Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

View attachment 17251
This image is from a Barron’s article (link) and shows doors coming down the line with all 3 interiors. OC/Midnight, FE/White, BM/Red. No date on the photo so who knows if this means anything in terms of production, but found it interesting.

Rivian R1T R1S Had call with Rivian Guide, delay on Ocean Coast interior IMG_4130
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

JohnVL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Project Manager
Having set up a manufacturing facility none of this surprises me. Building cars at volume is incredibly difficult.
It is also impossible to give an answer if you have one bad supplier.
For example it is likely the plastic injection molding does for the vents were made out of aluminum for the prototypes. The plan was likely to run as many parts as possible until the dies failed.
Hardened steel dies take up to six months to make. So if one die for one cover in OC cracked very early they would be stuck waiting for the steel die to finish.
Because of the different heat transfer properties of the steel and aluminum they aren't identical. They have to be changed to account for it.

What they are doing is hard. It will take time. Expect to add 6-9 months to any date they give you. When they beat it you will be pleased.

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

View attachment 17251
This image is from a Barron’s article (link) and shows doors coming down the line with all 3 interiors. OC/Midnight, FE/White, BM/Red. No date on the photo so who knows if this means anything in terms of production, but found it interesting.

Same picture appeared in December 2021 in an article by Atlanta news agency.
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/rivian-to-build-electric-truck-plant-in-metro-atlanta

That means this was probably from their initial prototype builds. I wish it were for current line as i turned down going to BM in lieu of keeping my Ocean Coast prior to the forum post stating someone was told 6 months until OC available. I've avoided going to my guide to ask what gives on the information difference given on timing of OC because i"m afraid of what i may hear! Still going to stick to OC, but hoping it's not as long as the post stated of 6+ months or more.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Maybe they’re going in order based on personality or CS contact experience… jk!
This is way out of line. Great message ... 'I'll be mean to those that I deem to be unkind.'

For those not drinking the Rivian Kool-Aid ... Senior Management is putting Customer Service in harm's way and THEY can use them as a buffer against providing candid and open communication. If you have any doubt, listen to the last Investor Call full of double-talk and non-answer answers. Part of the problem lies at the top.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

You may be content with being silent. I am not.
Long time lurker, literally just registered today to say "Dude. Let it go". As someone who's worked in customer service positions for decades, we don't make enough to put up with this kind of cr**. Try doing their job and have some empathy.

In the meantime, enjoy being pushed to the bottom of the queue for any future requests. ??

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
1: I have worked their job.
2: Their pay is not my problem.
3: Nobody is pushing me anywhere. You should know, since you worked in customer service for so long, that simply isn't how it works.
4: Please indicate to me how talking to CS 1 time about a complaint I have requires me to "Let it go". Especially ironic given that you're here doing to me what I did to them. Let it go.

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Sent an email to my Guide about this thread. Got a call from him today and am keeping the Black Mountain interior as I am told I should have by truck the first week of April. My guide said if I keep the Ocean Coast there is no time guarantee right now. If the Rivian really is that awesome of a truck I figure it will just get better over the years.

For the future solid state batteries will be a huge upgrade! So 2, 3, 5 years from now when that technology becomes more mainstream maybe I will put in for another Rivian with more range. If I could get 600 miles without stopping that would be killer! Could go just about anywhere in the south west of the US without having to charge. Don't get me wrong 300 miles is pretty good by todays standards but you end up with a 7,200 pound truck!

Then I can get my Ocean Coast!

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I am a 12/11/18 R1S LE reservation and had a chat today confirming delivery during my Mar/Apr window with White/OC combo.
If this happens I'll be shocked. Esp with the OC interior. I hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. If they start delivering OC in April after a bunch of folks decided to switch only to get their trucks a few weeks earlier with black mountain - woooooah boy.

Reactions: Rad

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
I am a 12/11/18 R1S LE reservation and had a chat today confirming delivery during my Mar/Apr window with White/OC combo.
Same here. CS told me today that "we’re on track for the March-April delivery timing". 2018 R1S LE, Rivian Blue, Ocean Coast, 20" bright wheels. I haven't heard from a guide though.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

If this happens I'll be shocked. Esp with the OC interior. I hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. If they start delivering OC in April after a bunch of folks decided to switch only to get their trucks a few weeks earlier with black mountain - woooooah boy.
Why? All but one guide contact has said keeping OC would keep you in your delivery window, just later in the window.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Why? All but one guide contact has said keeping OC would keep you in your delivery window, just later in the window.
Hmm - I'm going to go back and reread because the most common thing i hear is "if you switch you will get your truck ASAP, if you keep OC we're not sure when you'll get it".

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Same here. CS told me today that "we’re on track for the March-April delivery timing". 2018 R1S LE, Rivian Blue, Ocean Coast, 20" bright wheels. I haven't heard from a guide though.
I don’t want to be a party pooper, but this is what CS always says…

MikeM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Executive/Retired
First Mile Update: Had my First Mile Drive on Thursday, March 24. The Field Rep who brought it to me was very knowledgeable about the R1T and Rivian and answered my questions in a very patient and thorough manner. I had only driven one EV prior to the Rivian so she had to teach me all about how to operate the R1T. It was a great experience and even my wife was impressed - and she had been a doubter for quite some time. I was very surpised, however, when the Rivian Field Rep told me she had seen my configuration for a Launch Edition with 20' tires and BLACK MOUNTAIN interior. Launch Edition, check. 20" Wheels, check. Black Mountain interior - NO. I had Ocean Coast in my configuration so when she left I checked my configuration on line and it showed Black Mountain. So I called my Guide and left a message for him to call me and explained that I was calling because he had offered me the Black Mountain on March 17 but I had kept the Ocean Coast, so I was surprised to see the change. His greeting said he would call back within one business day and he did. When I answered the call he told me immediately that my configuration had been changed in error (he did not know how or why) and that he had changed it back to Ocean Coast. He also told me the change to BM and back to OC would not affect my July-September delivery window but that he had no other information on the timing of delivery. I am satifsfied with my experience with the Guide and the fact he corrected the error before he called me. I had just checked on line before he called and the OC interior was back in my configuration. I am concerned there was an error but Rivian is a start up and no matter how much you test systems prior to implementation, until you are live "in combat" you really do not know how they will behave. So far, they have fixed the only error I have encountered and have done so quickly.

The one piece of additional good news I picked up during the FIrst Mile Drive was that Rivian had 1,700 First Mile Drives scheduled in Atlanta - not in all of Georgia but just in Atlanta. I know other locations likely have more pre-orders but I was pleased to hear that number. A good sign that Rivian is making inroads across the country.

Still hopeful for July-September delivery in Atlanta. I will post updates as I am informed of developments.
Sponsored