Sponsored

BendR1S

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
Last night was super-slippery here in Bend. I spent some time experimenting, driving around slowly on hilly side streets. Coming to a stop using regen was uncontrollable. The wheels locked up so the vehicle couldn't be steered and the whole vehicle would slide depending on the camber of the road. Adding some power to defeat the regen helped bring the vehicle back under control but I found putting it in neutral and modulating the brakes was much better. I wish there was a way to turn regen off. We'll see what 'snow mode' brings. (20" A/Ts)
It *was* slippery here yesterday, but our trusty Subaru Outback (on snow tires) handled it like a champ! I have never driven an R1T, but hope to get one early 2023 and it will replace the Subaru. Will def get winter tires for it. My M3 Tesla does well in the snow and the regen is strong but has never caused the car to slip for me.

(Also, assuming your profile pic is your R1T and there's only 1 blue R1T in Bend: Thanks for showing my son and I your R1T a few months ago at the Box Factory. We are excited!)
Sponsored

LCN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX460
I’m getting more and more worried about this and I really hope Rivian addresses it. My R1S is scheduled for summer ‘23, so I’ll have some time before next winter, but I’m almost fully committed to figuring out some snow tire situation.
I should be getting my R1S in Jan/Feb. Right in the middle of ski season... Once I got notification that I'll 'soon' be assigned a VIN, I bought Nokian Hakka R5 SUV tires - currently sitting in my garage as I eagerly await the delivery (which I've waited now since Oct31st for an update on...)

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Great video. Looks like a winter wonderland!!!

Sponsored

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Have taken this turn out of my driveway for 10 years with a Tundra, Tacoma, Xterra, WRX STI and am used to it. The Rivian, even with feathering the throttle just kept sliding. The tree was the only thing stopping it from going over the edge. Unfortunately now my hood has a nice dent in it. Had a hand winch to a tree and tensioned it, was able to back the truck up. It wouldn't let me go into offroad mode as the ground wasn't flat enough (odd since if you get stuck while in all purpose...you can't get into better modes for extraction.)

20221209_084856.jpg
20221209_085018.jpg
20221209_092457.jpg
20221209_091805.jpg
We are not looking forward to snow
If it’s as bad as anything worse than packed gravel
Those scorpion tires are great on the roads - quiet and they handle well
The tire store agreed those are not suited for slippery conditions

Rivian R1T R1S Guess I need some snow tires... my R1T hood now has a nice dent (on factory 20" A/T) 79A2DF61-B481-4775-8628-A0B659AB7781

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

That pretty much convinces me I’m going to be buying a set of Nokians to switch onto during winters in Connecticut. Three peak ATs are not the same as dedicated snows.
Well, good luck finding them. I called Discount Tire todays and they’re making the 21s out of unobtanium for the foreseeable future. Plus the DT rep tried to seriously talk me out of the 21s or the 20s (assuming Rivian will ever agree to sell me a set of wheels) due to the load index of the Nokians being <116. I insisted that I wouldn’t be hauling cargo in the winter, but he made what seemed like a good point…his claim was taking a winter pot hole on lower profile/lower load index tires could lead to a blowout that a higher index tire might survive.
There’s another thread here with someone that went with Hankook iPike RW11s with a 126 load rating (10-ply tire)…

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Well, good luck finding them. I called Discount Tire todays and they’re making the 21s out of unobtanium for the foreseeable future. Plus the DT rep tried to seriously talk me out of the 21s or the 20s (assuming Rivian will ever agree to sell me a set of wheels) due to the load index of the Nokians being <116. I insisted that I wouldn’t be hauling cargo in the winter, but he made what seemed like a good point…his claim was taking a winter pot hole on lower profile/lower load index tires could lead to a blowout that a higher index tire might survive.
There’s another thread here with someone that went with Hankook iPike RW11s with a 126 load rating (10-ply tire)…
Unfortunately, I have about another year for my R1S to be delivered which should give me enough time to find a set for next winter. It’s my understanding the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 has a 3748 lb. load rating in the 275/65 20 126Q E1 size.

As you know, the stock Pirelli AT tires have a 116 load rating for 2,756 lbs per tire. I believe the stock tires have an even higher top speed rating than the snow tires, but I don’t ever drive close to 100 mph.

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

. It’s my understanding the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 has a 3748 lb. load rating in the 275/65 20 126Q E1 size.
My bad, I a**umed you were after the R5s.

Sponsored

sgec

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It *was* slippery here yesterday, but our trusty Subaru Outback (on snow tires) handled it like a champ! I have never driven an R1T, but hope to get one early 2023 and it will replace the Subaru. Will def get winter tires for it. My M3 Tesla does well in the snow and the regen is strong but has never caused the car to slip for me.

(Also, assuming your profile pic is your R1T and there's only 1 blue R1T in Bend: Thanks for showing my son and I your R1T a few months ago at the Box Factory. We are excited!)
It wasn't me! I've seen at least one other blue Rivian in town. Mine might be the only one with the Ocean Coast interior though.

sgec

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Feels like the traction logic programming. Next time I'll kick it into neutral down the hill.
Did you try it in neutral? That is what works for me. We have a steep driveway (shorter than yours) and I put in in neutral and use the brakes to back down. Easier to control than feathering the 'throttle'. The first time I attempted to back down the driveway when it was slippery I let completely off the accelerator it was like the front wheels locked up and the whole truck started sliding sideways. I gunned it to straighten it out but it was a scary moment.

Last edited:

GoBuffs!

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Mercedes GLS
Occupation
Pharmacist
Sorry to hear that happened to you and thanks for posting. Hopefully the new update will help solve some of these issues. I'm still waiting on my R1S and have the 22s assigned to them. Does anyone know if Nokian has dedicated snow tires for it?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sorry to hear that happened to you and thanks for posting. Hopefully the new update will help solve some of these issues. I'm still waiting on my R1S and have the 22s assigned to them. Does anyone know if Nokian has dedicated snow tires for it?
Another forum member @Dark-Fx was able to get a set of 22" Nokian Hakka R5's. So far no luck with the 20's.

Prime Time for some snow tires, snow mode and Buff's football.

Rivian R1T R1S Guess I need some snow tires... my R1T hood now has a nice dent (on factory 20" A/T) prime time buff

BendR1S

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
It wasn't me! I've seen at least one other blue Rivian in town. Mine might be the only one with the Ocean Coast interior though.
Well, if we do see you around, we definitely want to see the OC interior! Congrats on the awesome truck, I hope to join the club soon (actually switched from R1S to R1T, tired of waiting. Feb 21 pre-order).
Sponsored