Sponsored

Has anyone on this forum received a confirmed delivery date?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In scrolling through this, nobody seems to have a "confirmed delivery date." I have a March -April window, but still no date. Spoke to CS about when I would get a guide contact and they said "when you get closer to delivery." I would think that 3 months from the end of April is "close." I also asked if I could get my Wall Charger in advance so that I am ready to go. The response was "you will get the charger well in advance." Soooo...I am to get my truck within 3 months, gonna hear from my guide when I get closer and I am going to be able to get my charger "well in advance," but still crickets. I am pretty sure the delivery window time frames are not going to be accurate. Stock price is going to get hammered. I was hoping for under-promise/over-deliver, but it looks like it is going to be over-promise/under-deliver.

sigh...
I would assume that the stock guidance is their best estimate. Not an under-promise situation.
Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'd be surprised if they reach out to finalize the truck purchase more than a month in advance...at best.
I am no Rivian expert, but I have ordered new cars in the past. I've never encountered a situation where the time from final order to completion was less than a month.

They will have to know the exact configuration prior to even scheduling production. Once they know the configuration, they can schedule the build based on other similar or likely identical builds.

If they are only scheduling builds with a few weeks of leadtime, then they will never be able to ramp up production.

Just look at how every other auto maker schedules production... Including Ford, Tesla, and everyone else.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
They will have to know the exact configuration prior to even scheduling production. Once they know the configuration, they can schedule the build based on other similar or likely identical builds.
I cordially disagree. They won't be making "bespoke" trucks for each order for quite a while. They're going to build trucks in batches - especially in the beginning, knowing approximately how many orders they have for each "batch type". There's probably 1000+ launch edition, with LE green and black interiors on order. Wheels don't matter, accessories don't matter. The only option that really matters beside interior/exterior color is the off-road pack.

So they'll be making 100's of the same vehicle at a time. Once they know that they have one that matches your configuration ready to be built, or is already built, they'll reach out to you. No need to do complex individual build sequences until they're much closer to running out the backlog.

We know that like most manufacturing plants, they're running 2 shifts per day, 6 days per week. They could probably run a full week of LE/black without making a big dent in those orders.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
whats comical is RJ driving around the Normal lot, posting vidoes on twitter of all the vehicles they've produced and not a peep to customers.
The tweet is customer communication.

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I cordially disagree. They won't be making "bespoke" trucks for each order for quite a while. They're going to build trucks in batches - especially in the beginning, knowing approximately how many orders they have for each "batch type". There's probably 1000+ launch edition, with LE green and black interiors on order. Wheels don't matter, accessories don't matter. The only option that really matters beside interior/exterior color is the off-road pack.

So they'll be making 100's of the same vehicle at a time. Once they know that they have one that matches your configuration ready to be built, or is already built, they'll reach out to you. No need to do complex individual build sequences until they're much closer to running out the backlog.

We know that like most manufacturing plants, they're running 2 shifts per day, 6 days per week. They could probably run a full week of LE/black without making a big dent in those orders.
Sure... You could go with that idea.

Or you could just accept that's not how it works as demonstrated by every auto manufacturer ever.

Reactions: Guy

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I was chatting with CS recently about the delivery estimator, Limestone, the meaning of life, etc.

Interestingly, the CS rep provided me with a more specific delivery for my LE reservation than the email I originally received. Basically, gave me single specific month, instead of the 2-month range.
Threw me off at first, but re-confirmed that my window was that specific month, and indeed it seems that way. We shall see.

Has anyone else received similar info?

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
I was chatting with CS recently about the delivery estimator, Limestone, the meaning of life, etc.

Interestingly, the CS rep provided me with a more specific delivery for my LE reservation than the email I originally received. Basically, gave me single specific month, instead of the 2-month range.
Threw me off at first, but re-confirmed that my window was that specific month, and indeed it seems that way. We shall see.

Has anyone else received similar info?
SO what is your delivery month? :)

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That would have been good to include, sorry!

I was/am in the April-May group. CS told me my current delivery estimate is between April 1st and April 30th.

I just asked CS, crickets... LOL.

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor

Or you could just accept that's not how it works as demonstrated by every auto manufacturer ever.
Or you could just accept that you have no more info than Cohall. Just because other manufacturers have demonstrated it this way, doesn't mean a thing. Unless you know the inner workings of Rivian, a company still in its infancy, Cohall's theory is just as valid as yours.

Last edited:

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A

And how many auto manufacturers have launched in the modern era and still exist? Two, including Rivian (three, with Lucid?)? Yea, you're totally wrong, it'll be a long time before Rivian is building to order on an individual basis. There aren't that many options. They will batch build for all of 2022. I'd stake my entire investment portfolio on that.

Last edited:

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX

Actually, cohall's description is exactly how Tesla has done all of their vehicle launch manufacturing...and most of their ongoing manufacturing.
It's important to know that Tesla rarely build to order. They build batches of cars and match customer orders to what they have built.
Tesla does not build "to order" regardless of what people like to think. They do not have any real option list, so just build cars in batches that meet those specs (like a lot of other car manufacturers). BMW, Audi, Porsche and some others let you actually order a car that is "built for you".

A tesla is just built, and matched to you when they get to the spec you ordered. Tesla only has (for model 3)

(3) Main trim options (Standard range, Long range, or Long range performance)

5 exterior colors ( black, white, blue, red, dark grey)
2 interior colors (black, or black and white)
18, 19 or 20 inch wheels.

When you place an order (with deposit) they attempt to match you to a car that is in your area if possible. If not possible, they put you in the queue for the next time they are making that trim (so yes, fremont still builds the spec car you "ordered" if you cancel your order.. they just match it to someone else, or ship it to an area where there is demand for that spec to sell to someone else).

Its more like ordering a box of frosted flakes from amazon. If you dont order it, its not like they dont make the box anyway. In no case are they really "building a car with "your" specs. They are building cars of various specs, and when they get to the batch that includes yours they match you with it.