Sponsored

Give up your 3rd row for MAX battery (extra 100miles)?

Trade your 3rd row for MaxPack - 100miles more range

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I ordered the Launch Edition because I wanted one asap. I don't need the 7 seats and if it didn't require delays, I'd choose a longer range 5-seater no question.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I ordered the Launch Edition because I wanted one asap. I don't need the 7 seats and if it didn't require delays, I'd choose a longer range 5-seater no question.

I delayed my reservation because I wanted the Max pack. I would have been first in line otherwise. I guess I want what I want. But I totally get that "I want one now and don't care which one" thinking.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I delayed my reservation because I wanted the Max pack. I would have been first in line otherwise. I guess I want what I want. But I totally get that "I want one now and don't care which one" thinking.
It was definitely a gamble. I was expecting them to announce the longer-range R1S at the launch of the production R1S (because the website said for like a year they would do exactly that) and I figured ordering the LE would give me the most flexibility... and then they went and killed the 5-seater and didn't announce a longer range (unless you count the slight increase in rage with dual motors). I guess the gamble worked... I should get an early one since I'm one of the first 600 or so orders but who knows with how random the deliveries have been.

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I should get an early one since I'm one of the first 600 or so orders but who knows with how random the deliveries have been.
I'll be in line for a ride when you do.

Sponsored

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
Grandparents live close by, we often pick them up so.... 2 parents, 2 kids and 2 grandparents ...need the 7 seats fairly often

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I will take the 7 seater today and hope in 3 years there is a 7 seat version with 100 miles more range.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

The 5-seater with 400+ miles range was what originally sold me on the R1S. I can make the current offering work (and will due to the complete lack of suitable EV alternatives that meet my needs) but it's not the config I want.
isn’t that an R1T max pack?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Personally I would prefer the larger battery + 5 seats.

Right now with a 2 year old in a baby seat, it would be nice to have 7 seats (I can put him in the back and have room for more people). But I forget sometimes that children grow up quick. In just a little while, it'll be a booster, then none at all.

5 seats is better in the long run for me.
Families typically want three row vehicles because they also drive other people kids. That's why Tesla and other manufacturers add a rather crappy third row option whenever possible. With kids below age 16 there is a lot of hauling of smaller people making many seat belts desirable.

My kids are grown, so my original order was R1S max pack. But even with two school age kids I would have given up the max pack for the third row.

Sponsored

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
As of 2021, according to the U.S. Census Bureau the average family consisted of 3.13 persons in 2021, down from 3.7 in the 1960s.
Our 0.13 of a family member easily fits in the frunk of our Tesla. So 5 seats are plenty.
That said, my original reservation was for a 5 seat R1S to lock in place in line, then to upgrade to the Max pack as soon as it was offered. But I'll still be thrilled with 7 seats + large pack.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Since my 5-seat reservation with the stated possible future Max Pack turning into only a 7-seater with the mid-pack, probably just flip it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
isn’t that an R1T max pack?
Hardly. Is that a serious question? Do you really not understand the difference between a pickup and SUV?

From a seating perspective, yes. From a storage perspective, there's the not so insignificant little difference of open vs enclosed and climate controlled storage. There's no way in hell I'm putting my dogs in the open bed of a pickup (crated or not).

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
As of 2021, according to the U.S. Census Bureau the average family consisted of 3.13 persons in 2021, down from 3.7 in the 1960s.

You need 7 seats?

"Yeah"

Why?

"Just in case I need drive my kids friends around!"

Your kid has 4 friends?

"No... Well maybe I'll want to pick up 3 hitchhikers or something? I want 7 seats!"
Half the population lives in an above average household. See, definition of average.

The average family might not need more then 1 seat in the second row, but if every vehicle was designed for the average family, what would the other half of the population drive?

For every 2 unmarried/single households, there needs to be a family with five children to bring the average up to three people per household ( Or several families with three children )

I wouldn't give up the third row for an extra thousand miles. The only reason I'm interested in Rivian is because it has three rows of seats.

Last edited:

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I don’t really need the extra row. It might be nice for short trips with my parents and teen kids to dinner. It will be nice for the dog to have his own seat (we use a dog seatbelt).

I don’t really need the extra range. I currently drive a Mini Cooper EV. I get 115 miles. It’s great 90% of the time. I am looking forward to road trips in an EV, we usually take my Jeep that gets 220 miles to a tank. A little more time at the charger than the gas station never hurt anyone. I assume a Max Pack R1S will be $10k more and a few hundred lbs heavier.

Hell, I am still trying to decide between the T and the S. Been leaning toward the S the past week or so. My Guide would love to know, but I can’t make the final call until O see the S.
Sponsored