Clubs

so bottom line, they got the physics wrong? WTF
Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
maybe another company will come out with a aftermarket setup that... works?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Well, as a Jan ‘19 reservation holder without an update to my April-May delivery window I can say there’s some hope RIVN (or whatever ticker takes over by the time mine’s delivered) will have implemented a fix in my (because of dd inflation) disturbingly inexpsensive luxury truck…

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

This picture reminds me of the Apple AirPower that never got released. Rumors say it got way too hot. I wonder if Rivian ran into the same engineering challenges?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Is this something that could possibly be turned on/off with OTA update?

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Is it possible to create a template that lays above the mat an positions the phone over a higher charging pad? Maybe a 3D printed sheet with a phone shaped whole to holds the phone in position?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
That top panel looks to have temp sensors in it. FWIW - I took mine apart as well and the amount of layers (this, the rubber, a case) between the coils and phone is obscene. No shit that it doesn't work.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
So I finally figured out why my iPhone 12 would not gain any charge on the mat. As soon as I removed the case to reduce the thickness, boom, charge starting going up, but then there’s not enough friction so it just slides around. So frustrating!

Can anyone share their hacks on getting a MagSafe connector nicely set up in that Space?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Can anyone share their hacks on getting a MagSafe connector nicely set up in that Space?
This guy has the best idea IMO:

No product yet. Hopefully he either sells the parts or releases the plans to make your own. Bonus points if he can wire it up to the existing wireless pad power source and leave the USBs free in the console.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This guy has the best idea IMO:

No product yet. Hopefully he either sells the parts or releases the plans to make your own. Bonus points if he can wire it up to the existing wireless pad power source and leave the USBs free in the console.
I'm working on this as well. The largest issue I can see is using the 12V supply to provide the power. Wireless charging requires a good bit of power and making the jump from 12V ?A to whatever the pad needs isn't straightforward, especially to do so without cutting the end of the existing connector.

Also - there isn't a hole going between that cavity to the center console. His solution basically routes the cables up and over where the pad normally sits using the two channels. To me, that makes the use of the 12V supply for power basically required.

My current thought is to use a 12V to QC 3.0 buck module + a custom printed structure + a magnetic qi charger. The changer will have to be more magnetic than the Apple OEM one though, based on a prior post.

Depending on how much interest there is, I might see if I can bulk purchase the components and sell them as a kit. We'll see...

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Makes you realize how elegant the 2021+ Tesla Model S solution is, a simple angled piece that has a bar in the middle and charges two phones. Simple, works consistently.

It looks like Rivian was trying to have a single area that could serve as a general location for stuff and for charging.

Perhaps the solution might be a top pad with two thinner, indented areas over specific coils.

Last edited:

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I will be unplugging this and using the standard apple usb-c from the console to charge. It's more efficient and less hassle overall.

I also use a Quad Lock case for all my stuff, bike, car, and I have a wireless mount in the lower left corner of my windshield that give me easy access to phone functions while driving since we wont be getting CarPlay or AndroidAuto any time [S=0===0=N] if ever...

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
So Rivian can't get the wireless charger down, has no shade for the greenhouse gas roof, suffers considerable parasitic loss, fumbled the keyless entry, missed a few other basics such as the initial garage door opener, no snow mode, yet we all are going to sign up to their monthly charges for a Rivian navigation and infotainment experience?

Got it. Reinventing the wheel and charging for it.
Sponsored