Sponsored

GM plans to remove Apple CarPlay and Android Auto from EVs.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...ple-carplay-evs-with-googles-help-2023-03-31/

Interesting twist, and as I assumed was the case with Rivian, they want to be the ones to capture data. In this age of machine learning and future AI-enabled enhancements, data is a goldmine. Rivian will not be adding CarPlay or AA, unless those products offer significant data sharing. We might get apps from those services, (e.g. Apple Music) but not the whole thing.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just canceled both my Sierra and Silverado EV orders. Likely wasn't going to buy the $107k Sierra Denali edition anyway and had my doubts about the overall size of these large trucks and definitely wasn't going to buy both, seems like an opportune time to cancel.

Whether I like it or not my iPhone is the center of my universe not my truck, the sooner auto makers realize that the better.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just canceled both my Sierra and Silverado EV orders. Likely wasn't going to buy the $107k Sierra Denali edition anyway and had my doubts about the overall size of these large trucks and definitely wasn't going to buy both, seems like an opportune time to cancel.

Whether I like it or not my iPhone is the center of my universe not my truck, the sooner auto makers realize that the better.
When are you selling your Rivian though?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

When are you selling your Rivian though?
Well... I'll get another 20-25k miles out of it but no plans to sell it because of a lack of CP if that is what you are getting at.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mister Person

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Yeah, same here, but I think what auto makers are more likely to realize is that the value of the data they can collect if they don't implement CP/AA far, far outweighs the potential lost sales due to not having CP/AA. And now that OEMs are getting in on the race to data mine, it justifies Rivian's approach and reduces lost sales. Don't hold your breath.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well... I'll get another 20-25k miles out of it but no plans to sell it because of a lack of CP if that is what you are getting at.
That's what, another 8 months for you? What's your replacement plan? RAM?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That's what, another 8 months for you? What's your replacement plan? RAM?
I mean ideally I'd be replacing it with a 4x4 EV adventure van. Or maybe something along these lines:

All that said if my camper shell works out maybe I'll just order another R1T.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, same here, but I think what auto makers are more likely to realize is that the value of the data they can collect if they don't implement CP/AA far, far outweighs the potential lost sales due to not having CP/AA. And now that OEMs are getting in on the race to data mine, it justifies Rivian's approach and reduces lost sales. Don't hold your breath.
Privacy regulations (especially in the EU) are going to reduce the value of this data. Even without regulations, you’re doing to see a consumer preference towards disabling invasive services, like Alexa. People trust Apple to preserve the privacy of their data and location, but not OEMs.

I don’t see spyware being monetizable to point where it’s worth losing sales of a $100K car, especially once competition arrives. Personally I don’t buy cars without CarPlay anymore. Rivian is the exception because they make something that nobody else does. That won’t last forever.

Last edited:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I mean ideally I'd be replacing it with a 4x4 EV adventure van. Or maybe something along these lines:

All that said if my camper shell works out maybe I'll just order another R1T.
Which camper shell did you go with?

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Which camper shell did you go with?
Oru Designs. I pick it up next week, will post pics, details, efficiency etc after I have it.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe all the people constantly complaining about CarPlay here can go to the GM forum to do it now?
For ranters like me it takes a bit of wind of out of my sail.

In any case my main complaint with CarPlay being unavailable in a Rivian isn't because I need to have it, but because Rivians Infotainment is horrible.

So Carplay would be a way to avoid the mess.

In a GM I'd at least have Google Maps.

In my Rivian I'll continue to use my Apple Watch for backup Navigation, and for a less cynical arrival time estimate.