Sponsored

Help me narrow down my portable charger choices?

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I will be charging my truck at two locations about 200 miles apart, home and a camp. I want to get a portable 40A charger to use in both locations. I'll admit my first priority is lowest price, but that doesn't mean cheap. I think I have narrowed it down to 4 choices listed below with best price I found. I was looking for any positive or negative personal experiences with any of them. Or any knowledge/links of better prices for any of them. Feel free to throw in any other portable recommendations for me to consider. Thanks for any advice.

MUSTART -$308.99
LEFANEV - $329
Lectron-$327.99
ZENCAR - $323

Right now the Lectron is probably 4/4 because the cable is 15 ft and the other 3 are 25.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Have you considered leaving the Rivian Portable EVSE in your truck (included with vehicle -- no additional cost) for use when traveling and at your "camp". Then buy a hardwired EVSE for your home?

Alternatively, the least-expensive option is to use the Rivian Portable EVSE at both locations and take it with you. It's portable, after all. Even comes with a nice carrying case and fits underneath the shelf in the front trunk. It's only a 32A unit, however.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree with @CommodoreAmiga. Unless you are going to be driving a lot of miles regularly while at your camp location the 32A included charge would likely be sufficient.

As far as alternatives at 40A I have the following that works well, at least it has but I admittedly haven't used it much since I got a Chargepoint Home Flex and for travel I have been using the Rivian portable due to the available 120 connector if I get desperate.

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
I bought the Lectron and it works well. The display is useful because it will show you if you forgot to set the truck to 40 amps before charging (it will show 43-44 amps on the display). That gives you time to switch the settings in the truck before the charger overheats and stops the juice.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, Tesla 3
Occupation
Inspector
I will be charging my truck at two locations about 200 miles apart, home and a camp. I want to get a portable 40A charger to use in both locations. I'll admit my first priority is lowest price, but that doesn't mean cheap. I think I have narrowed it down to 4 choices listed below with best price I found. I was looking for any positive or negative personal experiences with any of them. Or any knowledge/links of better prices for any of them. Feel free to throw in any other portable recommendations for me to consider. Thanks for any advice.

MUSTART -$308.99
LEFANEV - $329
Lectron-$327.99
ZENCAR - $323

Right now the Lectron is probably 4/4 because the cable is 15 ft and the other 3 are 25.
Get the Tesla charger it works better it also stores easier in a smaller bag. Tesla portable charger can adapt to any plug. The only thing you will need to add is a Tesla Tap mini. It's important to have one regardless of what charger you buy. Make sure to buy the Tesla Tap brand others have connection issues. I have tested the others on your list and own the top 2 listed as well.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
Thanks for all the input. From what I see, the Tesla tap mini is the wrong choice based on the link above. It said it was discontinued because it wasn't intended for this use, but did give the link to the what they said was the correct product that appears to accomplish the same thing, called the TeslaTap 40 Amp:
https://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=102
$60 cheaper than the MINI too, so unless I'm interpreting it wrong this is the one I want.

As far as the Tesla mobile connector itself, the website says it begins shipping in August 2022. Curious if anyone has ordered one recently and how long it took. Whether its a supply chain or a Tesla issue, I just have this gut feeling I may be waiting for it to ship for a while. Between the Tesla mobile charger and TeslaTap 40 Amp, it becomes about cost equivalent to the other options, but would be a great option to have access to the Tesla destination chargers.

To answer @CommodoreAmiga, for now I am relying on the 32A EVSE that came with the truck. When I'm home, it probably would be plenty for me. The camp is where I do my "adventuring", and that can be up to 200 miles a day. Some of those summer days see me getting back just before dark and leaving before sunrise the next day. That isn't often, but I could use just a little more than the 32A there.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks for all the input. From what I see, the Tesla tap mini is the wrong choice based on the link above. It said it was discontinued because it wasn't intended for this use, but did give the link to the what they said was the correct product that appears to accomplish the same thing, called the TeslaTap 40 Amp:
$60 cheaper than the MINI too, so unless I'm interpreting it wrong this is the one I want.
I would get the TeslaTap Mini 60A. It's physically a better package and more versatile -- you can use this at hotels or when traveling.

I would NOT get a 40A adapter -- even if you only think you'll use 40A EVSEs at your cabin. The 60A (or 80A if you prefer, although the R1T doesn't benefit beyond 60A) adapter is more flexible and ensures you're safe if you do use a faster EVSE at any point.

Also, there's some debate about whether the 40A adapter is even safe to use at 40A or if it needs to be de-rated to 80% like all the other electrical stuff -- so then it's only good for 32A.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
I would get the TeslaTap Mini 60A. It's physically a better package and more versatile -- you can use this at hotels or when traveling.

I would NOT get a 40A adapter -- even if you only think you'll use 40A EVSEs at your cabin. The 60A (or 80A if you prefer, although the R1T doesn't benefit beyond 60A) adapter is more flexible and ensures you're safe if you do use a faster EVSE at any point.

Also, there's some debate about whether the 40A adapter is even safe to use at 40A or if it needs to be de-rated to 80% like all the other electrical stuff -- so then it's only good for 32A.
Thanks. I wonder if the problem with 40A was the TeslaTap MINI 40A and not the Teslatap 40A. The site for the MINI 40A states "We have found that many customers have been using our 40A version on newer EVs creating an unsafe condition".

