Sponsored

GMC Hummer EV teaser video - 1,000 HP and 11,500 ft lbs

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The problem there is Trump also wants to eliminate the incentives....
Which would be a mistake. Probably capitulating to oil & gas interests.

The US should continue producing oil & gas (for export!), while working to lead the world in renewable & EV tech, and encouraging as much domestic adoption as possible.

We currently have an economic advantage over other countries, and we need to lead in tech in order to maintain it.
Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Plenty of manufacturers are on board with CA's goals. There will be no responsible standard from the administration that reneged on the Paris climate accords. As to the free market stuff I'm seeing, it's not magic. You either manage the profit motive to curb abuse when necessary or your kids are sticking lead toys in their mouths and the cost of healthcare skyrockets. Competition does nothing but screw the majority of us when you don't enforce responsible behavior.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I believe that market incentive is more effective than regulation, whether it is on the supply or the demand side. Provide an economic reason for manufacturers or consumers to behave in ways that will reach your goals.

Regulation leads to bureaucracy & unnecessary overhead/costs that do not help the market.
I started driving about the time seatbelts became required. NO ONE wanted them. No one wanted to pay for them in the increased price of the car, They never would have happened without government regulations. I happen to approve of seatbelts.

Guess what? Airbags. Same thing.

I hate bureaucracy and regulations, but know what? In reality all the public wants is cheap. They would never pay for safety if it wasn't regulated.

edit: and I don't think the majority of 'the market' will buy EVs until it is proven (to them) they are the cheaper option. We here are still pioneers.

Nordic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, BMW C650 Sport
I started driving about the time seatbelts became required. NO ONE wanted them. No one wanted to pay for them in the increased price of the car, They never would have happened without government regulations. I happen to approve of seatbelts.

Guess what? Airbags. Same thing.

I hate bureaucracy and regulations, but know what? In reality all the public wants is cheap. They would never pay for safety if it wasn't regulated.

edit: and I don't think the majority of 'the market' will buy EVs until it is proven (to them) they are the cheaper option. We here are still pioneers.
Meh, Iā€™m with skyote on this. Let the consumer set the market. Too much government as it is. Consumers and manufacturers progress just fine without government intervention. Smart phones, 8K TV arenā€™t really necessary but yet we consumers have those options. Consumers demanded smaller cars in the gas crises of the 70ā€™s and the manufacturers responded.

Government regulation did however give us 56 million airbag recalls, tied manufacturers hands and probably stifled innovation of someone building a better mousetrap. There are significant consequences due to government regulations.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
I donā€™t think itā€™s black and white - youā€™ve got to have a little from Column A and a little from Column B. Yes governments are great at taking dumb ass solutions, but some regulation to enforce a certain standard is needed in some cases.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
This notion that the market solves everything is anti-capitalist because it's inherently self-destructive and unsustainable. It's a notion perpetuated by people who are already at the top and who don't want to compete anymore. The evidence that it's a lousy idea is all around us. It's like we keep slapping ourselves in the face while the rest of mixed-economy civilized world looks at us like we're nuts, because we are.

It's real simple. To keep your job, you gotta keep your boss happy. That chain works its way all the way up to your investors who insist you not just turn a profit but that you increase your profit no matter how saturated your market is. So you find ways to cut costs. If that means dumping toxic waste in our rivers or taking shortcuts that make the product less safe, the only real question for your typical despicable human being who will always value keeping their job over other people's problems, is whether they can get away with it or whether they're likely to be at that job when the consequences of their actions are ultimately discovered and the unregulated paper trail is too muddled to pinpoint who exactly, is responsible.

The paid-for political and media voices that advocate for little to no regulation, hate capitalism. Because they hate having to compete and innovate. They just want to hold on to what they've got without having to lift a finger or be accountable to anybody. Without rules, there's no game. There's just abuse.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GM dropped a new Hummer EV video today, with profile shots & teaser feature mentions at the end:

Feature mentions include:
  • Adrenaline Mode
  • Crab Mode
  • Ultium Battery
  • Super Fast Charging
  • Next Gen Super Cruise
  • Infinity Roof
  • Modular Sky Panels
  • Ultra-Vision Cameras
Reveal Fall 2020, Production Fall 2021
And LOL @ them calling it "The World's First Supertruck"

Profile shots:
Rivian R1T R1S GMC Hummer EV teaser video - 1,000 HP and 11,500 ft lbs Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 2.32.31 PM

Rivian R1T R1S GMC Hummer EV teaser video - 1,000 HP and 11,500 ft lbs Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 2.32.51 PM

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
All Gravy until you can actually produce it. The fact that we have a hard set date is promising.
Isnā€™t that what a lot of people are saying about Rivian?

Granted, there are a couple of Rivians rolling around, but GM expects these to be delivered to customers in ā€˜21.

RJ and company need to get on it, on a lot of levels, or my reservation (currently in the 50 kā€™s) will move up quickly.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Very hard to tell but it looks like it will have much better approach and departure angles than the Rivian and the CT. That would make a lot of sense given the heritage of the original Humvee. If there are no other gotchas this looks like a better fit for me than either Rivian or CT.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The real question is, how many are they planning on producing and what is the price?

SRFlorida

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150 ecoboost
Occupation
Law enforcement
I am definately waiting to see actual pricing and features of the Hummer. Later Rivian preorders might be able to get some of these other vehicles before they ever reach their place in the Rivian line.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It will be very interesting to compare specs, features, & price. I'm looking forward to the fall reveal.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I previously remember hearing that the SUV version will look a lot like the H3. I was hoping that wasnā€™t the case, but seems to be true. Curious to see the actual reveal. Also wondering if anything may have changed since the original reveal was planned for multiple months ago?

My main fear with a Hummer EV would be that GM will stick closer to their typical ā€˜cyclicā€™ updates, vs making a vehicle that can continuously be updated over the air a la Tesla. Donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever go for another new vehicle that doesnā€™t offer consistent and solid OTA updates.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have heard rumors that the super fast charging will be 350KW, which means it will likely have a 800v to 900V electrical system like the Taycan.
Sponsored