First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Did the new 2023.2.3 update yesterday and drove to LA and back to SD today. Got 2.69mi/kWh, I think the best I have ever gotten as I "hyper milled" the truck driving at or below the speed limit most of the way to see what it would get. They also fixed the total energy be reported incorrectly.

I left home with 100% charge and got home with 19% and 73 miles of range. Based on some rough calculations I believe Rivian is letting us use 125kWh of the battery pack with the new update.

Rivian R1T R1S Got 2.69 mi/kWh efficiency after 2023.2.3 software update 1676705110131
Sponsored

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
That is crazy impressive! Assuming you’re on 21’s?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Was there a tail wind that day?

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Yes on 21s, mid 60s weather, was intentionally driving very carefully following slow trucks etc. I don't normally drive like that but wanted to see what I could do.

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What is a California car?
It's a pejorative applied to cars which work very well in California, but don't work well in many other areas of the world. This is because the designers of the car live and work in California, and don't regularly have to use the car in cold temperatures, snow, ice, with frozen door handles, with winter tires, rain, potholes, road salt, high mountain passes, extreme heat, wind, mile high altitudes, etc. "Works for me!" Formerly applied only to Teslas.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It's a pejorative applied to cars which work very well in California, but don't work well in many other areas of the world. This is because the designers of the car live and work in California, and for the most part aren't exposed to cold temperatures, snow, ice, rain, potholes, road salt, extreme heat, etc. "Works for me!" Formerly applied only to Teslas.
Hmmmm so you are saying Rivians don’t work in other states besides California? Many on this forum might disagree.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hmmmm so you are saying Rivians don’t work in other states besides California? Many on this forum might disagree.
I'm sure the car works to some degree. But if the designers lived in the Canadian winter, for example, the car would have a heat pump option, the door handles wouldn't freeze, the headlights would have washers, the hood/windshield interface would de-ice better, the software would support scheduled cabin pre-conditioning, the car would draw HVAC power from the wall when plugged in, the cameras would actually have a coating or hood to keep rain spots off, regen wouldn't overload on high mountain passes, etc.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wow, that's amazing! My takeaway is that Rivians are California cars. I would really like a heat pump in the next version.
i can't get above 1.89 on my truck with 21's in Los Angeles and i will complain about it on every thread possible. ;)

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'm sure the car works to some degree. But if the designers lived in the Canadian winter, for example, the car would have a heat pump option, the door handles wouldn't freeze, the headlights would have washers, the hood would de-ice better, the software would support scheduled cabin pre-conditioning, the car would draw HVAC power from the wall when plugged in, the cameras would actually have a coating or hood to keep rain spots off, etc.
So what EV is not a California car then?

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So what EV is not a California car then?
Good question. The Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 has most of the cold weather features, including a heat pump and headlight washers—at least in the highest end trim package. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work very well in California. We can't have it all. ;-)

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Nice that they fixed the energy computation and gave us 15 more miles in All Purpose (21" wheels)

Not nice that about 4kWh of that energy is overnight vampire drain (30F) ..I can easily do 2.1mi/kwh otherwise

Rivian R1T R1S Got 2.69 mi/kWh efficiency after 2023.2.3 software update IMG_7613

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Good question. The Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 has most of the cold weather features, including a heat pump and headlight washers—at least in the highest end trim package. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work very well in California. We can't have it all. ;-)
Yeah I think all EVs will work in cold weather. Millions of cars don’t have headlight wipers and door handles can freeze in any car including ICE cars.
Sponsored