Sponsored

Hairbrained Idea - T-track Mount for Bed Rack

MotsuNabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, MX-5
I have always been interested in the Leitner Designs bed rack systems. The mounting pods look like a great way to store and access gear. I have had a chance to play with one but never owned one (if anyone has first-hand experience, please share!). The problem is I called Leitner and asked about Rivian plans and they "have absolutely no plans to support R1T" - I was surprised and bummed at the firmness of the response. (FrontRunner on the other hand has said they would love to get their hands on an R1T to make something for it, FYI for anyone in Socal.)

However, Leitner already makes a fairly generic T-track mounted option that is intended to mount to aftermarket rolltop tonneaus. I was inspired by this thread from W1SE, and thought, why couldn't I just mount an extruded aluminum T track to the top of the bed rail using the same system he used? I would cut out some holes in the rail to be able to access the buttons for the gear tunnel, tailgate, and tonneau. That would be a DIY approach. But I wondered if there was a way to do it even better so I took the R1T to a local fabrication shop to ask what they thought. After admiring the truck for 20 mins, they said they think they could easily fabricate a locking mechanism that attaches a 3" wide aluminum flat bar to the bed rail. A T track could be screwed or welded to that bar for attaching anything. They have some engineering to do to make the attachment but it sounds tempting.

Two questions: 1/ What do you guys think? and 2/ Anyone else interested in the parts? Engineering costs are probably going to be higher than the water jet fabrication costs. It would get cheaper if a few others were also in.

Rivian R1T R1S Hairbrained Idea - T-track Mount for Bed Rack 1662575885300
Sponsored

OP
OP

MotsuNabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, MX-5
Company name. Not user.

https://www.putco.com/
Yeah, I get that. (It is actually a user name on this forum too, presumably backed by someone at the company.) But that still didn't tell me what they are making after they complete these scans. I thought maybe you'd know since you pointed me to it. Anyway, I called them and they told me they are considering making one of their Overlanding Adventure V Tec Racks, maybe a few other options like a pillar post trim and lettering kit. But nothing is done or set in stone. All they have done is scan the truck. Doesn't sound like anything will be ready any time soon.

Their rack looks fine. But I prefer the Leitner functionality and aesthetic. I'd love input from anyone else on the original idea!

Thanks.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have always been interested in the Leitner Designs bed rack systems. The mounting pods look like a great way to store and access gear. I have had a chance to play with one but never owned one (if anyone has first-hand experience, please share!). The problem is I called Leitner and asked about Rivian plans and they "have absolutely no plans to support R1T" - I was surprised and bummed at the firmness of the response. (FrontRunner on the other hand has said they would love to get their hands on an R1T to make something for it, FYI for anyone in Socal.)

However, Leitner already makes a fairly generic T-track mounted option that is intended to mount to aftermarket rolltop tonneaus. I was inspired by this thread from W1SE, and thought, why couldn't I just mount an extruded aluminum T track to the top of the bed rail using the same system he used? I would cut out some holes in the rail to be able to access the buttons for the gear tunnel, tailgate, and tonneau. That would be a DIY approach. But I wondered if there was a way to do it even better so I took the R1T to a local fabrication shop to ask what they thought. After admiring the truck for 20 mins, they said they think they could easily fabricate a locking mechanism that attaches a 3" wide aluminum flat bar to the bed rail. A T track could be screwed or welded to that bar for attaching anything. They have some engineering to do to make the attachment but it sounds tempting.

Two questions: 1/ What do you guys think? and 2/ Anyone else interested in the parts? Engineering costs are probably going to be higher than the water jet fabrication costs. It would get cheaper if a few others were also in.

1662575885300.png
So would the T track be on the top of the bed sides with spaces for the buttons or on the insides of the bed walls (Like on a Tacoma or a few other trucks)? I ask because on the insides would obviously not be able to hold as much weight above it.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Responded to you on Instagram, but here are some pics.
Rivian R1T R1S Hairbrained Idea - T-track Mount for Bed Rack 2022-07-12 2nd iteration _164317

Rivian R1T R1S Hairbrained Idea - T-track Mount for Bed Rack 2022-07-04 gear tunnel button _112131

OP
OP

MotsuNabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, MX-5
Responded to you on Instagram, but here are some pics.
2022-07-12 2nd iteration _164317.jpg

2022-07-04 gear tunnel button _112131.jpg
@kneebuster I see you have already beat me to this idea! Thanks for confirming the approach would work. Though you have now sparked my interested in Xtrusion overlands products. The T Track system is so universal, I use them everywhere in my shop. Thanks!

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
@kneebuster I see you have already beat me to this idea! Thanks for confirming the approach would work. Though you have now sparked my interested in Xtrusion overlands products. The T Track system is so universal, I use them everywhere in my shop. Thanks!
I am working with Xtrusion Overland on adapting my solution. They intend to clean up the "feet" where the uprights attach to the rails I fabbed up. I'm also talking to them about a 10% discount for the Rivian community. Give me a couple of weeks to get everything in place.

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Solid Waste Supervisor City of Santa Cruz
any advancement on your awesome system? i am looking into getting something like this . Thanks.

Sponsored

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Also, some screenshots from Instagram of their method of attachment (no rails on the top of the bed, looks like they used the OEM connectors for the Rivian crossbar
[/QUOTE]

On the SEMA video they did say the were using the Rivian mounting portals, somehow. Very expensive racks, BTW.
Sponsored