First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I received an email from Oregon DOT asking for consumer input on Oregon's EV charging network. I've included a link below to their webpage where you can complete a survey and also use an interactive map to indicate where you would like to see charging stations. I already added likes to previously suggested locations on State Hwy 31 and US 395 which are along the route I use when I travel to Nevada. Also the Steens Mountain area (French Glen Hotel State Heritage Site).

I strongly suggest checking out the site and adding locations you would like to see.

Link: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/climate/Pages/NEVI.aspx
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
How about they just start with a goal of one fast charge location every 150 miles, on every divided highway? Once that's done try to cut it in half to 75 miles. Then move on to any smaller roads that are used for long-distance travel.

Unless no one in the department has any experience with an EV, it seems like they could figure that out themselves.

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
How about they just start with a goal of one fast charge location every 150 miles, on every divided highway? Once that's done try to cut it in half to 75 miles. Then move on to any smaller roads that are used for long-distance travel.

Unless no one in the department has any experience with an EV, it seems like they could figure that out themselves.
I think that Oregon probably has the divided highways covered, already. How many divided highways do you think there are in Oregon? Outside of Interstates and urban areas, probably not many. At least not many that I am aware of. Think Portland, I-5, and I-84. The areas that need additional infrastructure are the 2-lane highways that connect between the coast and Willamette Valley, between the Valley and Central Oregon, along the coast, as well as the everything east of US 97, including US 97, itself.

Reactions: sub

Boudro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV & Tacoma
Done. Did survey and hearted a bunch of spots I know are missing or I want to see more chargers. Thanks for letting me know this was out there.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Did the survey! Thanks for the link! Even though I'm in E. WA, I plan on doing a lot of adventures in E. OR!! It's a DCFC dead zone out there!!

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

One thing I hope they do is make pull-through stalls for vehicles that are towing trailers. That is one thing that current stations are sorely lacking.

As to the "150 mile then 75 mile" - I'd rather have them do 3 stages 200-100-50 than 150-75. There are many older shorter-range EVs that doing 75 is a stretch; better to have 50 for them. And when towing, 150 miles might be all you can do - from 100%. I don't want 150 miles between stations, because then you would have to charge to 100% each leg, which is painfully long. And 75 as the smallest interval means you can't skip a station, you're having to stop every 75. At 100, that's a reasonable "charge to 80%" range; and at 50, depending on conditions, you can usually skip one, but may occasionally be able to skip two.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They're going to do stations at 50-mile intervals. That's the requirement for getting a route designated as an EV alternative fuel corridor. Without that designation, Oregon can't spend any of the federal infrastructure money on it at all. They also must have 4 CCS chargers at each location capable of a minimum of 150 kW each. There's a very good reason this is what they're working toward:

Rivian R1T R1S Help Plan the Oregon EV Charging Network Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.33.49 AM
Sponsored