Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Dumb question: If I just have the shop put the tires on stock rims do i need to worry about TPMS or is that only a concern if you get a second set of rims to mount the tires on?
Sponsored

OP
OP

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Dumb question: If I just have the shop put the tires on stock rims do i need to worry about TPMS or is that only a concern if you get a second set of rims to mount the tires on?
You do not have to worry about the TPMS if reusing your stock wheels (unless they break them).

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
I feel like Rivian could be legally culpable for this...There have been many folks having issue w/ the weight, regen, and ability to throttle/coast. This was talked about **last winter**...yet they have sand mode? Drift mode? Someone gets killed before the update w/ a sensible snow mode (and I hope not) I think Rivian is fully liable...They have chosen not to fix this and who knows why...

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I feel like Rivian could be legally culpable for this...There have been many folks having issue w/ the weight, regen, and ability to throttle/coast. This was talked about **last winter**...yet they have sand mode? Drift mode? Someone gets killed before the update w/ a sensible snow mode (and I hope not) I think Rivian is fully liable...They have chosen not to fix this and who knows why...
I think the only thing you could really point to at the point of liability is the complete failure of ABS at low speeds. You can't sell a car in the US without ABS right now and I assume that to mean the ABS has to actually work. Having to press the accelerator to unlock your wheels is a ridiculous workaround that's going to catch someone out.

The car being heavy or the tire being bad seems like more of a case that you as a thinking human chose a heavy vehicle and that's kinda on you. Knowing the conditions you drive in you could choose something else there's no legally mandated tire selection or weight limit.

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
That is exactly what two R1T drivers mention this weekend in Tahoe - they were losing traction monkeying around with Regen and then having to throttle up get traction back. Both these guys have been driving in Tahoe for at least 2 decades. Hopefully the update fixes this because it is plainly unsafe and someone is going to get hurt.

I think the only thing you could really point to at the point of liability is the complete failure of ABS at low speeds. You can't sell a car in the US without ABS right now and I assume that to mean the ABS has to actually work. Having to press the accelerator to unlock your wheels is a ridiculous workaround that's going to catch someone out.

The car being heavy or the tire being bad seems like more of a case that you as a thinking human chose a heavy vehicle and that's kinda on you. Knowing the conditions you drive in you could choose something else there's no legally mandated tire selection or weight limit.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Have taken this turn out of my driveway for 10 years with a Tundra, Tacoma, Xterra, WRX STI and am used to it. The Rivian, even with feathering the throttle just kept sliding. The tree was the only thing stopping it from going over the edge. Unfortunately now my hood has a nice dent in it. Had a hand winch to a tree and tensioned it, was able to back the truck up. It wouldn't let me go into offroad mode as the ground wasn't flat enough (odd since if you get stuck while in all purpose...you can't get into better modes for extraction.)

20221209_084856.jpg
20221209_085018.jpg
20221209_092457.jpg
20221209_091805.jpg
You are obviously North or West of Milwaukee but I plan on heading to Miller Park (AmFAM) once we get a big dump to get a bunch of practice with the Rivian on handling characteristics and you post reinforced this plan for me.

Good news for me I am transitioning from an E39 M5 which was worse than dangerous in poor weather so I am very cautious (not confident) in all bad weather conditions.

Glad it wasn't worse but I I know I would be super annoyed with even your little dent.

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Though I am sure snow mode will help, have to say tires are the bigger issue. Had some snow a while back and drove on the 20"AT on the white stuff. Truck was sliding at slow speed going around corners, put regen on normal and still had to play a lot slowing down. Decided to install Nokian LT3 tires on the truck and try again. Just had a few inches again here in CO and what a difference. I am using regen on high again, can take off quicker and pass with no feeling of slippage.

Obviously they have their limits, but night and day difference using these tires. I have a set of KO2's on my Ram, Rivian can take off and brake much better than my BFG's even with the extra mass it hauls around. Not the cheapest tires, for a set at Discount Tire installed for $1400. Would assume they will perorm that much better when snow mode drops this month. Put a set on my daughters WRX, her classmate with same car on factory tires slid into a curb and the back end of a car entering their school 3 cars behind her in 5mph traffic. Always felt better buying tires than paying deductible on insurance.

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Not that you had a lot of time to react, but you can throw it in reverse if you're moving slow enough. I love how quickly my R1T goes back and forth between D and R when maneuvering.

