Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
This is what I’m thinking. If putting a reflective film on the interior of the roof will create a breakage issue, as the glass overheats, why not put a reflective film on the outside. It seems that, by doing so, one would eliminate the glass issue.
Sponsored

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
I guess I need to remember that not everybody has a white truck like me so maybe the white film won’t. Work for most.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
It is pretty unfortunate spending this much money on a vehicle and already having to be trying to find ways to keep the inside from baking because of a glass roof with no shade.
Bingo! It’s features like this that have me shaking my head. With all the insanely incredible features Rivian has incorporated, surely, during the development process, someone must have raised their hand and pointed out that this would be a potential problem area, that needed to be addressed. I put this right up there with the Rivian crossbar mounting system that appears to limit options for rooftop functionality. I don’t understand what they were thinking, or not.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Bingo! It’s features like this that have me shaking my head. With all the insanely incredible features Rivian has incorporated, surely, during the development process, someone must have raised their hand and pointed out that this would be a potential problem area, that needed to be addressed. I put this right up there with the Rivian crossbar mounting system that appears to limit options for rooftop functionality. I don’t understand what they were thinking, or not.
The R1T was originally going to have an electrochromic roof. That was later removed (probably for cost reasons). The original design didn’t have a shade because it would have been redundant. But once it stopped being redundant, it was probably too late to redesign to include it.

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Well hey we could just buy a piece of that beautiful reflectix hot glue some velcro on the headliner at each corner of the glass and hot glue the other side of the velcro on the reflectix. Problem solved for $10.:clap:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Polestar just announced a removable sunshade for their panoramic glass roof. Seem to recall other custom shades being made for PS as their roof design may lend itself to inserts. Not sure how that compares to Rivian's design.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
On my Model X, the factory provided mesh cloth wasn't holding back the heat to the extent I would like so I ordered this from Amazon and cut it to size to use along with the factory mesh to hold it. Blocks all the heat and pretty cool inside. Used some spread-out binder clips to hold it in place. Had a similar solution for my prior Model S as the heat would give me a real headache (I live in Seattle 😂).

Coolaroo 457785 Shade Fabric with...
Might plan to do the same with my R1S when I get it.

Let's just say that I didn't fell good when Rivian decided to not continue with the electro-chromatic roof and also stated that the sliding roofs (like other cars) will come in later years.

For a team that did quite extensive testing in South America, I would've guessed that they would've taken care of it. I think we all create our own solution. I don't know enough about that twistable, poppable metal solutions that the popular sunshades have in the edges. This colaroo shade in with those metal edges and being able to slot it in the gap between the glass, interior fabric would be an awesome solution.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
On our last panoramic roof we asked 3 different tint shops about doing our roof and none of them would do it. They all said adding tint to the inside of the glass roof pushes too much heat back through the glass and we risk the whole roof shattering on a hot day. We were firmly told not to do it.

I’m not an engineer or a scientist. So can’t speak to if what we were told is correct or not. But if Southern California tint shops won’t do it, I will probably not do it.
Spoke to 3M certified tint shop in Atlanta about the roof in the Rivian. They have not done any yet, but stated that the roof window "exploding" would be more likely if there was a dark tint applied, and unlikely to be a problem if used the 3M Crystalline 70% transmissibility, same as on the front windshield, and rear windows. I have this on my Bolt EV and Volt, front windshields, and there is no appreciable tint as far as I can tell, but the reduction in infrared heat is outstanding.

Won't get my R1T for a month or so, "s00n", so cannot report yet, but this is my plan...Crystalline 70 on roof, rear windows, and windshield, but a ceramic film on driver and front passenger windows so it will match the color of the already "tinted" rear windows. It is just a shame Rivian didn't think of this as a factory or service center add-on, as they would likely sell a ton of it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Does anybody know if Rivian is using any laminated glass on any of the windows or the roof? If so, be more careful about tinting and UV and heat reducing films on those glass pieces.

Sponsored

Samwhitney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOY Sequoia
Occupation
Circus Manager
We had our First Mile today, and it was a blast…. Everything we had hoped for was delivered. We were the third drive for Dallas area.

I did a light spectrum analysis of the outside versus the inside to measure the efficiency of the glass top. While the data confirms the glass certainly reduces the UV (Below 400nm) it also reduced the intensity from outside = 65,500 lux to 1280 lux inside. The data is attached.

While the intensity was certainly reduced, the heat radiating from the glass top could certainly be felt. Temperature today was about mid 70’s during our drive. We will need to engineer some type of insulated insert.

31150649-11EC-41EB-ACD6-022D288BA4CC.jpeg

C2F49270-857D-421E-A190-F8F03DF5EA19.jpeg
The original design incorporated smart glass tech (same as Mercedes Magic Sky Control). Maybe the next version of glass gets smart.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
There was an old (~ten year) focus group study I saw that said consumers correlated glass moon roofs with an extra ~$5k of price justification. That same study showed folks didn’t really want it as an option but it costs manufactures maybe $1k so it was an easy way to pad profits when folks just accepted it. Still doesn’t explain why a sunshade wasn’t provided when more AC means less Kw/mile.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Still doesn’t explain why a sunshade wasn’t provided when more AC means less Kw/mile.
Mostly for the reason you highligted. People associate the feature with luxury and it's one less reason to balk at a sticker price. The main concern for Rivian in design clearly wasn't efficiency... while its pretty efficient for its purpose it's ultimately about as aerodynamic as several large bricks stacked on top of each other flying through the air. While I wish they would've done it, adding in a shade would've cost them something per vehicle and companies like Telsa are doing just fine without a shade option.

Now that Porsche and Toyota have an electrochromic roof option maybe that will make its way into the next re-design.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Now that Porsche and Toyota have an electrochromic roof option maybe that will make its way into the next re-design.
Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy to get rid of the glass roof altogether.