EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

I had the same issue with a C8 Corvette, only it was the steeply raked windshield and tumble home on the side windows. High end ceramic tint did an incredible job of eliminating UV and IR. AC fan was noticeable quieter, dark interior never became too hot to get into when parked on warm sunny days. This will be my first add to my R1T.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm by no means an expert but since tint is traditionally applied to the interior I'd think there'd be less of an interest in developing something to affix something externally. Especially something that would need to deal with the elements. I felt the same about buying a shade for my MY but I put it in last year and never took it down. I'm hoping I can use the ventilated seats to offset the heat from the roof in the warmer months and in the winter I probably wouldn't mind any extra heat.
As someone who's owned several vehicles with ventilated seats, I see this as a common misconception.

All ventilated seats do is run a fan to circulate air through the seat back/bottom. This can do wonders to alleviate the "hot spot" that builds up at the small of your back, on trips, for example. However, if the car itself is hot, it isn't going to make you feel not-hot. Now once the A/C cools the cabin air down significantly, then the ventilated seats help circulate that air to your back... But the seats, themselves, aren't going to negate heat coming through the glass roof, imo.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As someone who's owned several vehicles with ventilated seats, I see this as a common misconception.

All ventilated seats do is run a fan to circulate air through the seat back/bottom. This can do wonders to alleviate the "hot spot" that builds up at the small of your back, on trips, for example. However, if the car itself is hot, it isn't going to make you feel not-hot. Now once the A/C cools the cabin air down significantly, then the ventilated seats help circulate that air to your back... But the seats, themselves, aren't going to negate heat coming through the glass roof, imo.
For my needs in my previous vehicle it worked well enough for me. The seats balanced things out a bit so that I didn't need the AC running and didn't mind the sun. Not saying everyone's experience will be the same and I haven't used the Rivian ventiallted seats so maybe they won't work like my past experience.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Give me an old fashion metal roof. I can only imagine how hot my black interior will get when it’s sitting out in the sun on those 95 degree days. Mine is an Explorer build with no ventilated seats. However, having had ventilated seats in a Mercedes that I once had, it’s hard for me to imagine them being much of a match for the sun beating down through a full length sun roof. Besides the human element, all that heat can’t be good for all the interior components of the vehicle. One way or another, that moon roof will have to be covered or heavily tinted. If I can figure out a way to mount a roof rack, along with my rooftop tent (78” long), that will help shade things. But, that’s another issue altogether.

tomaskuehn9

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60 Cross-Country; Porsche Carrera 4
I live in the hottest part of LA County (gets to be 110+ in August with a “hot sun”). When my wife and I did our first mile drive a couple weeks ago, she said she was worried about the roof. her last two cars (BMW X2 and currently Volvo wagon) have large glass moonroofs, but both have screens that separately retract, where you have the option of both closed, both open, or screen open with glass closed. The screen does pretty well in mitigating the radiating effect of the sun beating down on you in the summer.

Also, speaking as a guy who is follicularly challenged, I would really love a retractable screen option For those days I want to take my cap off and let the AC blow on my scalp. I feel like this is the best of both worlds option.

Sponsored

jmo1979

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner and Land Cruiser
I live in the hottest part of LA County (gets to be 110+ in August with a “hot sun”). When my wife and I did our first mile drive a couple weeks ago, she said she was worried about the roof. her last two cars (BMW X2 and currently Volvo wagon) have large glass moonroofs, but both have screens that separately retract, where you have the option of both closed, both open, or screen open with glass closed. The screen does pretty well in mitigating the radiating effect of the sun beating down on you in the summer.

Also, speaking as a guy who is follicularly challenged, I would really love a retractable screen option For those days I want to take my cap off and let the AC blow on my scalp. I feel like this is the best of both worlds option.
I've had the R1T for about 4 weeks now and can confirm the interior does get hotter than my other cars. Wish they had a shade option.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I should add that pre-conditioning helped more than ventilated seats did. At least in my case, hitting a button in an app 5-6 minutes before I was ready to go was more than enough to get the car comfortable on all but the most extreme days. And in those cases I'd just add a minute or two more. Depending on climate it's certainly a flaw not including a shade or not offering it as an accessory at launch. I'm not sure a more agressive tint would've made much of a difference but they could've gone that route also assuming no risks.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Not directly to this discussion, but can't help mention it. It's funny how many discussions overlap industries. A couple of examples:

