Sponsored

Good Forbes Article on Rivian - production number estimates and vehicle servicing mentioned

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Clickbait title, but a good article on Rivian.

My two key takeaways are:
1) Production estimates - 20K in 2021, & 40K in 2022
2) Cox partnership providing a much larger service capability than Tesla

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckt...illion-war-chest-and-tesla-in-his-headlights/

The company expects to deliver an ambitious 20,000 units (combined truck and SUV) in 2021 and 40,000 in 2022, which could translate to approximately $1.4 billion and $2.8 billion, respectively, if all goes according to plan. By comparison, Tesla sold 25,000 units of the Model X in 2016, its first full year of release.

Beyond its first two releases, Scaringe says there will be three more vehicles in the Rivian portfolio by 2024. Though he is cautious about providing details, Scaringe admits that one will be smaller in size and all will be considerably lower in price. It’s a strategy akin to what Land Rover does with its Defender and top-of-the-line Range Rovers—i.e., the same base model with fewer amenities. And if Scaringe can truly keep the price below $50,000, it will cause far worse headaches for Musk than a broken shatterproof window on his Franken-vehicle, the Cybertruck.
But it’s the Cox partnership that could prove the most troubling for Musk. While Tesla has more than 100 service centers in 30 states, Cox handled more than 55 million service appointments in 2019 at its sprawling network of commercial and dealer partner service centers across the United States. If something goes wrong with an R1T or R1S, the idea, presumably, is that a customer will be able to take the vehicle to a Cox service center like Pivet to have it repaired correctly and in a timely fashion, something that Tesla has struggled with since its inception.

Cox is also playing the long game with Rivian—as more vehicles come to market, it wants to control secondary sales. “My hope is with the skills that we have,” says Cox president Sandy Schwartz, “and with all the things that we’re learning, that we’ll be the chief wholesale remarketer for all Rivians someday.”
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
RJ on the cover of Forbes — not a bad look. Not bad at all. The article also has a nice video embedded. Similar to the 'Adventurous Forever' video series Rivian rolled out last week.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RJ on the cover of Forbes — not a bad look. Not bad at all. The article also has a nice video embedded.
I didn't catch either of those things when I read the article, thanks @SpinDoc7 ! I tend to ignore a lot of the pics & videos embedded in articles, unless they're at the top.

I really liked the video! For others, it's about half way through the article.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
20k vehicles in 2021 makes me really curious as to where I'll land in the production queue.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20k vehicles in 2021 makes me really curious as to where I'll land in the production queue.
Exactly. Especially considering there will be around 3 months & up to 5K R1Ts produced before a single R1S.

Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many preorders they really have for both vehicles?

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many preorders they really have for both vehicles?
If they release numbers, there's no doubt that some attrition & refunds would occur. They are sitting on interest-free loans until then, but I'm of the opinion that honesty/transparency wins in the end.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

If they release numbers, there's no doubt that some attrition & refunds would occur. They are sitting on interest-free loans until then, but I'm of the opinion that honesty/transparency wins in the end.
I'm just really hoping that there were fewer than 20k preorders prior to Feb 1st! :fingerscrossed:

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm still not exactly sure how the Cox deal relates to operating service centers. Looking at their website, it appears they simply provide technology for auto dealers to use. I can't find any mention of actual branded service centers where I could take a Rivian. Where are the physical locations they are planning to use?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So far I have only heard Rivian speak of white glove service. They will come to you and repair at your location if possible. If not, they provide a loaner and take your vehicle somewhere else but I'm not sure there will actually be Rivian branded service centers any time soon. Still lots of unknowns on this front but expect to hear more this fall.

Sponsored

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
One of the Rivian employees that we talked with at the Mills Creek event said that Cox managed a lot of high end service centers and they would be leaning on those to gain experience. I wasn't really sure what they were talking about, but the article mentions Pivet( https://www.coxautoinc.com/brands/pivet/), which from the Cox automotive website looks like they primarily service fleet vehicles.

Given Tesla's experience in servicing EVs and having used their ranger service for the last few years, I am really happy that they seem to be focusing on mobile service. It is so much nicer than having to go and sit in a dealership drinking bad coffee...

Rivian R1T R1S Good Forbes Article on Rivian - production number estimates and vehicle servicing mentioned upload_2020-2-10_15-24-32

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's a little more on Pivet

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...obility-fleet-services-network-300777648.html

I'm sort of getting the picture here. If one has a fleet of vehicles they will set up service for it. Today the fleets seem to consist of taxis, delivery vans etc but I sort of see how this could work for Rivian.
Amazon vans will literally be a fleet. Wouldn't surprise me if a variant of the van is sold beyond Amazon too... Not to mention that all the Rivian skateboards will be very similar, making one giant "fleet".

I wonder where Rivian's second factory will be. ;) I could help bring it to TX.
Sponsored