If I go with a TeslaTap MINI 60A and the Tesla mobile charger, I'm now significantly over the price points of the 4 options I was originally considering. Access to the destination chargers is tempting, but just not sure if I'll ever find myself in a situation with that being my only option.

The one argument for wanting something a little faster than the 32A at my home is that I want to preferentially charge during peak sunlight to get the majority of my energy from my solar panels rather than the grid. At the end of the day it's net metering (for now), but I would rather use every last kWh from my panels I can rather than send it for someone else. And it makes for a bit easier rebuttal to those luddites coming at me with EVs just get charged by the "power plant".

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks. I wonder if the problem with 40A was the TeslaTap MINI 40A and not the Teslatap 40A. The site for the MINI 40A states "We have found that many customers have been using our 40A version on newer EVs creating an unsafe condition".
Many EVs support 11.5kW (48A @ 240V) charging, so using the 40A adapter does create an unsafe condition. I think that is why they have added that warning.

If I go with a TeslaTap MINI 60A and the Tesla mobile charger, I'm now significantly over the price points of the 4 options I was originally considering. Access to the destination chargers is tempting, but just not sure if I'll ever find myself in a situation with that being my only option.
Your call. A Tesla->J1772 adapter is often cited as a "strongly-advise" if not "must-have" in many charging-kit-trip lists. Even if you were not looking for a second EVSE, the adapter would still be a common recommendation. It is your money, however, and if you don't think you will ever want or need to rely on a Tesla destination charger (super common at hotels, fwiw) then it's your call.

The one argument for wanting something a little faster than the 32A at my home is that I want to preferentially charge during peak sunlight to get the majority of my energy from my solar panels rather than the grid. At the end of the day it's net metering (for now), but I would rather use every last kWh from my panels I can rather than send it for someone else. And it makes for a bit easier rebuttal to those luddites coming at me with EVs just get charged by the "power plant".
Understood. Again, your call. If it were me, I'd hardwire a EVSE. The Grizzle-E is one of the better buys, right now. $459 at Amazon. . If you prefer a portable EVSE, then go for what you like. Anything UL listed should be fine.

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

As far as the Tesla mobile connector itself, the website says it begins shipping in August 2022. Curious if anyone has ordered one recently and how long it took. Whether its a supply chain or a Tesla issue, I just have this gut feeling I may be waiting for it to ship for a while. Between the Tesla mobile charger and TeslaTap 40 Amp, it becomes about cost equivalent to the other options, but would be a great option to have access to the Tesla destination chargers.

To answer @CommodoreAmiga, for now I am relying on the 32A EVSE that came with the truck. When I'm home, it probably would be plenty for me. The camp is where I do my "adventuring", and that can be up to 200 miles a day. Some of those summer days see me getting back just before dark and leaving before sunrise the next day. That isn't often, but I could use just a little more than the 32A there.
Whoops, I mistakenly linked to the 40A..I have the 60A mini. And yes they sell the larger older design as well for less (and there is one from Lectron on amazon as well). I really like the teslatap mini because it's small and doesn't waste space, plus it's rock solid.

Tesla is so bad at keeping its accessories in stock, and then Elon decided they weren't going to include any charger with new teslas now that they artificially jacked prices by 20 grand, so new owners are fighting for them.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
@jwardell and @CommodoreAmiga ,

I really appreciate both of you taking the time to reply. I'm seriously considering going with the Tesla Mobile Connector. The first of two things holding me back is that it is not in stock. All I can do is request to receive an email when it is. I just hope that doesn't turn out to be as long as a wait as it was for the truck.

The other bigger issue was when I clicked on the link to the manual. In the specifications, it says the maximum current is 32A??. If that's true, than there really isn't any reason for me to buy it. Is it really limited to 32A? I will still consider and probably end up getting a TeslaTap.

Right now I'm leaning towards the MUSTART if Tesla's is limited to 32A.

And one more OBTW I just saw looking at the site.. There is a warning on the TeslaTap MINI 60A page that they have noticed that "many of the Rivian and RAV4 EVs have an oversized ground pin and the TeslaTap MINIS are not compatible" They recommend the TeslaTap 80 High Power. Saves $20 over the MINI and I can live with a slightly larger option in a truck with ridiculous amounts of storage.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The other bigger issue was when I clicked on the link to the manual. In the specifications, it says the maximum current is 32A??. If that's true, than there really isn't any reason for me to buy it. Is it really limited to 32A? I will still consider and probably end up getting a TeslaTap.
Tesla sells two versions. One is called "Mobile Connector" and comes with swapable pigtails and is limited to 32A. The other version is called "Corded Mobile Connector" and has a NEMA 14-50 permanently attached and supports 40A.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Using the Tesla mobile connector with a J17xx (can never remember) adapter with a typical 40 amp dryer outlet will only give you about 15 miles an hour charge at the most. Keep that in mind.
The EVSE stuff doesn't matter too much there. It's the 40A and voltage that's important. Referring to the OPs list of candidates I have used a 40A Mustart for 2.5 years now. That 40A @ 220V equates to ~17 mi/hr for my R1T.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

IMHO the Tesla Mobile Connector + a TeslaTap adapter is the most versatile combo when it comes to >32A-capable options.
Sponsored