Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Very disappointing. This is why I was hoping for a standard insulated metal roof option. These glass roofs are terrible for hot climates. Especially year round ones like I'm in (Hawaii). Nothing better than getting your head constantly baked in a luxury vehicle. Hoping someone can figure out a way to stick something up there permanently to keep the radiating heat off your head. I'll be the first to buy.
Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
On our last panoramic roof we asked 3 different tint shops about doing our roof and none of them would do it. They all said adding tint to the inside of the glass roof pushes too much heat back through the glass and we risk the whole roof shattering on a hot day. We were firmly told not to do it.

Iā€™m not an engineer or a scientist. So canā€™t speak to if what we were told is correct or not. But if Southern California tint shops wonā€™t do it, I will probably not do it.
When Iā€™d looked into it I heard the same thing.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I have both of the roof panels on my model 3 tinted and itā€™s great. Iā€™ll probably do this same with the R1S.

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Very disappointing. This is why I was hoping for a standard insulated metal roof option. These glass roofs are terrible for hot climates. Especially year round ones like I'm in (Hawaii). Nothing better than getting your head constantly baked in a luxury vehicle. Hoping someone can figure out a way to stick something up there permanently to keep the radiating heat off your head. I'll be the first to buy.
Even a manual sun shade (though motorized) would be helpful. There are many after market options.
Hopefully a customized version comes out for Rivian.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Before proceeding with tinting the roof, I would want to know Rivian's stance regarding warranty in this situation.

Sponsored

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Iā€™m not an engineer or a scientist. So canā€™t speak to if what we were told is correct or not. But if Southern California tint shops wonā€™t do it, I will probably not do it.
I'm not in SoCal but I did watch this video on Youtube. The guy at the SoCal shop quotes prices for doing the Rivian roof. If you are in the area it may be worth seeing what he has to say.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
I live in Texas, also waiting on my R1T. I have been worried about the glass roof. I have not seen any aftermarket or rigged roof shades. I am interested in who comes up with a solution.

I was going to tint the front windows darker. If anyone finds a solution, please share! Great thread!

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Someone needs to get ceramic tint on the windows, windshield and roof and let me know if its worth it.
i will be doing all that when I get mine. But 1st half next year might be too late for you to have an answer.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Well, Iā€™ve never had a car with a full glass roof, but I think I would happily ditch It. Definitely not one of my preferred R1 features. Seems like kind of a gee whiz gimmick, that will come with potential issues. Guess weā€™ll see.

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
I have both of the roof panels on my model 3 tinted and itā€™s great. Iā€™ll probably do this same with the R1S.
Same. I have my both of my Model 3 roof panels tinted with 35% ceramic tint as well as roof shades for both. The Model 3 is a fishbowl without those. I paid extra for a single piece of tint-film for the rear glass to avoid a seam, in hindsight I would have saved that money as with the roof shade it doesn't matter. In case it wasn't clear I do not value a glass roof. To me its a necessary evil for having a cutting edge EV, so I get by.

Sponsored

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Here in Furnaceā€¦ sorry, I mean Phoenix, we need the Highest heat blocking film possible. I will be having the guy who tinted my model S also tint my R1S if I ever get it. Lol. Edit: he tinted all windows including windshield.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

For what it's worth, I'm having Xpel Prime CS 88 tint put on the windshield. On the outside of the windshield and on top of the roof glass, I'm having Exoshield applied. The Prime CS 88 tint still transmits 86% of visible light while rejecting 99% of the UV and ~58% if the IR. I've been told it has none of the low-angle haze present in some other tints and far less of that oil-slick look you can get with polarized sunglasses (a must for me to kill glare).

The Exohield also takes out about 99% of UV, so that's a bit of overkill, but it'll also add glass protection to the windshield and roof. Being a sports junkie and living in the insurance field, I've seen the occasional rooftop cargo bar take an incoming fastball and lay down a bunt that makes it into your infield, otherwise known as the interior. Really spectacular play if someone's 90 feet away and heading home with the game on the line, but not so fun if you're 90 miles from home, and heading out on vacation in a driving rainstorm.

It's not a solution, but it's a start. If it stops even a little of the heat from coming through the roof (along with smaller rocks - the large ones won't be deterred), all the better. I'm actually toying with having a smaller pattern of high IR-rejecting tint put on the outside of the roof before the Exoshield. If the tint were cut to cover the inside dimensions of the opening and the Exoshield covers the tint, and the rest of the glass all the way to the edges, I'd think we'd avoid the phenomena of glass exploding due to interior tint retaing the heat as @SoCalTravels mentioned previously.

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I've been told it has none of the low-angle haze present in some other tints
The haze was a major problem when I had my model 3 windshield tinted. There was just something that seemed off at certain times and it really bugged me. Others didnā€™t notice and had no idea what I was talking about. That was with 80% Llumar air. I wonā€™t tint the windshield but will likely tint the roof with 50% or something not too much darker. I did 35% on top of factory for the model 3 and itā€™s very dark.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The haze was a major problem when I had my model 3 windshield tinted. There was just something that seemed off at certain times and it really bugged me. Others didnā€™t notice and had no idea what I was talking about. That was with 80% Llumar air. I wonā€™t tint the windshield but will likely tint the roof with 50% or something not too much darker. I did 35% on top of factory for the model 3 and itā€™s very dark.
My PPF guy warned me about the low-angle haze in various product lines of Xpel and other tints. He said it was more prevalent/noticable in steeply-raked windshields, like those of most Teslas. He also warned about using "Ceramic" tints on the windshield. A quick online search of "PPF low-angle windshield haze" will reveal the word "ceramic" in a lot of discussions about haze. Choose carefully, or the world may look even weirder than it already is.

He took the time to pull out several rolls and held samples of them up to the light at various angles to show how some can look a little hazy. I'd recommend checking out all while wearing your sunglasses.

Some look fine to the naked eye, but your glasses may reveal an oil-slick/kaleidoscope effect to them. You may not see it unless your glasses are polarized. For those of us old enough to remember, it reminded me of that old parental advice that "If you use that stuff, later in life you might have flashbacks!" šŸ¤Æ

I will always trust my eyes over what the marketing geniuses and other people tell me on that Interweb thingy. I had a friend that lost an eye in a BB gun fight as a kid. After that, he always said "The eye don't lie!". Always best to do your research and check out any tint in person before spending the time and money. šŸ‘

Rivian R1T R1S Glass roof UV reduction efficiency measured (@ First Mile Dallas) Screenshot_20220407-064433_Drive

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Me thinks Rivian needs to find a solution to this self-inflicted issue.

Not interested in driving around in a greenhouse, or installing taxi driver bead seats to keep air circulating.
Sponsored