1. Right now there is so much discussion in the landscaping (consumer and pro) industries about battery mowers, trimmers, etc. They have reached a point of performance that it is quite the battle, reminds me of electric vehicle performance vs gas performance discussions. (in mind because I'm looking at purchasing one soon)

2. More in line with this discussion... Disneyworld opened up their skyline gondolas a few years ago and it there were complete wars online with some of the same discussions here like heat and other issues (safety, evacuation, speed). People were outraged that they would have these giant glass gondolas in the Florida heat without individual air conditioning units on each (think a ski resort gondola vs one of those giant ones in Northern Europe the size of a house that goes to the top of a mountain with people/cargo/building materials/etc, not just a skiers). Very similar to the discussion of glass tops on cars and a lot of "this would never work in AZ, FL, TX<insert region with perceived unicorn weather pattern here> summers." Of course this isn't new technology and those gondolas have been around for many years, they have special tint coating on them and ventilation to keep them cool. (in mind because I'm a disney fan and have written several books on traveling to disney)

I'm not coming in for or against any discussion here and I applaud the civil discussion here, it is just an observation about the parallels here. I would actually say that the fact there is this discussion probably means that good things are happening and innovation is occurring because boring just = "same old thing"

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I should add that pre-conditioning helped more than ventilated seats did. At least in my case, hitting a button in an app 5-6 minutes before I was ready to go was more than enough to get the car comfortable on all but the most extreme days. And in those cases I'd just add a minute or two more. Depending on climate it's certainly a flaw not including a shade or not offering it as an accessory at launch. I'm not sure a more agressive tint would've made much of a difference but they could've gone that route also assuming no risks.
If this is a problem with the R1T, imagine what it will be like in an R1S (my order), with an even larger moon roof ☹

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
I didn't read through this entire thread so I don't know if someone already posted this (apologies if that is the case). Maybe this guy/company can/will make something to fit inside the Rivian offerings.
https://evinsulate.com/

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I didn't read through this entire thread so I don't know if someone already posted this (apologies if that is the case). Maybe this guy/company can/will make something to fit inside the Rivian offerings.
https://evinsulate.com/
This is an interesting product. My concern is, they seem to be focused on cabin heat retention in the winter. I’m much more concerned with minimizing the solar gain heat build up in the summer, so I don’t know it this is an answer.

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
This is an interesting product. My concern is, they seem to be focused on cabin heat retention in the winter. I’m much more concerned with minimizing the solar gain heat build up in the summer, so I don’t know it this is an answer.
I think it would work in both cases because there is a gap between the roof glass and the product, so that "pocket" of air should be a good insulator. Or, so I believe.... <shrug>

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I think it would work in both cases because there is a gap between the roof glass and the product, so that "pocket" of air should be a good insulator. Or, so I believe.... <shrug>
Could well be the case. I just found it odd that their website talks extensively about retaining heat in the winter, but says very little about preventing heat buildup In the summer. I imagine every little bit helps. I’m no thermal expert, but I think their is a difference between insulating from the cold glass and subsequent heat loss during cold weather, and defending against the sun’s penetrating rays and solar gain in the summer. If you stand next to a double pane window, on a cold day, you may not feel much cold passing through it, because of that insulating space between the panes. But, stand next to that same window with the summer sun beating through it and you will definitely feel the heat - solar gain.

Last edited:

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
Could well be the case. I just found it odd that their website talks extensively about retaining heat in the winter, but says very little about preventing heat buildup In the summer. I imagine every little bit helps. I’m no thermal expert, but I think their is a difference between insulating from the cold glass and subsequent heat loss during cold weather, and defending against the sun’s penetrating rays and solar gain in the summer. If you stand next to a double pane window, on a cold day, you may not feel much cold passing through it, because of that insulating space between the panes. But, stand next to that same window with the summer sun beating through it and you will definitely feel the heat - solar gain.
I, too, am no thermal expert. This would be good to test. I wonder if they talk mostly about retaining heat in winter as they are in Canada.

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
Anybody consider using the perforated window film on the top of the moon roof. You can get it in white. I’m thinking it would help immensely. My glass gets pretty hot during the day in Southern California.
Sponsored