Headache rack for R1T - Protech - possibly in the works

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
I had been looking for a Protech style headache rack for my Rivian and there is nothing out there. Since I am only about 10 mins away from their Vancouver, WA location, I contacted them for a fitment session. Today I met with one of their designers to get measured. They said they would create some drawings for me to look at and if I approve, they could build me a rack and possibly a rear hoop.
https://protech.net/part-type/pickup-truck-cab-racks/

They offer black anodized ones in addition to the silver natural aluminum versions.

When talking to the designer, I had a few suggestions. Make the cross bar high enough to where it would work with the cargo carriers on the roof to have a level platform to load longer pieces of lumber, an extension ladder, etc. He mentioned that they could use j-bolts to secure the racks to the bed and keep it low profile enough to clear powered and manual tonneau covers. In addition, I mentioned that there should be a way to protect the shark fin from material sliding against it and to make sure to keep the gear tunnel and tailgate buttons clear. I don't have a powered tonneau cover, so I am not sure how much bigger that button is vs. having just a tailgate release button. So I might need those dimensions from somebody that has that. Want to make sure whatever they come up with fits all R1T's.

As a personal testimonial, I have used ProTech racks on several previous pickup trucks and they are built strong and in the US.
Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I don't have a powered tonneau cover, so I am not sure how much bigger that button is vs. having just a tailgate release button. So I might need those dimensions from somebody that has that. Want to make sure whatever they come up with fits all R1T's.

I am also in Vancouver, WA. And have a power cover. Tell me if you want me to take my R1T in. Or meet you for dimensions.

I am waiting for someone to make a specific aftermarket product because this has been my aftermarket solution until I find something perfect for my “work” truck

Rivian R1T R1S Headache rack for R1T - Protech - possibly in the works F111DFA8-C3FE-4B76-B9E4-DA57199FCBCB

Rivian R1T R1S Headache rack for R1T - Protech - possibly in the works F0EEBF7E-05F0-4F35-AF5F-2A69627A9DD5

OP
OP
hilld

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
I will let you know when they ask me for more information. What is the full length of the tailgate/tonneau cover button. It looks similar in dimensions to my release only button, but wanted to confirm.
Sponsored