First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘13 tacoma
Occupation
Firefighter/ paramedic
Has anyone purchased an R1t and put a bike on the back tailgate? Wondering about the geometry of the tailgate and the bike hanging off the back.
Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
What is your question exactly?

A number of people carry bicycles in the back/on top of the R1T like any other pickup truck.

Tailgate pad
Tossed in back of bed
Cross bars on top of cab
Cross bars over bed
Mount inside bed (fork attachment)
Hitch mount
Suction cup mount

OP
OP

jnc007

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘13 tacoma
Occupation
Firefighter/ paramedic
Im just wondering if there’s any issues with using the tailgate pad. Rivian pushes the bed rack, but that’s a pain. I just like putting my bike on the tailgate.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Ah got it. No there should not be any issues. I've seen a few in my area who do it. Plus a few posters on this forum have done the same.

You can use the gear guard cable as an extra security measure as well. Personally I'd do the same (tailgate pad) since it easier/faster and I don't ride often. Nor do I have a need for racks.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Im just wondering if there’s any issues with using the tailgate pad. Rivian pushes the bed rack, but that’s a pain. I just like putting my bike on the tailgate.
I don't do my bikes that way but I've heard that it's real easy to dent the tailgate because of how sharp the crease is between the lights and top plastic piece.

Sponsored

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV
I was also hoping to use a tailgate pad - but after seeing just how thick the tailgate is, I'm not sure it is going to work all that well without some on-off support for the area under the fork/frame. I hate to have to use a hitch rack when I have a pickup. I do think the R1S will be better for bike transport as you can just slide your entire mountain bike inside - it is a huge area.

lifezzgood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I don't do my bikes that way but I've heard that it's real easy to dent the tailgate because of how sharp the crease is between the lights and top plastic piece.
I'm about to buy a bike pad - did anyone find one that fits better than another on the R1T - took delivery this week. Thanks

dotlinetriangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Forest Green / Black Mountain / 21”
Clubs

I grabbed a Race Face T2 S/M based on the findings in that post since it has padding right on the creased area. So far so good!
Sponsored