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Decided to install Nokian LT3 tires on the truck and try again.
How do the Nokian LT3 tires ride? My shop said that light truck tires would be very harsh and I'd feel every bump. I bought them anyway and I'm getting them mounted tomorrow so I'll guess I'll find out one way or the other!

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
How do the Nokian LT3 tires ride? My shop said that light truck tires would be very harsh and I'd feel every bump. I bought them anyway and I'm getting them mounted tomorrow so I'll guess I'll find out one way or the other!
I just had them put on today. Haven't driven enough to give a detailed report but they didn't feel any harsher on first drive than the Pirelli's. We'll see on my way home tonight when I hit some roads with uneven pavement. They are certainly a little louder than the Pirelli's but it's more of a different sound, if that makes sense. Maybe not much louder but higher pitched.

Sponsored

achanster

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450H
Occupation
VP
I live in Boulder Colorado and have an active winter sports family. R1T came with the 21”s.
Picked up the EV Sportline wheel set in gloss black:
Precision Forged R500 Directional Aero Wheel
Wheel Size: 20x9
Wheel Offset: +38mm
PCD: 5x5.5"
Lug Bolt: 14mm x 1.5mm [22mm socket]
Lug Bolt Torque Spec: 140 ft-lbs / 190 Nm
Centerbore: 64.1 mm
Weight: ~ 35 lbs
Price: Starting at $5,800
Load Rating:
1,125 kg/2,475 lbs

Then added the nokian happa LT3’s
LT265/60 R 20 121/118Q
max load 3200 lb, up to 100 mph

Trip notes:
first trip from Boulder up to Copper mountain and back with 2 days of small trips in the middle and was able to do on one 100% charge. Total trip 206 miles. Returned with 19% charge remaining. Temp low near zero high near 25. Elevation gain about 4700’. Rode mainly in conserve mode. Skis and board on rack over bed. Was fairly windy most of trip.

Handling notes:
Tires seemed quiet. No noticeable difference over the street 21”s. Acceleration has big difference. Don’t get that balls to the wall launch feeling. On hard pack gripped like a champ, noticeably better than 21”s. Did not get into deep snow or ice yet.

so far so good. Pricey but hey… only live once and I feel this combo wheel/tire may prevent an accident.

Picture notes:
Shows 1 on sport mode, 3 in all purpose, 1 in highest off road setting.

DECED9ED-1DB1-4430-81BF-CF9A92207906.jpeg

D83E0358-348C-48DA-9B7C-DB8441539F06.jpeg

907E4F22-76FC-4AE4-AE48-30828E4C2EA9.jpeg

E98B28AC-9690-4E6B-A38B-729191F2DFAF.jpeg

3943434B-6944-4C0F-BCAF-6E5F94C1EA9D.jpeg
Rivian R1T R1S Guess I need some snow tires... my R1T hood now has a nice dent (on factory 20" A/T) IMG_5457

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
I just had them put on today. Haven't driven enough to give a detailed report but they didn't feel any harsher on first drive than the Pirelli's. We'll see on my way home tonight when I hit some roads with uneven pavement. They are certainly a little louder than the Pirelli's but it's more of a different sound, if that makes sense. Maybe not much louder but higher pitched.
Got my LT3s mounted yesterday. Definitely louder and harsher than the Pirellis. Which are now for sale.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That is exactly what two R1T drivers mention this weekend in Tahoe - they were losing traction monkeying around with Regen and then having to throttle up get traction back. Both these guys have been driving in Tahoe for at least 2 decades. Hopefully the update fixes this because it is plainly unsafe and someone is going to get hurt.
Please report this to the NHTSA here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I've been driving in northern WI for 3 weeks now with the R1T and the AT tires. The truck drives great in the snow, on snow packed or loose snow roads.

Yes the regen breaking requires you to reverse your brain on how to manipulate the vehicle, but it isn't much different than adjusting to single pedal driving in the first place.

On snow packed roads in all purpose i was not able to get the truck to slide at all doing 0-40 then pulling off the pedal for full regen (high regen setting).

I don't really see any difference between the R1T and my old Ram 4x4. I guess the only difference is the R1T did much better in fresh snow. Had to climb (decent incline) the driveway after 8" of snow and I couldn't even tell that there was snow on the ground. The ram would slide a bit going up snow like that.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jac