Sponsored

Joel&Sue

First Name
Joel&Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Lexus Rx450, Corvette
We had our First Mile today, and it was a blast…. Everything we had hoped for was delivered. We were the third drive for Dallas area.

I did a light spectrum analysis of the outside versus the inside to measure the efficiency of the glass top. While the data confirms the glass certainly reduces the UV (Below 400nm) it also reduced the intensity from outside = 65,500 lux to 1280 lux inside. The data is attached.

While the intensity was certainly reduced, the heat radiating from the glass top could certainly be felt. Temperature today was about mid 70’s during our drive. We will need to engineer some type of insulated insert.

Rivian R1T R1S Glass roof UV reduction efficiency measured (@ First Mile Dallas) 31150649-11EC-41EB-ACD6-022D288BA4CC

Rivian R1T R1S Glass roof UV reduction efficiency measured (@ First Mile Dallas) C2F49270-857D-421E-A190-F8F03DF5EA19
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

While the intensity was certainly reduced, the heat radiating from the glass top could certainly be felt. Temperature today was about mid 70’s during our drive. We will need to engineer some type of insulated insert.
So am I reading that chart correctly that it doesn't knock down the IR pretty much at all? That's disappointing if they didn't put ceramic tint on it from the factory.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We had our First Mile today, and it was a blast…. Everything we had hoped for was delivered. We were the third drive for Dallas area.

I did a light spectrum analysis of the outside versus the inside to measure the efficiency of the glass top. While the data confirms the glass certainly reduces the UV (Below 400nm) it also reduced the intensity from outside = 65,500 lux to 1280 lux inside. The data is attached.

31150649-11EC-41EB-ACD6-022D288BA4CC.jpeg

C2F49270-857D-421E-A190-F8F03DF5EA19.jpeg
Yes, the day they delivered mine it was 90 outside and full sun and it can be felt...I worry for the 100 degree days.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes, the day they delivered mine it was 90 outside and full sun and it can be felt...I worry for the 100 degree days.
I can definitely feel the heat in my Model Y when temperatures go above 90.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Someone needs to get ceramic tint on the windows, windshield and roof and let me know if its worth it.
Based on experience with previous vehicles, it is absolutely worth it. I've never had to worry about doing the roof before and I'm not sure how film on the windshield works with registration stickers. But I've had ceramic tint on the side/back windows and the difference is freaking amazing vs without. I also use a Covercraft UVS100 sunshade in the front windshield whenever I'm parked which also makes a huge difference. The tint+sunshade make getting in a parked car in the Texas summer sun pretty much a non-issue (edit: even with a black interior).

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P

31150649-11EC-41EB-ACD6-022D288BA4CC.jpeg

C2F49270-857D-421E-A190-F8F03DF5EA19.jpeg
Where in Dallas is this happening? I just want to see some Rivians in person. Any RS1s?

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Based on experience with previous vehicles, it is absolutely worth it. I've never had to worry about doing the roof before and I'm not sure how film on the windshield works with registration stickers. But I've had ceramic tint on the side/back windows and the difference is freaking amazing vs without. I also use a Covercraft UVS100 sunshade in the front windshield whenever I'm parked which also makes a huge difference. The tint+sunshade make getting in a parked car in the Texas summer sun pretty much a non-issue.
They put a piece of PPF where the reg sticker goes so you can just remove and re-apply new ones easily. I had my windshield tinted on my Model 3 when I was living in Austin. 95% tint, so you couldn't see it much, but it certainly helped reduce the feeling of the heat coming through.

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
Where in Dallas is this happening? I just want to see some Rivians in person. Any RS1s?
This was the First Mile Mobile event, where you sign up via your account page (I think it was only available to a certain number of pre-order holders, probably by order date), and they brought the vehicle to your house for a demo and test drive.

Apparently, I was the very first in Dallas Tuesday morning, and it was a LA Silver R1T. No R1Ss.

If you want to see a truck in person they are staging at 6100 Peeler St, near Love Field. You can't go on the property and they wont talk to you because they don't have a dealer license in Texas, but you can see them!

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
That's disappointing. we will need to add something to the roof window? Would ceramic tinting be the way to go? My mustang does well at this and I don't feel the need additional methods to block out the sun in summer here.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
On our last panoramic roof we asked 3 different tint shops about doing our roof and none of them would do it. They all said adding tint to the inside of the glass roof pushes too much heat back through the glass and we risk the whole roof shattering on a hot day. We were firmly told not to do it.

I’m not an engineer or a scientist. So can’t speak to if what we were told is correct or not. But if Southern California tint shops won’t do it, I will probably not do it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
On our last panoramic roof we asked 3 different tint shops about doing our roof and none of them would do it. They all said adding tint to the inside of the glass roof pushes too much heat back through the glass and we risk the whole roof shattering on a hot day. We were firmly told not to do it.

I’m not an engineer or a scientist. So can’t speak to if what we were told is correct or not. But if Southern California tint shops won’t do it, I will probably not do it.
My take on this is if they are turning down a job there must be a good reason.
Sponsored