Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
  • Banned
Longtime lurker with March 2021 pre-order date. My original and current configuration is an Adventure R1T with the Max Pack. I'm keeping the Max Pack because every available inch of towing is important to me. So likely (hopefully) I'll see a vehicle in roughly a year. While my 2500 Suburban 3/4 ton has done good for me, in the interim I need a new tow vehicle. So I'm off to the Chevy dealership next week to pick-up a new Silverado 3500 Diesel. A MUCH different vehicle than the R1T!

With that background and to the point.. I was reading the news today of the arrival of the Mercedes EQS EV SUV in showrooms later this year. No pricing yet but likely around $100k. Then there is the Hyundai Ioniq 5 around $55k. Both sharp looking SUV EVs. Then you have the R1S with a base price of $79k to upwards of $90k for an Quad Motor equip Adventure R1S. So I pose the question...for someone shopping for an SUV EV today...who would choose an R1S to put a deposit on? It strikes me that the answer is "no one." The R1S is so very misplaced in the marketplace; it doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Mercedes has luxury sewed up at the moment with EQS in my mind. Hyundai will dominate the mid market almost certainly. Maybe for a select few niche buyers R1S I suppose..because they want a tank turn?

Then there is the R1T. I'd love to have it now. It would solve a bunch of problems for me. Give me ONE vehicle as Daily driver, occasional tow vehicle with lot's of early adopter coolness. But I can't get one for a year. In the meantime I'll be driving around a Chevy diesel and probably talk to the dealer about getting in the Silverado EV line while I'm there next week. In a year from now, am I really still gonna want the R1T? I don't know but I'm guessing I might not. Particularly when I have a perfectly good 1 year old diesel AND MAYBE just a hop skip and jump away from getting into Silverado EV with just a little more waiting. A truck with an actual dealer to service it and very little corporate existential risk.

Of course all of this is mostly off the cuff thoughts, particular to me and just my opinion. But with each passing day it seems clearer and clearer to me that Rivian has lost the EV SUV & truck battle AND likely the war as well.
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
It's not like there can be only one winner. Tesla burned through huge piles of $ and survived...and that without the Amazon contract for 100,000 vehicles. With the reviews Rivian has gotten, if they can keep production going with quality build and good customer support, they will survive and thrive...that may not be winning, but I'll take it. BTW: every time I park my R1T, somebody comes up to me and asks about it and wish they could get one now.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

People said Tesla wouldn't make it, but they did. Lucid will never go to production, they have. For now Rivian has a place but let's give it some time to see what happens. Audi might make a nice product but 200 miles is just too small, MB is making interesting vehicles but they cost more. BMW is the in-between

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Give me ONE vehicle as Daily driver, occasional tow vehicle with lot's of early adopter coolness. But I can't get one for a year.
You really think you will tow with an Ioniq 5 or a MB EQS SUV? What are the tow ratings for them?

I think the Ioniq 5 is fine, but it isn't really a competitor for a R1S. They are completely different sizes, different abilities, different price points. Both electric, sure.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Look at the number of vehicles sold annually by Subaru and Land Rover (and Jeep, and 4Runner’s). Don’t underestimate the size of the adventure market (and the adventure brand market for people who don’t actually “adventure”) at all price points.

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
The first, or perhaps second battle of many, in a long war - is just beginning.

OP
OP

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
  • Banned
BTW: every time I park my R1T, somebody comes up to me and asks about it and wish they could get one now.
My hobby, passion, obsession in life is cars. I'm fortunate enough to own some very head turning attention getting cars. However, I hate it. I love these cars for what they are...not what they represent. I desperately want to drive an R1T for the experience of it. I absolutely dread the attention it may draw....It's a big turn off for me in this case. I would rather remain wallflower and enjoy the car not the attention.

Zstarchild

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Um, no. For the same reason people buy Toyota 4Runners. There are better SUVs, some cheaper, some with more space, some with newer features, etc. But there will always be a market for it because people love it.

The Mercedes SUV will be hella expensive, and it will sell a ton. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is really just an EV crossover, nothing like an SUV, and it will sell tons. The Kia Ev9 will sell tons. And you know what, there will still be a huge market for people who love the R1S. It looks good, It has awesome features, and it comes in the best colors. People believe in the brand. The R1S doesn’t have to do everything better than every other car for it to sell like crazy, like the 4runner. It will only get better over time with OTA updates and hardware upgrades. Rivian has something like 30000 preorders already for the R1S. And they’re building a loyal customer base. I would never buy a Mercedes or a VW or a Tesla, and the Japanese brands are dragging their feet on EVs for some reason. I’m sure there’s lots of people like me. Rivian will be fine.

Sponsored

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Cant agree with you here. In 2020, 3% of vehicles were EVs. The battle, much less the war is still in the early stages. How many times has Tesla been written off, only to rise like a Phoenix? I get why you cannot wait and purchased an ICE truck but seems to me you are trying to convince yourself you made the right decision. I have owned BMWs, and Benz vehicles and they both make great cars. I have also owned a Tesla for 3 years and don’t miss the delight of visiting the dealership. No doubt Rivian faces a rocky and uncertain future and we are taking a risk, but my money including stocks are on them for the long haul.

OP
OP

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
You really think you will tow with an Ioniq 5 or a MB EQS SUV? What are the tow ratings for them?

I think the Ioniq 5 is fine, but it isn't really a competitor for a R1S. They are completely different sizes, different abilities, different price points. Both electric, sure.
No but I never said that. Referring to the R1T. The Ioniq 5 is definitely NOT a competitor to the R1S...but that's not the point. The R1S is floating in the Netherland of the car market. It fits nowhere. It's outclassed in luxury IMO and the middle market can't afford it. Again, TODAY, who choses to the R1S as their SUV EV of choice. A niche few imo.

OP
OP

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Cant agree with you here. In 2020, 3% of vehicles were EVs.
That's also the logic behind the proliferation for craft breweries....but I'm still not convinced! But my judgement could be clouded drinking too many of them......

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

No but I never said that. Referring to the R1T. The Ioniq 5 is definitely NOT a competitor to the R1S...but that's not the point. The R1S is floating in the Netherland of the car market. It fits nowhere. It's outclassed in luxury IMO and the middle market can't afford it. Again, TODAY, who choses to the R1S as their SUV EV of choice. A niche few imo.
I literally included your quote where you said you wanted an occasional tow vehicle (3rd paragraph, 4th sentence).

And yes, a niche few choose the R1S/R1T. It isn't a mainstream product. Can you name a vehicle that costs $80k and is mainstream? No, because $80k vehicles aren't mainstream products.

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
.... I absolutely dread the attention it may draw....It's a big turn off for me in this case. I would rather remain wallflower and enjoy the car not the attention.
Does a Porsche allow the wallflower treatment?

TODAY, who choses to the R1S as their SUV EV of choice.
The guy who wants to tow his 997.2 to the race track?

I guess you could just race the R1S instead, but that would kinda piss off the Pcar crowd.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.