Sponsored

Got a call from Rivian support tonight

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Got a call from support this evening. Showed as Rivian Vehicle.
they wanted to see how things were, checking to see if had received NFC band, satisfied with truck, etc.
Just checked in my UniFi gear and the truck is uploading gigs right now - about 17 and counting
Related? Who knows!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Had the same call. Truck said "Unknown" so I declined it twice, (also my son wasn't happy about being in the car at that moment so I wouldn't have been able to have a conversation).

Don't see my truck on my wifi though.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just checked in my UniFi gear and the truck is uploading gigs right now - about 17 and counting
Yikes! Over what period of time?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ Did you order up a movie? ?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Does the truck allow you to note a metered connection? If it tried that at my Inlaws they could get a pretty decent bill from the ISP.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Does the truck allow you to note a metered connection? If it tried that at my Inlaws they could get a pretty decent bill from the ISP.
If Rivian is sending that much data I will disallow or severely restrict uploads on my home wifi. They don’t need that data.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
If Rivian is sending that much data I will disallow or severely restrict uploads on my home wifi. They don’t need that data.
Teslas send out tons of data like this. The vast majority of it is telemetry, processed visual modeling and related stuff for their FSD neural net system to learn from. Any user data they would actually collect would be very small. This all happens with the cars, regardless of whether or not you have or use their AP / FSD. I'm figuring that Rivian is doing the same for Driver+ and future development on that system.

I had crappy internet at my place until very recently and I had to only allow the Teslas to connect at night and then restrict the up/down bandwidth. The Model Y uploads a LOT more data than our 2016 X did. All those cameras and FSD make a big difference. With the slow internet at the time when COVID shutdowns happened, we learned the hard way that if I was working from home and our two kids (both high school at the time) were doing classes at home, then my wife would return from somewhere with the Tesla, it would connect and start uploading and choke our internet to a halt. It was like initiating a DDOS attack on ourselves. We promptly went to a select list of devices that our router would let through during school/work hours and each were capped on bandwidth. Thankfully we have gigabit in the neighborhood now...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Likely over the last few hours at the rate it is going. Up to About 21 now and still going
If your UniFi gear is anything like mine (UDM Pro, U6-LR AP x2) then those numbers are NEVER accurate. It tells me my washing machine is uploading over 100 GB per day on some screens and only 5 MB on others. And it currently tells me that my truck has uploaded 49.5 GB today, but then tells me the 24-hour usage is only 2.64 GB...
Rivian R1T R1S Got a call from Rivian support tonight 1648704825367

Rivian R1T R1S Got a call from Rivian support tonight 1648704716421

No, not yet.

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

If your UniFi gear is anything like mine (UDM Pro, U6-LR AP x2) then those numbers are NEVER accurate. It tells me my washing machine is uploading over 100 GB per day on some screens and only 5 MB on others. And it currently tells me that my truck has uploaded 49.5 GB today, but then tells me the 24-hour usage is only 2.64 GB...
1648704825367.png

1648704716421.png

No, not yet.
looks like it went through a little over 50 gigs. I have had some issues where reporting on my gear gets off, but I matched the upload usage to myATT data by day from the 30th and 31st. Upload massively increased to match
Sponsored