Sponsored

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I washed my R1T yesterday for the first time. It was great weather here in Florida, so I had no excuse not to do it. It was exhausting work. I struggled with the darn hose, and even managed to spray myself when I dropped the hose and it landed on the nozzle trigger.

I skipped the wheels and tires and forgot to do the door jambs until after going out for a celebratory dinner. Boy, I love a clean vehicle. I had very little water in the bed with the cover closed. I used a microfiber cloth attached to a Swiffer Sweeper pole to reach across the roof other surfaces. I also used a small step stool.

Does anyone have any detailing tips to make this job easier? Is a foam gun a worthwhile investment? How does one deal with unruly hoses?

Rivian R1T R1S Hand Wash Tips. What's Your Routine / Technique? F477D4F5-75BA-45B6-A4D0-C91F10DB8AC9
Sponsored

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You can go a few different paths with this. You can become an addict like I used to be. This is where you have an arsenal of polishers like porter cable and German carnauba wax and car shampoos. It's a black hole of never ending obsession with products and results. OR, you can take the sane route and use a very simple method. I do this once-a-year and the rest of the time just wash and dry the car.

I wash the car with water and then soap and then water again. After that I clay bar the car, wash again. This is the important part. I use Griot's three-in-one ceramic spray. Let that sit for 12 hours and then spray again. The rest of the year I wash the car with water, soap and then water; then towel dry. The once-a-year thing takes a few hours but the rest of the year it takes about 15 minutes. My cars all look showroom ready. Yes, I have car OCD.

My R1S on order is silver and I plan to take it through the car wash.

Rivian R1T R1S Hand Wash Tips. What's Your Routine / Technique? IMG_8038.JPG

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I did the same thing yesterday. I spent a few hours starting with the tires and then doing the truck from the top down. I used all the items that out of spec detailing suggested. Had the whole three bucket setup going. I’m sure my neighbor across the street thought I was a lunatic.

I didn’t actually buy the foam cannon, so I can’t speak to that - all the other stuff added up to enough of a hefty Amazon bill!

I will say, that the best item on out of spec detailing’s list were the “The Rag Company” drying towels.

No the truck is in the garage as it is threatening rain. Oh well. That’s how it goes.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
My routine has evolved over the years. I started with everything: Foam cannon, Master Blaster, 2 bucket wash, and lots of accessories. I used to do pro style application of ceramic also. But, I've found that simple is better over the years and can be just as effective.

Now, the routine looks like this:
Pressure spray everything.
One bucket, multi sponge wash using PH neutral products. Water doesn't get dirty if you do it right, no need to slog two buckets around but you need many sponges.
Foam cannon ROI is low. It looks cool but just another setup/breakdown process that isn't worth the time, money and maintenance.
Simple 100CFM lightweight battery operated blower (no cords to trip over, light and easy to use with towel, more CFM is not better) and towels.
Griot's three-in-one. Easier and just as effective as pro style multi-step application.

Minimal setup maximum results.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

F477D4F5-75BA-45B6-A4D0-C91F10DB8AC9.jpeg

I washed my R1T yesterday for the first time. It was great weather here in Florida, so I had no excuse not to do it. It was exhausting work. I struggled with the darn hose, and even managed to spray myself when I dropped the hose and it landed on the nozzle trigger.

I skipped the wheels and tires and forgot to do the door jambs until after going out for a celebratory dinner. Boy, I love a clean vehicle. I had very little water in the bed with the cover closed. I used a microfiber cloth attached to a Swiffer Sweeper pole to reach across the roof other surfaces. I also used a small step stool.

Does anyone have any detailing tips to make this job easier? Is a foam gun a worthwhile investment? How does one deal with unruly hoses?
Find yourself a good detailer. Bring him this paint sealant kit by Klasse (which is now on sale for $49.99) and have him apply it The sealant should last you at least a year, maybe more.

Unlike ceramic coatings, this paint sealant can go through a car wash without issue, has an insane shine, is remarkably durable, and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I personally like to use a foaming wash and the attachment goes right on your hose.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

My normal monthly detail process is:
  • Quick rinse with pressure washer
  • Foam with MJJC cannon and Gyeon Foam, dwell for a few minutes, quick agitation with Rag Company Cyclone kit and then rinse.
  • Decon with P&S iron buster, rinse after 3-5 minutes
  • Dry with Rag Company “The Gauntlet”
  • Top-up sealant (Turtle Wax Graphene Flex).
In winter months, I’ll use a car wash stall to do my rinse, and the do a waterless wash with P&S Absolute and use The Rag Company Platinum Pluffle. I use about 6-8 towels when washing the truck. Dry with The Gauntlet. If I’m not being lazy, I’ll also top-up the sealant.

ac95

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Film Industry
During the pandemic i went into car detailing work. Learned how to detail regular and high end vehicles. We used Chemical Guys products. My vehicles have never been washed by anyone else since then. Since then I’ve transitioned to Adams Polishes products. Less overlap, a bit more straightforward approach to car detailing. His YouTube videos are really informative.

OP
OP
Quattro Powers

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
During the pandemic i went into car detailing work. Learned how to detail regular and high end vehicles. We used Chemical Guys products. My vehicles have never been washed by anyone else since then. Since then I’ve transitioned to Adams Polishes products. Less overlap, a bit more straightforward approach to car detailing. His YouTube videos are really informative.
Whose videos?

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Find yourself a good detailer. Bring him this paint sealant kit by Klasse (which is now on sale for $49.99) and have him apply it The sealant should last you at least a year, maybe more.

Unlike ceramic coatings, this paint sealant can go through a car wash without issue, has an insane shine, is remarkably durable, and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I personally like to use a foaming wash and the attachment goes right on your hose.
Ceramic coatings have no issues with car washes, unless that car wash uses abrasive brushes (which you should avoid in all situations IMO). I applied my own ceramic coating for ~$60, it's very reasonable if you DIY and only takes a couple hours start to finish (including washing)

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Here's how I do our Model 3/Y, and will be doing the same if our R1S ever comes. I'm not into having a million different products, so very minimal on that front. But it works for me and keeps the cars looking nice.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN

I mostly follow this.

I put the truck in Offroad Highest to do the wheels and wheel wells, then lower it to lowest for the rest. I still need a ladder to reach the roof and the center of the hood, front/rear windows and tonneau. I bought an electric power washer that I'm mostly happy with. It came with a foam cannon although the bottle is tiny so has to be filled twice to foam the whole truck.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
+1 for Klasse. I’ve used a ton of other stuff (including at-home ceramic) and Klasse holds up great while being extremely easy to apply.

Just make sure you do the prep. Proper wash, clay, alcohol wipe down, rinse, possibly repeat if it’s been a while. Then Klasse all-one-polish, then Klasse sealant. Two applications of sealant if you want to go nuts. If stored indoors, re-application is pretty rare. If stored outside, plan on doing it 1-2x a year, possibly more depending on your climate.

Nuanced take on ceramic: it’s great for some applications, environments, and uses.

It doesn’t hold up well enough for vehicles stored outside in my climate (wet, coastal CA) to justify the work required to apply and maintain it. I’ll get a lot of hate for this, but I live 500’ from the water in an exposed place at sea level with nearly constant wind, and the combo of dust (a lot), salty air, fog, tree drippings, all wind-driven constantly at 15+mph is murder on ceramic. There’s no respite for the truck if it’s outside. The Klasse isn’t any better, it’s just a hell of lot easier to apply. That said, the cars I store indoors that are ceramic-coated are pretty much maintenance-free.
Sponsored