Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If you are playing music using Spotify, it likely has nothing to do with the FOB. Spotify will "jump" between which device is playing (your Rivian and headphones/phone) when you are close enough to the Rivian. I've experienced the same thing and It is pretty annoying.
My experience is different.

I am logged into my truck's spotify app. I go mountain biking and am listening to spotify through my head phones. My wife goes to mow the grass and walks past the truck which she also has a login with her phone (but not spotify). Every time she walks by the truck it wakes the truck and the spotify app on the truck steals my session while I'm biking.. So I hit play again from my phone and have spotify working again until she passes the truck again..

I think the latest update is supposed to have fixed this, but we don't need to mow the grass lately... :)

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A

I am logged into my truck's spotify app. I go mountain biking and am listening to spotify through my head phones. My wife goes to mow the grass and walks past the truck which she also has a login with her phone (but not spotify). Every time she walks by the truck it wakes the truck and the spotify app on the truck steals my session while I'm biking.. So I hit play again from my phone and have spotify working again until she passes the truck again..

I think the latest update is supposed to have fixed this, but we don't need to mow the grass lately... :)
This is exactly what happens to me. The truck ALWAYS takes precedence with Spotify when it wakes regardless of what is being listened to or where. It's really annoying, actually.

I've also been experiencing issues where even after the truck locks and all the infotainment screens turn off, it's still playing music.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
. How often are cars being stolen or broken into with this security “hole”? Seems like a non issue for 99.9% of people.
This is a huge issue, relay attacks have been commonplace for a decade now.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

The flipper can't do much even to traditional cars (sub-ghz fobs) without flashing a custom (and illegal) firmware. It's nice that the Rivian is resistant to some of this stuff, but there's a much larger attack surface given the OTA update and always-on internet vectors. *shrug*

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The flipper can't do much even to traditional cars (sub-ghz fobs) without flashing a custom (and illegal) firmware. It's nice that the Rivian is resistant to some of this stuff, but there's a much larger attack surface given the OTA update and always-on internet vectors. *shrug*
One would hope that an R1 doesn't accept any inbound connections from the internet. In theory, it should only initiate connections to the internet and pull OTA updates, push telemetry to Rivian, etc.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

One would hope that an R1 doesn't accept any inbound connections from the internet. In theory, it should only initiate connections to the internet and pull OTA updates, push telemetry to Rivian, etc.
One would hope a lot of things about IoT infrastructure. Rivian is doubtless better than most (google "internet of shit"), but existing on the public internet as these seem to just comes with a ton of risks. Just the other day we had this, for instance.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
One would hope a lot of things about IoT infrastructure. Rivian is doubtless better than most (google "internet of shit"), but existing on the public internet as these seem to just comes with a ton of risks. Just the other day we had this, for instance.
of course. anything you can control from the Rivian app (and perhaps some things we don't know about yet) are all subject to being hacked. and if someone can hack the Rivian servers, that opens the door to all nature of other problems.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4

Wait a minute. Who's mowing the grass while you go mountain biking? I do my fair share of mountain biking and I'd like to develop a similar "spotify" problem!?! Please advise.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wait a minute. Who's mowing the grass while you go mountain biking? I do my fair share of mountain biking and I'd like to develop a similar "spotify" problem!?! Please advise.
I was waiting for someone to pick up on that! :)

Sponsored

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
So if someone steals my phone then steals my truck, what the F am I suppose to do? I thought about this and really that is not totally unrealistic from happening.

I assume I would find another phone, call Rivian, prove who I am who I am and tell them my truck is stolen. Then call the police. Pretty easy to track down a R1T though, not a lot of them around... YET!

If a vulnerability is found with the Bluetooth, I am sure the truck side firmware can be upgraded, wonder if the key fob can be without a dealer visit.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

If you are playing music using Spotify, it likely has nothing to do with the FOB. Spotify will "jump" between which device is playing (your Rivian and headphones/phone) when you are close enough to the Rivian. I've experienced the same thing and It is pretty annoying.
this is my experience
Sponsored