Sponsored

Help me narrow down my portable charger choices?

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The EVSE stuff doesn't matter too much there. It's the 40A and voltage that's important. Referring to the OPs list of candidates I have used a 40A Mustart for 2.5 years now. That 40A @ 220V equates to ~17 mi/hr for my R1T.
Thanks. That's about what I anticipated. The 32A EVSE that comes with the truck gave me around 14mi/hr. So around 25% more Amps giving around 21.5% faster charging sounds about right. Will save about 1 hour of charge time for every 4-5 hours of charging is another way to look at it.

Interestingly, the prices for just about all of the 40A options are around 10-20% lower on ebay than Amazon. Unfortunately, about 25 years ago I lost a significant amount of money paying for a computer that never came on ebay, so swore I would never use ebay for anything for the rest of my life. Not to mention that no matter how expensive any purchase was my wife ever made for the next decade, I was rendered silent since that was sure to come up if I uttered a peep about wasting money. Not a box I want to reopen.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks. That's about what I anticipated. The 32A EVSE that comes with the truck gave me around 14mi/hr. So around 25% more Amps giving around 21.5% faster charging sounds about right. Will save about 1 hour of charge time for every 4-5 hours of charging is another way to look at it.

Interestingly, the prices for just about all of the 40A options are around 10-20% lower on ebay than Amazon. Unfortunately, about 25 years ago I lost a significant amount of money paying for a computer that never came on ebay, so swore I would never use ebay for anything for the rest of my life. Not to mention that no matter how expensive any purchase was my wife ever made for the next decade, I was rendered silent since that was sure to come up if I uttered a peep about wasting money. Not a box I want to reopen.
Be wary of counterfeits and other shenanigans on those sites.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
I will be charging my truck at two locations about 200 miles apart, home and a camp. I want to get a portable 40A charger to use in both locations. I'll admit my first priority is lowest price, but that doesn't mean cheap. I think I have narrowed it down to 4 choices listed below with best price I found. I was looking for any positive or negative personal experiences with any of them. Or any knowledge/links of better prices for any of them. Feel free to throw in any other portable recommendations for me to consider. Thanks for any advice.

MUSTART -$308.99
LEFANEV - $329
Lectron-$327.99
ZENCAR - $323

Right now the Lectron is probably 4/4 because the cable is 15 ft and the other 3 are 25.
My son has a Mustart at his house. He uses it for his Pacifica PHEV at 6 kW, but I have used it on my Rivian at 10 kW, no issues. I like the little display on the Mustart which shows power delivered. It’s not a smart EVSE, but works…

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

@jwardell and @CommodoreAmiga ,

I really appreciate both of you taking the time to reply. I'm seriously considering going with the Tesla Mobile Connector. The first of two things holding me back is that it is not in stock. All I can do is request to receive an email when it is. I just hope that doesn't turn out to be as long as a wait as it was for the truck.

The other bigger issue was when I clicked on the link to the manual. In the specifications, it says the maximum current is 32A??. If that's true, than there really isn't any reason for me to buy it. Is it really limited to 32A? I will still consider and probably end up getting a TeslaTap.

Right now I'm leaning towards the MUSTART if Tesla's is limited to 32A.

And one more OBTW I just saw looking at the site.. There is a warning on the TeslaTap MINI 60A page that they have noticed that "many of the Rivian and RAV4 EVs have an oversized ground pin and the TeslaTap MINIS are not compatible" They recommend the TeslaTap 80 High Power. Saves $20 over the MINI and I can live with a slightly larger option in a truck with ridiculous amounts of storage.
Yes, both the Rivian and the Tesla connectors are limited to 32A due to their thinner/lighter weight cables. 32A should be more than enough for most people. If you can find the older Gen 1 Tesla mobile connector that shipped with S/X before the Model 3 came out, those will do 40A, but also take different adapters than the gen 2.

HightiseATX

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had the Lectron 40amp portable charger for about 10 months and used it maybe eight times. Never had a problem with operation or the cord length. Often cheaper at their website vs Amazon.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Does anyone else just use the portable charger that comes with the truck as their main charger? And if so, do you just keep it plugged in, and is there anything wrong with doing so?

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
I have had the 40A Mustart for 2+ years with no issues and charged various EVs with it, including a BMW, Volvo, Jeep, etc.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does anyone else just use the portable charger that comes with the truck as their main charger? And if so, do you just keep it plugged in, and is there anything wrong with doing so?
I used it for the first 7-10 days when I had the truck, before my Wall EVSE arrived. If you choose to use the Portable EVSE as your primary plug, I would recommend leaving it connected to the wall. The NEMA 14-50 isn't really designed for frequent (un)plug cycles, and given the high current going through it you really don't want to wear it out.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yes, I use the included rivian charger plugged into a 14-50 all the time outside in my driveway, there are no issues doing so. I keep my Tesla charger and all adapters in the truck for travel charging.
Sponsored