Sponsored

Got Rear ended and asking for insurance advice

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
your insurance is your advocate go through it. I would have filed a police report as if the person was cited it makes the insurance easier to deal with.

I would worry a lot less about increases to future rates and what the hell carfax (notoriously inaccurate anyway) says than about being made whole (repairs plus diminished value). I really hate it when people waste a dollar trying to pick up a nickle.

the 3 Rivian certified shops I got estimates from are really backed-up. I am still waiting to get my S in (should be next week) 2 months after an accident. If you have multiple shops in your area I recommend getting estimates from more than one so you can visit them as check them out. One of the ones I got an estimate from was pretty uninterested in my job because it wasn't a high dollar repair.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ORFynder

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
your insurance is your advocate go through it. I would have filed a police report as if the person was cited it makes the insurance easier to deal with.

I would worry a lot less about increases to future rates and what the hell carfax (notoriously inaccurate anyway) says than about being made whole (repairs plus diminished value). I really hate it when people waste a dollar trying to pick up a nickle.

the 3 Rivian certified shops I got estimates from are really backed-up. I am still waiting to get my S in (should be next week) 2 months after an accident. If you have multiple shops in your area I recommend getting estimates from more than one so you can visit them as check them out. One of the ones I got an estimate from was pretty uninterested in my job because it wasn't a high dollar repair.
Thanks for the input. I only have 1 certified rivian shop in the state of Oregon. The driver’s insurance already stated that it’s their drivers fault and I do have a video of her admitting to her liability. As for the police report. I have 72 hrs to file it

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
Unfortunately we live in a society where Lawyers have lots of power. And everyone hates Lawyers until they need one. I'm fortunate because I have a best friend who happens to be a high powered Plaintiff's attorney. Several years ago I was involved in an accident where I was rear ended. The insurance company representing the driver who hit me offered me about 60% of what it was going to cost to fix my car. I tried to negotiate with them but got nowhere, even after I threatened to call a lawyer they just ignored me. They refused to budge on their settlement price. My insurance company offered no help in getting me fair value for my damage. I don't like asking my friend for help in these matters but eventually I called him. He made a phone call, wrote a letter, and 3 days later I had a check for 3 times the amount they originally offered. That amount covered all my repair expenses plus a small amount for all the hours I spent dealing with the situation, and there were many hours. Your situation did not involve injury, and neither did mine, so not many lawyers will wan't to help. But if you have a friend or can find a reputable firm who does this kind of work, it might be to your advantage to call them and offer to pay them to make a call or write a letter. Most firms that do this kind of work don't like insurance companies and how they try to take advantage of us, the little guy paying high premiums and getting stiffed when asking for fair compensation. Think about it, if an insurance company can reduce their payouts by 1000 dollars or more a claim and if that savings is multiplied by 100,000 claims or more a year, the savings for them becomes significant. For us, we just get mad and loose money paying for proper repairs and lost resale value. If you feel like you are being cheated It might be to your advantage to pay a few hundred dollars to involve a legal firm.

jekadad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 1972 MGB, Mercedes E350, Ford p/u
Occupation
Retired
Will do. In OR, we have 6 ye

thanks. Assume I would need to pay out of pocket to get the repairs done prior to asking for the diminished value? Assume Geico will want me to sign an agreement to authorize repairs and I should not sign that until we agree on diminished value? Is that how you see it? Thank you!
I would suggest a firm like Collision Safety Consultants. There are Many other good firms, such as this company out there. I don’t give direct recommendations because on the right day the worst shop/Attorney/firm out there can do the best work you’ve ever seen and the best shop/Attorney/firm out there can do the worst work you’ve ever seen. I will tell you a friend of mine just use them and had good success. They appear to be good to work with and their fee schedule is clearly posted on their website. Check it out. May not work for you. http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com/

OP
OP
ORFynder

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Thanks all for your advice on insurance. Geico has approved all the work to be done at a Rivian Certified Bodyshop.
Sponsored