Sponsored

Help Mounting Cargo Basket

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I have a cargo basket I am trying to mount to the Rivian crossbars. The mounting hardware I received with the basket (it’s not from a major brand) consists of a small metal plate that slides into the T-slot, a screw, and a lock washer. The problem I’m facing is that in order to tighten the basket to the crossbars, the screw digs down into crossbar track, scratching and damaging it.

Before I start ordering random stuff online to try out, does anyone have any experience securing non OEM accessories like this or have any ideas that are less damaging? Or should I not care because it’s inside the track? Here is the current mounting hardware, where you can also see the scratches:

Rivian R1T R1S Help Mounting Cargo Basket FB001B25-6021-457D-BE70-78E8685AAD65
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Should be easy to source a shorter bolt from your local hardware store.

I usually grind them down myself, but not everyone has the equipment to do that at home. If you do have a bench or angle grinder, my advice is to take the plate out, screw the bolt through it until the head is tight against the plate. Grind a few mm off the bolt, being careful not to grind the plate. Running the screw back out of the plate will help correct any of the threads at the end that were rolled over or damaged.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Looks like you need a slightly shorter screw. Any hardware store should have you covered.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer