fairly close in size? And what is the main variable that is problematic...radius?
Mold cost is the biggest element of development, but the much (much much) larger problem is purely capacity. The tire industry is 100% capacity constrained in North America, so to make something new you've got to give up something old.

Secondarily is rim diameter (this is a factor in which plant could produce these tires/has capacity, and it's only worse for 20" plus diameters).

Third factor that I just mentioned above is "EV-specific" technology (LRR, sponge for NVH, and sealant for run-flats). Some of these are also plant specific due to other capital equipment requirements.
Sponsored