Sponsored

Getting phones to stay put on charging pad?

jds3266

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a6
Just got my R1S last week. Overall love it! One panel needs to be realigned (passenger fender) a small machine mark on passenger cross beam.

my question is has anyone found a good way to get their phone to stay put on the charging pad and not move off during a turn?
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Someone on the Rivian Owners North America group made this themselves with a 3d printer.

Looks cool. Link to post (private group so you can't see the post unless you're currently a member)

309261136_10227455451321427_2443748806401777744_n.jpg
Trademarked I assume ....

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This fits the space very well and phone won't move while on it. Even has a similar pattern to the pad. I'm using an iPhone 11 and charges fine even with a case. It is quite tacky for the first few weeks and may lift a little bit as you pick your phone up.

Sponsored

Moon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
This fits the space very well and phone won't move while on it. Even has a similar pattern to the pad. I'm using an iPhone 11 and charges fine even with a case. It is quite tacky for the first few weeks and may lift a little bit as you pick your phone up.

This sounds great! Could you also please share real picture?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
I just double sided taped this MagSafe charger and plugged it into the usb-c plug in the console. It works great. The charging pad that comes with the truck is a good idea, but execution is garbage.

Rivian R1T R1S Getting phones to stay put on charging pad? F3E7EA66-FE2D-46C9-B357-95E103B23C32

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
FWIW, I managed to get my iPhone 13 Pro Max to charge once (it was a glorious moment!), and the 14 Pro Max won't charge at all. The camera bump puts the phone too far way to charge, so you'll need a Magsafe, or some other form of elevated charging area, since there's no way to dig out a recess in the Rivian charging pad.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I told my wife to not expect much and probably shouldn't even bother trying to use the wireless charging when we got our truck based on the whining I constantly read here. Her Galaxy 9 immediately started charging. I couldn't get my Galaxy Note 8 to charge initially, but one day driving gravel forest roads I looked down and noticed it was charging, so decided to give it another shot. Sure enough, if I slid it forward just enough, it immediately starts charging. Even on rough, winding, hilly roads, it takes a lot of movement to break the connection. I have seen the phone almost sideways and still charging. It only disconnects if it slides backwards a little, and very easy to nudge and reconnect with almost no effort. I guess it's just my type of phone and size, but I consider the wireless charging the biggest positive surprise of my truck so far given the negative expectations generated here.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Group think ??
Is it safe to add MagSafe charger on top of the stock charging pad or does it need to be unplugged?
Looking at adding this because it only uses one of the plugs and all of family has apple products
Belkin dual charging pad

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I got this one from TWraps and it works very well for me. I usually take the case off to charge but phones are so tough these days, you barely even need a case.
https://twraps.com/products/magsafe-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

only thing not great about it is that there's a lot of extra cord. I also bought their organizer tray so the cord actually ends up below the tray for the most part.
Sponsored