First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
This is why you go with 21's on your Rivian; so that like our bmw i3 you don't have to make a choice because you don't have a choice in tires! Our car now has about 75k on it and due for its second set of tires, the Bridgestone ecopia ep500.
I had the optional bigger wheels on my i3 and it was brutal finding one when I get a flat... Even the local BMW dealer (which moved a lot of i3's, including mine) didn't have any. That is precisely why I'm NOT going with the 21's on my Rivian:)
Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I had the optional bigger wheels on my i3 and it was brutal finding one when I get a flat... Even the local BMW dealer (which moved a lot of i3's, including mine) didn't have any. That is precisely why I'm NOT going with the 21's on my Rivian:)
We have the 20" wheels on our i3 so we get to pay more for tires that wear out faster:no:

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Whats crazy is they said here is a diagram showing how I am wrong and it would fit:

Rivian R1T R1S Help Me Decide EV Tires 1628797865440

Bottom of the diagram (Ioniq Hybrid) NOT Electric (FULL BEV). I had to point it out to them that there is a stark difference between the 2 platforms when it comes to the rear at least.

I guess they thought it was the same, I just gave them full testing mock setup for free.

According to them they are taking everything back and giving me a full refund.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
BTW Found the issue
Yep, backspacing & brake clearance issues are the two perpetual culprits. I put a big brake kit on my Jeep & have to tell the tire shop every time to not double stack weights...

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yep, backspacing & brake clearance issues are the two perpetual culprits. I put a big brake kit on my Jeep & have to tell the tire shop every time to not double stack weights...
I get a shop messing up but tirerack messing up is pretty crazy haha. I wonder when they'll remove selection of wheels for my car as they measured the wrong vehicle.

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Well the whole point of tirerack was a all in one solution at the price they charge, if I am starting to throw in spacers and other things Id just rather not. Fair point on the rest I was hoping the rotational mass would offset the NON LRR tires because I want HIGH Grip as the car will be our main daily until our R1S comes (hopefully by Nov 2022) so I want tires I can literally count on for grip in all types of weather.

BTW Found the issue:

1628791284071.png
That's too bad and I bet very frustrating for you. Spacers are easy to add but looking at the picture it does not look like spacers will solve the problem. Sorry you have to deal with this!

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That's too bad and I bet very frustrating for you. Spacers are easy to add but looking at the picture it does not look like spacers will solve the problem. Sorry you have to deal with this!

Really I bought from tirerack because they are a turnkey solution as they charge for it, when it stops becoming a turnkey solution and I have to modify this and that, I am totally over it and not worth the cost/time haha. Yea total bummer, ill just get some LRR not as grippy all seasons and see how they do.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So about 1500+ Miles on the new tires and I have to report back about 10 to 15% reduction of range. Some variation probably due to temps and amount of HVAC used but even then its more noticeable on the highway vs city due to regen in heavier tires being recovered.

Highway Miles Before: 142 Miles (None to Minimal HVAC Use)
Highway Milles After: 112 (124 with out HVAC Use)

Some Before Range history data:

Rivian R1T R1S Help Me Decide EV Tires 1631032183433

After New Tires:
Rivian R1T R1S Help Me Decide EV Tires 1631032218184

Rivian R1T R1S Help Me Decide EV Tires 1631032141102

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That sounds eerily familiar...

I guess LRR ECO tires vs Grand Touring LRR Eco Tires made a huge impact on something that could be highly impact-able aka a small hyundai. I am hoping for way better numbers in the fall as I won't need HVAC use (so heavily) for a proper test. Traction wise is WAY more confident but I do get it to spin sometimes ha.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Absolutely! I have had the experience of having to drive on a donut while waiting for a scarce tire to be delivered. Yes, I am getting the full size spare...and am going with the 22's. There are lots of those around and expect better mileage/performance on road than with the 20's.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Just did a 1600 Mile EV trip and that 15% is more or less City while on the Highway with HVAC use its about 20%. On another note EV Infrastructure is there at least from DC to Vermont where I had to charge every 1 hour 30 min or 1 hour 45 min for 17 to 20 minutes for 80% OR 32 Min for 94%.

Most of the time I did the 32 min option we went super low int he battery pack driving 115 miles on a 117/120 mile charge depending on HVAC usage.

Rivian R1T R1S Help Me Decide EV Tires 1634525969233
Sponsored