Sponsored

GM's Mary Barra Pressed To Acknowledge Tesla, Avoids And Refuses

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
From OP comments it sounded like a Jerry Springer show so I didn't watch it. I just don't get this need as a consumer to be fed constant conflict. To me as a potential buyer, it is completely irrelevant what these people think of each other. My expectation from a reporter is to dig out as much information about GM's plan on what to expect in the future and what they are doing now to achieve it and challenge any of that information that does not sound reasonable. I admit, it is not a good look for the president to ignore a contemporary American success story but expecting Mary to make Tesla fanboys feel good about their stock purchase is just ridiculous. Tesla is no longer an under dog that needs attention. It's market cap is 14 times GM.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I don't understand all the hate on GM? Yeah they didn't have any EVs at the auto show but also GMC and Cadillac didn't have any presence. Did they want to see the Bolt EUV or whatever, probably didn't want it inside in case it caught on fire.. joking aside this reporter kind of sounds like a dick, why keep pressing? If I was the CEO of any other auto company I wouldn't give Elon credit for jack sh*t, he is kind of a d*ck from what I have seen in regards to competitors.
I hate everything about GM. I hate their terrible commercials, from the "I love it" commercial with the 30 something couple who dropped $120k on cars on a whim and lives in a $2mm house that comes back every Christmas to the "real people" Chevy commercials to the "what's that car with the giant Buick emblem on it? Oh it's a Buick?!?" Commercials.

I hate their terrible cars that they somehow manage to sell enormous numbers of in spite of being mostly awful. I hate that they do actually make one very good car and race it, but mismanage the race team.

I hate that everything GM does is catered to the lowest common denominator.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'll take you for a ride in my Hummer EV in the next two months so you can continue to hate GM.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Time to resurrect this ad campaign and tweak for the legacy auto industry:

EDIT : Here are the inspirational lyrics so you can sign along ... replace with GM as necessary

?Look for the union label
when you are buying that coat, dress or blouse.
Remember somewhere our union's sewing,
our wages going to feed the kids, and run the house.
We work hard, but who's complaining?
Thanks to the I.L.G. we're paying our way!
So always look for the union label,
it says we're able to make it in the U.S.A.!

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, there's no way to know if this is just public facing confidence to maintain appearance of strength in spite of the facts (while privately knowing full well it's BS), or if they really do think they are the leader.

If the latter, it's not a good sign of their future. If the former, fair enough everyone has their strategy and I can see how being self-deprecating probably doesn't help you sell cars. While honest, Diess at VW isn't exactly having an easy time taking the other path....

But to be fair, they aren't even #2 realistically. I'd put Ford ahead of them domestically, as well as all the Chinese companies and Volvo. In some respects Rivian, Polestar and Lucid are ahead of them as well.
Yeah the claim they have EV leadership is questionable If that is what this is about. I suspect within the next 5 years GM will have plenty of viable EVs. I would buy a yet to be announced Silverado EV before the F150 Lightning all day (as of now prefer the Rivian though) but I am not a Ford fan. You know since pretty much every Ford I have owned was trash (Ford Fairmont, Mercury Bobcat, Ford Taurus, Mercury Mystique), every single one had either just bad engineering or broke down in weird ways. For example the Mercury Mystique pushed tranny fluid out of the top vents. Will never buy one.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I hate everything about GM. I hate their terrible commercials, from the "I love it" commercial with the 30 something couple who dropped $120k on cars on a whim and lives in a $2mm house that comes back every Christmas to the "real people" Chevy commercials to the "what's that car with the giant Buick emblem on it? Oh it's a Buick?!?" Commercials.

I hate their terrible cars that they somehow manage to sell enormous numbers of in spite of being mostly awful. I hate that they do actually make one very good car and race it, but mismanage the race team.

Wow man. You got a lot of hate in your heart :). But it’s all preference I guess.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Wow man. You got a lot of hate in your heart :). But it’s all preference I guess.
So that was supposed to be mostly tongue in cheek. But the commercials are seriously terrible.

The last good commercial GM made was Bob Seger singing "Like a Rock" with a Silverado driving in the mud. It's been straight garbage across the board ever since.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
So that was supposed to be mostly tongue in cheek. But the commercials are seriously terrible.

The last good commercial GM made was Bob Seger singing "Like a Rock" with a Silverado driving in the mud. It's been straight garbage across the board ever since.
If you can't like this, you need to see an anger manager:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

If you can't like this, you need to see an anger manager:
For the money they had to pay for that commercial, its a worse investment than Nikola.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I don't understand all the hate on GM? Yeah they didn't have any EVs at the auto show but also GMC and Cadillac didn't have any presence. Did they want to see the Bolt EUV or whatever, probably didn't want it inside in case it caught on fire.. joking aside this reporter kind of sounds like a dick, why keep pressing? If I was the CEO of any other auto company I wouldn't give Elon credit for jack sh*t, he is kind of a d*ck from what I have seen in regards to competitors.
Elon was making electric cars when no one was asking for them and gas was cheap. Tesla almost went bankrupt multiple times while GM kept building 6.2L gas guzzlers. Now that they are successful, all the Boomer auto companies are playing catch-up. GM would not be "all-in" (Biden quote, not actual reality) on EV's if it were not for Tesla building the desire and market for the cars over the entire GLOBE.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

How was Bob Seger singing "Like a Rock" was a better investment?
Watch this and tell me that wasn't worth every penny:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Tesla fans have the smallest d*cks on the internet.
Come on now, since the dawn of time a Porsche has been the most effective penis extention available.

Oh wait.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

Wow. Ok. Chalk one up for the haters.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I have hated GM's marketing since this ad came out:

As I actually wanted one until I saw the price and this ad, but this one takes the cake.

We dumb Americans can't find Norway, and they show up to 'own' them in three vehicles that DO NOT EXIST.

Meanwhile, Bolts are catching on fire because they can't be bothered to make their own batteries but hey yeah they're the leader.

/Former bolt EV owner, Oldsmobile and Pontiac owner.
Sponsored