First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Financial Services
My Model X has cold weather package that includes heated wipers. Without a heat pump I’m concerned about winter driving in wetter climates. Having driven my Model X 100k plus miles and lots of time in the Cascades I’d like I out on how Rivian has engineered the heating system to combat icing windshield and or windshield fogging.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
See below from Owner's Manual. What exactly is your concern? Whether you can or the impact on range?

Rivian R1T R1S Heated wipers question with no heat pump defo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just in general terms, a heat pump is just another way to warm up air in the car basically. Rather than heating up a resistive heater like a space heater we all have had, it's (conceptually) and air conditioner in reverse.

OP
OP

Bridenback

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial Services
My main concern(s)and issue I’ve had with my tesla is wipers freezing In severe cold weather ice build up exterior windshield. I suspect this experience is partially Tesla related where the defrost setting only Had one setting (high) which was productive to defrost however cabin became too warm. I think I’m comfortable with Rivian’s cold weather testing where this shouldn’t be an issue. ??

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My main concern(s)and issue I’ve had with my tesla is wipers freezing In severe cold weather ice build up exterior windshield. I suspect this experience is partially Tesla related where the defrost setting only Had one setting (high) which was productive to defrost however cabin became too warm. I think I’m comfortable with Rivian’s cold weather testing where this shouldn’t be an issue. ??
does your model X not have a heated windshield?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bridenback

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial Services
My Model X has heated windshield wipers.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Model X does not have directly heated wipers, but rather a heating element in the windshield where the wipers are parked.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
The other cold weather questions I have are how the door handled and charge port doors going to function when the truck is covered in snow and ice. My Tesla does not always perform fantastically in those conditions.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'm confused. This is every car. Wipers freeze to the windshield, you get in and start defrosting before leaving.

Or you are proactive, when it is going to snow, pop your wiper blades up when you leave the car. Then when you get back, clear the snow/ice off and drop the blades back.

Not used to winter weather?

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
A heat pump vs resistive heater for warming up the air you blow on the windshield is a moot point (doesn’t make a difference to unfreezing the wipers). The heat pump is a little more f efficient at creating heat but probably loses some of its edge as the temps get really low.

I do find on my model S, that the heating element in the bottom of the glass is somewhat useful. Not a deal breaker but kind of wish Rivian had incorporated that. I do miss the fact that an ICE exhausts a fair amount of heat through the hood cowl and melts a lot of the buildup.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bridenback

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial Services
I'm confused. This is every car. Wipers freeze to the windshield, you get in and start defrosting before leaving.

Or you are proactive, when it is going to snow, pop your wiper blades up when you leave the car. Then when you get back, clear the snow/ice off and drop the blades back.

Not used to winter weather?
No confusion on my part. Probably 50% of my miles driven with my Model X have been IN winter weather and consequently I’m simply gaining a better understanding of the Rivian’s cold weather capability.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The other cold weather questions I have are how the door handled and charge port doors going to function when the truck is covered in snow and ice. My Tesla does not always perform fantastically in those conditions.
I’m not worried about the charge port door, since it powers out and rotates On a sort of cam. Seems robust.

if the door handles are half as reliable as the motorized garbage on a model S it’ll be streets ahead.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Heated wipers question with no heat pump 1642648538668

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The efficiency gains of a heat pump vs resistive heat as a % of battery pack doesn’t matter as much when the battery is f**king big. The cascades aren’t that far. There is no situation where the worst case isn’t just hitting up an EA station for a few minutes won’t solve. Even going to chelan is under 200 miles/way.