Sponsored

Getting ready for Summer Heat -- Glass Roof Sunshade options?

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Had a warm sunny day in North Carolina - 82 deg F outside and R1T was over 100 deg F... need to set my plan to block UV for the summer. After a lot of reading, I am settling on a removable shade for the roof window and UV tinting the front windshield in an attempt to avoid 140 deg F temps in the cabin like last fall. I know there are older threads on these topics, but looking for input on latest offerings and views on existing items. I found 4 shades on Amazon as of today:

Hansshow: $68
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVVL23ZY/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1U2D9JFI5ZDW5&psc=1
BestEVMod: $50
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BP696T25/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A2IB1J4HBP2C4M&psc=1
Rivigear: $56
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJ72VPN4/ref=ewc_pr_img_3?smid=A1MAEPS69K378Z&psc=1
Generic: $35
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRJVBMHJ/ref=ewc_pr_img_4?smid=A88RTWKCDCCW3&psc=1

Not a lot of Amazon reviews on any of these, some comments here on older threads. Any clear preferences or others out there I missed? Clips or no clips better? Get one with the extra reflective layer, and if so, do they fit well?

windshield tinting seems to be specific to local offerings but all seem to be around $250ish for the front windshield only. Lots of comments in older threads here, but looking primarily at UV protection/heat reduction, not how dark they are. Any brand recommendations?

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I just installed the Hansshow roof sunshade.

HANSSHOW Sunshade Glass Roof Sunshade Compatible with Rivian R1T, UV Blocking/Heat Insulation Cover Set Foldable Sun Shade Compatible with Rivian R1T 2022 2023 (1 pcs)(No Clips/Suctions Needed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVVL23ZY?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_JPWZVQKYEK3Y0KRVJT00

I like that there are no clips or suction cups. I didn’t take a picture of it, but there is a silver reflective material that faces the glass.

Two installation tips:

- Be sure to open the shade inside the car. It won’t fit through a door unfolded.

- I used a car stereo removal pry tool to pull down the roof liner a bit to get it to fit. I also used the tool to push it at times. It works but needs to be done all along the perimeter. If you plan to remove and re-install often, this is a bit of a pain. However, for me here in the desert, I’ll have it installed only from May to September so this isn’t a big deal to me.

Rivian R1T R1S Getting ready for Summer Heat -- Glass Roof Sunshade options? IMG_1842

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Tintiing to block IR will go long way to reduce temp. Just did Kavaca IR to all windows for our nonRivian truck which is too big for garage. Has made huge difference. Installer indicate to get full benefit all windows should get the film. If u do not want darker shade most of the IR blocking film have a pretty clear Tint (70%).

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is one of my top concerns as well. It seems off that we have to put a shade in a car that's supposedly "premium." There's also the issue a few people posting about the roof cracking. I wish we had a "glass roof delete" option. I plan to tint the roof with ceramic tint. Keep us posted on your experience.

Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Interested to hear if anyone has tried the others here, don’t love the idea of a magnet in the middle.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Tintiing to block IR will go long way to reduce temp. Just did Kavaca IR to all windows for our nonRivian truck which is too big for garage. Has made huge difference. Installer indicate to get full benefit all windows should get the film. If u do not want darker shade most of the IR blocking film have a pretty clear Tint (70%).
I typically don’t tint pano roofs for a few reasons:
  • The cost is very high, $300-600 typically
  • You need a top-tier ceramic film as horizontal glass surfaces capture more IR energy (heat) compared to vertical glass surfaces
  • High performance ceramic window film both absorbs and rejects IR energy (heat). The absorbed heat within the film will now be radiated down into the cabin, and onto drivers.
Save some money and get a removable sunshade. Benefits to a sunshade:
  • Much cheaper than tint
  • Can be removed for owners with multiple seasons (remove for cooler/colder months where you’d like the IR energy to help warm the cabin
  • Perforated shades available
I helped @BestEvMod(AOSK) demo a sunshade for R1T and love the fitment. The initial fitment was spot-on. They do use clips but the whole system installs very easy. The shade is also offered in gray, to match the headliner for Ocean Coast vehicles.

Link to the product on Amazon. Gray is currently OOS but will be listed on this page once supplies return.

Last edited:

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Looks like the BestEVMod won't arrive till mid June from Amazon.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a retractable one. There's a ton of them for the Teslas, so I imagine it's only a matter of time. I had the heat shield, worked well, but disliked the suction cups and the look. Have the one Electruck4x4 sells and it's ok, but can already tell without the reflective part, it's just going to be so so for the hot days here. Not sure it would be a great option for those areas in the 100's all the time.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Anybody seen a set for the R1S? Or does anyone know if the front roof glass is the same on t and s? Thx.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yep, definitely needing front and rear shades for the R1S.
Sponsored