Sponsored

Hauling fly fishing gear question

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I recently inherited quite a bit of gear and though I know nothing about fly fishing, I want to learn. My question is how is everyone hauling their gear/rods/etc.? I looked at the Yakima and Thule rod cases, but it looks like I would have to figure out a different type of mounting system for the length of the case. I'd rather not drill into the siderails of my R1T, so I'm trying to figure out my options. Any ideas?
Sponsored

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

You donā€™t need a rod case when youā€™re first starting out. I carry all my gear in the back of a Volvo XC40 and assemble the rod and reel at the river.

If you eventually get a rod case, the Riversmith one is really nice.

Tight lines.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
The inability to easily stow a rigged 9' rod is the only major drawback to the RIT as it relates to fishing. I've just been breaking a 4-piece rod in the middle and just stowing it in the gear tunnel. If I get motivated enough I might fabricate something out of the Sumo rod holder to permanently attach to the inside of the roof of the gear tunnel.

Personally I'm not a huge fan the external, rack mounted hard cases as they just broadcast that you have a couple thousand $ in rods in there and they won't really mount that well over the RIT roof / bed dimensions anyway. The adjustable length Trxstle rod case would mount to R1T racks and not look goofy, but you're still having to break the rod in half so it doesn't really do much for you in my opinion. My wagon was pretty ideal (as would be the R1S) as there is plenty of interior length to easily stow rigged 9'+ rods over the rear seats. Yes, I've thought about this a lot...

OP
OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for the info!

riviak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Good advice here and yes, let's please not start a trend of having every Rivian in fishy lands running about with a 4 to 8 barrel rod vault up top, as most Subarus and Tacomas in my vicinity. I think the main point of the rod vault is to broadcast "I'm a HUGE fly fisher." Just unnecessary unless you are guiding daily and need 4 bobber rigs ready to go. Putting together/collapsing rod and rigging is actually part of the ritual. Enjoy!

Sponsored

OP
OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Good advice here and yes, let's please not start a trend of having every Rivian in fishy lands running about with a 4 to 8 barrel rod vault up top, as most Subarus and Tacomas in my vicinity. I think the main point of the rod vault is to broadcast "I'm a HUGE fly fisher." Just unnecessary unless you are guiding daily and need 4 bobber rigs ready to go. Putting together/collapsing rod and rigging is actually part of the ritual. Enjoy!
Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to broadcast anything, nor will I try to prove how big of a fisherman I am. Trust me, as soon as I got to a good spot, I would be fumbling all over myself just trying to get to the water!

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Rivian R1T R1S Hauling fly fishing gear question 8rzwxwndeno91

I stole this photo off of Reddit someone posted, in case you want to see how it looks on the T. It is a bit different. As an S preorder holder, and a 10'6" proud EuroTrash member, I'd have to do the 11' case on the S, which would fit, but man that's a long one, I've never owned a rack rod case personally, and I've always had unfounded worry about catching a tree branch, not to mention I'd feel like I'm about to entertain the Royal Court at a Jousting Tournament, and I'd be willing to bet 98% of buyers are male. šŸ˜œ
Rivian R1T R1S Hauling fly fishing gear question jousting_knight_foxley

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Iā€™ve been fly fishing for 25+ years and never felt the need to drive with ā€œassembledā€ rods. Use the rod manufacturer tubes to transport them for maximum rod protection and compact storage. It doesnā€™t take 5 min to assemble and rig a 4-piece fly rod, or break it down if you need to drive between fishing holes. The gear tunnel will be ideal storage for rod tubes on fishing trips!
Sponsored