Sponsored

Has anyone changed their Launch edition build?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I understand the FOMO on Rivians in general, but I feel like the kitchen is one of those things that could be added on after the fact if you really wanted. Plus, there might be more gear tunnel accessories that Rivian or other third party companies create down the line ... It's not the same as, say, going for the large battery pack and then wishing you had gotten the max pack.
I spoke with Rivian chat a while back and they confirmed that the camp kitchen will be an accessory that can be added after purchase. This is probably one of those over priced accessories that is best NOT added into a loan if that’s your payment method.
Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I don’t want to drive an egg. I don’t want a model Y egg or a model X egg that is the same as all the other eggs on the road. I want a boxy, Rover-ish, SUV. This is what drew me to the R1S and I will gladly accept a LE with all the risks...I guarantee I won’t be any riskier than owning a Land Rover with decades to get it right...and I know.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
@Trandall - truth be told, I have same mindset as your last point.

Rivian truck is hugely appealing, and being one of the first people to get them in 2021 is its own thrill. But in back of my mind, I contemplate what risks may lurk in a brand-new vehicle from an infant automaker. Rivian has far exceeded most in doing lengthy, methodical product R&D, field testing. Yet that still cannot reveal the nuances of a higher-volume production line. Giving Rivian a couple years to shake things out, go public, earn the badge of a top-quality builder and establish real-world credibility does cross my mind.

For (late) 2021 or early 2022 there are many more BEV's coming to market - albeit few true adventure vehicles. Even those are coming from upstarts or Ford/GM - all of whom have some first-gen build uncertainties.

Wide-ranging options now or near-term in $40-80K territory, including some PHEVs and not necessarily all truck/SUV include:
  • Audi e-tron (base)
  • Toyota RAV4-Prime
  • Volvo Polestar-2
  • Hyundai Ioniq-5
  • Porsche Cayenne-Hybrid (yes, base without a SINGLE OPTION)
  • Porsche Macan-E (sometime in 2022)
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Tesla's CT
Funny, In my mind, I completely agree with you post. I’ve seldom been a beta Tester for anything. Yet in watching the progress and painstaking testing Rivian has done, I”m going to bite the bullet and be a launch customer. I’d prefer the longer range >400 miles, but don’t want to wait. I like that in this case if I end up going with Launch Green color It will be unique. Hard to do that in CA. I have a home charging infrastructure in place, so I know I’ll be able to charge when I want. As a Tesla M3 performance owner, I will miss the Tesla supercharger network. I bought with free lifetime charging so its my biggest and only regret. I miss driving an SUV and with the tax credits and supposed performance the RiS will closely mimic my Tesla. Can’t wait. I hope I get mine after around 1000 or so have been built. Those are the true Beta drivers.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Funny, In my mind, I completely agree with you post. I’ve seldom been a beta Tester for anything. Yet in watching the progress and painstaking testing Rivian has done, I”m going to bite the bullet and be a launch customer. I’d prefer the longer range >400 miles, but don’t want to wait. I like that in this case if I end up going with Launch Green color It will be unique. Hard to do that in CA. I have a home charging infrastructure in place, so I know I’ll be able to charge when I want. As a Tesla M3 performance owner, I will miss the Tesla supercharger network. I bought with free lifetime charging so its my biggest and only regret. I miss driving an SUV and with the tax credits and supposed performance the RiS will closely mimic my Tesla. Can’t wait. I hope I get mine after around 1000 or so have been built. Those are the true Beta drivers.
I'm thinking similarly.

One other option I wondered about - any chance the demand for the LE is so high, us LE owners could sell our lightly used vehicle for a profit and get back in line (or get in line now for a 2nd purchase with a bigger range, maybe more color options, and maybe more feature options)?

Any restrictions on utilization of the $7,500 EV consumer credit? What do folks think will be the secondary market price for the LE editions?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
What do folks think will be the secondary market price for the LE editions?
I think that at least the early ones will sell for above MSRP for people that don't want to wait & have enough money not to care. The question in my opinion is how much over MSRP theyight be willing to pay.

I'll be holding onto mine regardless, despite any early adopter issues.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

If it goes nuts like the C8 Corvette did, with a resale market of $15-20k over MSRP then it will be hard to pass up.

Does the original buyer forfeit the federal tax credit by turning around and reselling it quickly?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
No, but if you sell it for a profit you will generate taxable income.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
No, but if you sell it for a profit you will generate taxable income.
No reporting, and hard for the IRS to know about, but that is correct.
One of my favorite parts of Pub 525:
Stolen property. If you steal property, you must report its FMV in your income in the year you steal it unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner.
Like that's going to happen!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Curious if anyone has gone in and changed configuration recently. I have not done it since November but do not recall seeing this message. Completely different than the message on the screen before you click update configuration.

Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone changed their Launch edition build? 68E2410C-FB84-49C2-AB03-C7DB80B479C0

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I'm hoping people don't configure with the camp kitchen and Rivian will realize it is overpriced and makes it more reasonable.
I want it, but not at $5K. Even if they threw in the fancy cookware (instead of it being extra), that's a hard price to swallow for what you get.
I feel like the kitchen is one of those things that could be added on after the fact if you really wanted. Plus, there might be more gear tunnel accessories that Rivian or other third party companies create down the line ... It's not the same as, say, going for the large battery pack and then wishing you had gotten the max pack.
Agree on both - waaay overpriced and can be easily added later.

A couple of gear tunnel suggestions I sent to Rivian some time ago (and posted some where on this forum) is a scaled down version of the camp kitchen where it only takes up half of the GT. That option should be obviously much cheaper and perhaps more appealing for the single or couple campers. Then the other half of the GT can be used for storing other camping/outdoor gear, or, which brings me to my other suggestion, a pull out mini fridge. But of course these options would need to be reasonable priced. It certainly will be interesting to see what additional GT options Rivian comes up with including the after market, accessory companies.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Curious if anyone has gone in and changed configuration recently. I have not done it since November but do not recall seeing this message. Completely different than the message on the screen before you click update configuration.

68E2410C-FB84-49C2-AB03-C7DB80B479C0.jpeg

They did that because so many people are playing around and worried and bugging CS. As long as you are a LE and keep on LE (read Adventure pack) you can change color, interior and wheels and not lose your spot. It more prevalent on R1T where people may change battery pack etc. Ive changed mine 3 or 4 times and still shows LE.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You can also play with the configurator as much as you want while logged-out without worrying about screwing up your reservation.

You'll have a chance to make your final selections before you finalize your order... so no need to mess with the reservation if you just want to see color options or play around with pricing/config.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You can also play with the configurator as much as you want while logged-out without worrying about screwing up your reservation.

You'll have a chance to make your final selections before you finalize your order... so no need to mess with the reservation if you just want to see color options or play around with pricing/config.
Yup, this is exactly what I do. Open an incognito/private tab and configure away.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

just keep checking your reservation status for signs of order finalizing which is "coming soon"

Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone changed their Launch edition build? SkeletonPC.JPG
Sponsored