'Heavy Truck' License Plates?

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am communicating with my guide for my R1S delivery next Saturday and he is informing me that I cannot transfer my Wisconsin Road America plates because they are not approved for 'heavy trucks' in Wisconsin. Can anyone else in this group confirm this is true? I swear I've seen a R1T in the Milwaukee area that has RA plates, and I really want to keep mine!

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
I am communicating with my guide for my R1S delivery next Saturday and he is informing me that I cannot transfer my Wisconsin Road America plates because they are not approved for 'heavy trucks' in Wisconsin. Can anyone else in this group confirm this is true? I swear I've seen a R1T in the Milwaukee area that has RA plates, and I really want to keep mine!

Thanks,
Ben
I would suggest that you take over registration, ie have rivian send you the MSO & sales receipt. That's what i did so i could keep my plates, i'm in oregon so ymmv.

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I can’t speak for your state, but in CT I wasn’t able to transfer my existing plates because my R1T exceeds the GVWR threshold that then requires me to get a ‘combo’ plate. Perhaps Wisconsin has something similar?

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would suggest that you take over registration, ie have rivian send you the MSO & sales receipt. That's what i did so i could keep my plates, i'm in oregon so ymmv.
Looks like Oregon limit is 10k lbs and Wisconsin is 8k lbs.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I just let Rivian register my vehicle in CA, I got the plates in 7 days and the title in 10 days. I then went to AAA who does DMV services in CA to transfer my old plate to the R1S. I did not want to muck up the process having them try to do it.

Was easy and painless then you can have your DMV let you know if you can transfer it.

BroseVino

First Name
Brose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayota
Occupation
manager
I'm pretty new on this forum, and I haven't personally experienced this situation, but I heard a story from a friend. So, my buddy Jake had a similar issue with his R1T a while back. He had these awesome vintage plates that he cherished, but they weren't approved for heavy trucks either. I usually find even trucks part from the same supplier. So I think he will be able to tell you how to deal with such situations. And as far as my friend is concerned, he was bummed, like you, and thought he'd have to say goodbye to them. But guess what? He found a workaround! He got a set of quality spare plates that were officially approved for trucks, and then he carefully customized them to look just like his beloved vintage ones. It took some effort, but it worked out great!
Sponsored

Last edited: