Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Apple Insider

General Motors plans to gradually replace CarPlay and Android Auto in its vehicles, in favor of an in-house infotainment system developed with Google, leaning on subscription services.

As Apple prepares to launch the next generation of CarPlay it teased in 2022, some automobile manufacturers are taking a step back. For example, after being late to the game in integrating third-party systems, GM will no longer offer CarPlay and Android Auto in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer.
Sponsored

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

There must be something to this - Tesla doesn’t offer CarPlay/Android Auto. Rivian obviously doesn’t. And now GM is ditching it for their EVs. Is it because of the issue of letting someone’s phone handle navigation when it doesn’t have the vehicle’s data about battery range/efficiency/etc.?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There must be something to this - Tesla doesn’t offer CarPlay/Android Auto. Rivian obviously doesn’t. And now GM is ditching it for their EVs. Is it because of the issue of letting someone’s phone handle navigation when it doesn’t have the vehicle’s data about battery range/efficiency/etc.?
Apple wants Carplay to completely replace the in-car experience. Personally I think it's shortsighted to design a car to depend on a third party device. Especially phones, which really are pretty fragile.

The other part I don't really care for is I like the user experience being a little different depending on what car I'm in. Now having two Rivians and finally driving the second one the other day made me realize that I'm much less excited overall driving the second one. It's basically the same vehicle with a better turning radius from the driver's perspective.

Last edited:

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Apple has also been rumored to have their own EV in development, so maybe they don't want people getting too comfortable with a potential competitor's car-based OS.
Sponsored