Sponsored

"GM sells Lordstown complex to electric-vehicle start-up ..."

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
No, not Rivian but new EV start up Lordstown Motors Corp.

tl;dr
LMC will build its commercial electric pickup truck, the Endurance while GM plans to build a battery factory in the area.

Lordstown Motors production will start with a full-size pickup in late 2020 with a mid-size pickup to follow, and after that, a commercial, industrial utility vehicle.

Workhorse owns 10% of Lordstown Motors, which will license components of Workhorse's electric-drive technology for the electric truck. Workhorse will transfer 6,000 existing pre-orders for its W-15 battery-powered pickup to Lordstown Motors.

The Endurance is designed to be the first production vehicle that utilizes a four-wheel drive hub-motor system. There's a motor at each wheel, with no transmission or axles.

The features on the trucks are specific to the needs of fleet customers. For example, there's an onboard power export, allowing workers to run power tools at a job site without the need for a portable generator or to leave the truck running.

To read complete article by The Detroit News ... https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...-vehicle-startup-lordstown-motors/2512371001/

Found dozens of other articles about this but only skimmed a couple of them.

Even though these will be commercial available vehicles, I wonder if they will find a way to be available to consumers, new or used.

Didn't see any mention of a price. Perhaps that's due to them being only commercially available and would depend upon size of order?
Sponsored

raucous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, R1T preorder
Workhorse started taking consumer reservations ($1,000) for the W-15 back in January of 2018. At the time the estimated price that they quoted was $52,500. Now? Who knows. I didn't see any mention of a price either.

I wonder if those 6,000 preorders includes any existing consumer reservations given the LMC focus on fleets.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
They're pretty low on show-me for the timeline they're asserting. Lordstown because it would take a miracle?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Last I saw they were trying to borrow $200M from the government to retool the plant more quickly.

raucous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, R1T preorder
Agreed. It sounds like they're still searching for the funding they'll need to even start on the tooling. There's talk of tapping into a government loan program but that won't cover everything.

I saw elsewhere that Workhorse did indeed transfer their consumer reservations to Lordstown. I don't know how many of those have stuck it out after years of delays and now the availability of other options - many of which look likely to ship first.
Sponsored