First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
While it lacks anything really new in content I just received an email from Rivian restating some of their goals for this year. Any news is good news....
Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Of note, they say they are launching 10 "experience centers across the U.S. in 2021"

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

While it lacks anything really new in content I just received an email from Rivian restating some of their goals for this year. Any news is good news....
I love that RJ says "We are also building the Rivian Adventure Network — a large network of DC fast chargers — to make it easy for you to go anywhere on the map", also acknowledging that it will take time. With EA building out along major Interstates (with a notable lack in the Intermountain West), maybe Rivian could also focus the RAN DCFC stations along busy U.S. Highways to help fill in those areas between Interstates, but close to the Level 2 Destination Chargers.

In the West, the gaps between DCFC stations can make much of an area inaccessible, at least without severe range anxiety. Not only would it help "to go anywhere on the map", but it would likely allow Rivianites to arrive at the slower Destination Chargers with a higher SOC meaning less time needed on the Level 2's, thus freeing them up for others to use.

He also said "We’ll be launching 10 experience centers across the U.S. in 2021", with no mention of locations as of yet. I can't remember hearing much detail about Experience Centers to date, although someone will likely point me to that info. As with everyone here, I hope one is close to home (Portland, Oregon, hint, hint). While these 10 experience centers will be a big part of getting Rivians on (and off) the road, it's the 41 Service Centers that I'm hoping to hear more about very soon.

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

keeping an eye on the careers page often has some hints:
Rivian R1T R1S Happy New Year Email from Rivian Capture.PNG

Those are the three that jumped out. They have that theater place in the LA area already. Didn't see any other obvious job spots....

Further on the page I see Service Center Tech jobs for Chicago, Miami, Normal, San Francisco, Seattle. Vancouver Canada

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sponsored

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks like one for sure in Laguna Beach, will be worth a road trip to see. If it opens this summer.

https://www.lagunabeachindy.com/rivian-renovate-downtown-theater/
The article says it will open in late 2021.

I'm curious if this is a "flagship" location for the Rivian business or if this is what they mean by "experience centers." They will have no onsite vehicle transactions. This looks more like a community space where they will show outdoor films, host guest speakers, open an art gallery, host workshops (“Road and trail running, finding the right gear,” "How can I reduce single-use plastics "), a conference room open for non-profit use, a café, and a retail store well they will sell "vehicle accessories" but also "[c]amping, hiking and other outdoor and adventure activity supply items." Sounds more like an REI than a car dealership.

No mention of test drives. They will have two vehicles in the lobby: "the lobby area will be open and available for the public to enter the space to learn about the Rivian mission to create sustainable products and electric vehicles."

Here is the planning commission report and Rivian's application (nothing really mentioned about the vehicles):

https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...nt/pdf/786186/Item_No._4.1_-_Staff_Report.pdf

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
My two cents based on a quick read....
Based on the wording for the 'Retail Use' space. That looks to be a store for Rivian 'goods'. My guess is that if you are looking to buy the vehicle, they will tell you to visit next door to see them and then go online to purchase. Not sure how they will handle test drives. That might be a separate location that handles test drives. Maybe that would also be service center.

Odd that the parking section does not have anything about installing Charges. :(

I am glad to see that Rivian is investing in the areas they are going into instead of building from scratch or tearing down the old. :)
Sponsored