Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Does anybody know if Rivian is using any laminated glass on any of the windows or the roof? If so, be more careful about tinting and UV and heat reducing films on those glass pieces.
The R1T I rode in had laminated driver and passenger windows...felt like it to me at least.
Dirty_B
Sponsored

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
If it can be done, I'll probably vinyl wrap the glass roof

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

I live in Fort Worth and just got invited to do a first mile test drive. Signed up for May 13. Are there any suggestions, or requests, for me?

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I live in Fort Worth and just got invited to do a first mile test drive. Signed up for May 13. Are there any suggestions, or requests, for me?
Yah, can I ride with you?!

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What were your thoughts on the glass roof and heat coming through?

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I did mine in Dallas over the weekend and it was 95 out in the early afternoon. Honestly I barely noticed the glass roof. Definitely didn't feel the sun through it.

The ventilated seats were a Godsend.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
The tinting on the roof and back windows blocks some infrared energy. The fronts and windshield not as much. These pics were taken with my converted Sony camera and a 850 nm filter for you science/photo geeks. Through the open parts of the windows you can see how the foliage (yeah, I need to weed my front yard) is bright white (typical for IR photos) whereas through the roof and rear window glass it is much more muted.
Rivian R1T R1S Glass roof UV reduction efficiency measured (@ First Mile Dallas) 2022-05-13 Rivian _TAI1368

Rivian R1T R1S Glass roof UV reduction efficiency measured (@ First Mile Dallas) 2022-05-13 Rivian _TAI1369

Rivian R1T R1S Glass roof UV reduction efficiency measured (@ First Mile Dallas) 2022-05-13 Rivian _TAI1370

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

I did my ride early in the morning, 9am, so it wasn't hot outside yet. I didn't notice any heat. This is also a concern of mine and I did ask specifically about this. The guide said the AC has no trouble keeping up with keeping the car cool, except for when he is getting in and out of it frequently.

Emmett Stone

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 P, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
On our last panoramic roof we asked 3 different tint shops about doing our roof and none of them would do it. They all said adding tint to the inside of the glass roof pushes too much heat back through the glass and we risk the whole roof shattering on a hot day. We were firmly told not to do it.

I’m not an engineer or a scientist. So can’t speak to if what we were told is correct or not. But if Southern California tint shops won’t do it, I will probably not do it.
This is the way.

Sponsored

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

So I can see why adding tinting to the inside of the glass on the roof could be problematic. Is there a way to add tinting or UV filtering PPF to the outside of the roof that would get the same or similar heat reduction inside the cabin?

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
Honest question about the concerns for tint/ceramic/IR films on the roof.

I tried to search for any real issued warnings/disclaimers about this, from a manufacturer of car glass, OEM, tint companies and couldn't find anything. There are some comments about it on the web, forums, etc, but it seems like its more lore than anything substantive.

I have trouble thinking that these films on a panoramic roof cause so much more problems than the same films pose on large back window sections of other cars that are exposed to full sun. I would assume that there are probably hundreds of thousands of cars with film on the back windows, and there isn't a pandemic of exploding rear windshields in the hot areas of the county that I'm aware of.

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

Honest question about the concerns for tint/ceramic/IR films on the roof.

I tried to search for any real issued warnings/disclaimers about this, from a manufacturer of car glass, OEM, tint companies and couldn't find anything. There are some comments about it on the web, forums, etc, but it seems like its more lore than anything substantive.

I have trouble thinking that these films on a panoramic roof cause so much more problems than the same films pose on large back window sections of other cars that are exposed to full sun. I would assume that there are probably hundreds of thousands of cars with film on the back windows, and there isn't a pandemic of exploding rear windshields in the hot areas of the county that I'm aware of.
Logically that makes sense. I can’t imagine the glass getting much hotter than 150F and any glass should be able to handle that heat.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
I almost suspect that a reason tint companies may not want to tint these larger panoramics is that it seems like a huge pain in the ass to do so, and it would require larger sheets of film that are more expensive or they dont want to deal with the extra labor involved.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
The tinting on the roof and back windows blocks some infrared energy. The fronts and windshield not as much. These pics were taken with my converted Sony camera and a 850 nm filter for you science/photo geeks. Through the open parts of the windows you can see how the foliage (yeah, I need to weed my front yard) is bright white (typical for IR photos) whereas through the roof and rear window glass it is much more muted.
This is neat to see but it's worth noting that IR is not the only source of heat through a window. Any light that gets through the windows that isn't reflected off the surface it strikes will become heat, whether it's UV, visible light, or IR. The factory tint should block most of the UV and I believe 80% of the visible light in the rear. From your pictures the IR rejection should be similar, but it's hard to assess that just by looking given how humans naturally perceive light intensity.

Windshields (as they're laminated and incorporate a filter to block UV) transmit almost no UV light through, but are fairly transparent to visible and IR light. That's probably a major source of heat in the car, but given the expense, the amount of night driving I do, and the fact that windshields get cracked/broken I am not planning to tint it.
Sponsored